We decided to make San Gimignano our base for a week so we could travel around Tuscany and explore Siena, Lucca, Pisa and Florence from here. Ponte a Nappo was the best location for us to do all of this and being a renovated farm house, there was ample parking and no problems with security.
From the moment we arrived and were met by Andrea and Francesco (the sons), we knew we were going to love this place. Ponte a Nappo is an idyllic place to stay, just outside the city walls of San Gimignano, but close enough to hear the tolling bells and the drums when the city is in Fiesta. To reach San Gimignano is a leisurely 15 minute stroll up a gently sloping unpaved road, where the wild flowers almost reach out to greet you and the Tuscan countryside takes your breath away.
Carla (the mother) is a FANTASTIC cook and does so for all in-house guests a couple of times a week for dinner and will also cook you lunch daily (by request). Dinners are 4 courses and are approx €25 per person which includes a bottle of house wine per couple, which we found to be very good value. The food is home grown and cooked with love and you can really sense that. Andrea is a proud wine maker and doesn’t take too long to tell you that his wine has won awards! They also produce honey and it is to die for... We bought some and have carried it back to Australia – it is THAT good! The B & B itself has all the mod-cons that holiday makers like (Wifi, Satellite TV, Air-Con, Swimming Pool, etc) and is a very lovely and tranquil place to stay.
We opted to take Nespolo - the 2 bed roomed apartment - and it was very comfortable. It consists of a large ensuite queen bedroom on the ground floor, which had fantastic views across the swimming pool and out to the extensive stretches of vineyards and olive groves. Into a good sized living room, kitchen and dining room, all fully equipped and everything in working order. From here, upstairs, there is a mezzanine level which has another queen bedroom with ensuite bathroom and overlooks the living/dining area.
This was one of the BEST places we stayed on our Italian Tour and what made it so special?
Firstly, the location. You cannot beat this (but I recommend that you have a car).
Secondly, the charm, warmth and friendliness of Carla, Andrea and Francesco and their wives. Francesco speaks brilliant English and Carla understands German, Spanish, French and English, but replies in Italian! Andrea speaks pretty good French, and is his preferred second language, but can speak English if you speak to him slowly! They are just a lovely, lovely family and treat all the guests as part of their extended family.
Thirdly, Ponte a Nappo itself. It only houses 20 guests and when we were visiting there were around 16 guests and even so, remained calm and still had a sense of seclusion. You can tell that renovations have been done to the farm house and they are great. The gardens are well tended and the amount of vegetables and herbs that Carla brings into her cooking from the garden is just mouth wateringly good!
Would we go back? You betcha!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Busini Rossi Carla Holiday, the bed and breakfast of San Gimignano that offers 9 options of great prestige, scattered between the countryside and the historical centre of a wonderful UNESCO World Heritage hamlet. From the olive trees, the vineyards, and the swimming pool of the Ponte a Nappo country house, to the medieval charm of Palazzo Tortoli a short walk from the beautiful towers: rooms and apartments equipped with every comfort, finely furnished to preserve the authentic taste of a holiday in the heart of Tuscany. A truly magical bed and breakfast of San Gimignano where you can enjoy an experience rich in art, history and culture, home cooking and fine wines, relaxation, sun, and nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your B&B Ponte a Nappo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- b&b Ponte a Nappo Hotel San Gimignano
- Bed And Breakfast Ponte a Nappo
- B&B Ponte a Nappo San Gimignano, Italy - Tuscany