“You can't go wrong staying with Carla and her sons.”
Review of B&B Ponte a Nappo

B&B Ponte a Nappo
Ranked #23 of 67 San Gimignano B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Our most recent stay was in the fall of 2010, but we have stayed in various of the Rossi family's accomodations many times over the last 20 years. Each of their places in San Gimignano has its own particular charm. They are all immaculately cleaned and maintained. The furnishings are comfortable and appropriate to the overall feel of rural Tuscany. Carla, Francesco, and Andrea are helpful and friendly without smothering you. The town and the countryside around it are mind-blowingly lovely, spectacular, gorgeous, historical, healthy... I could go on and on.

San Gimiganan itself can be a bit crowded with day tourists, but in the early morning and after 5 in the afternoon, it feels like you are living in a castle with only a few other visitors, and what a castle the whole town is!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for B&B Ponte a Nappo

Reviewed October 24, 2010

We (my wife and another couple) all agreed that this was a fantastic place to stay and a highlight of our trip. We stayed at Palazzo Tortoli and had 2 rooms on the 2nd floor. First, if you are going to Tuscany, San Gimignano is a "must see" and as far as all of us were concerned this was a good place to travel out from. You will NOT be disappointed here. Great people! If you want other details email me at ... morog@aol.com

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmorog
Reviewed October 4, 2010

It was a mysterious place! We stayed at Tortoli appartment on the top of the tower at the very centre of San Gimignano, at Cisterna squire. Huge appartment with two bedrooms, kitchen, beautiful dining zone with chamney! Stunning view on Toscana and also on Cisterna squire!
Beautiful! Very good value for money! I would highly recommend this place! (Beware of a lot of stairs)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2010

This b&b is about a 35 min walk to the center of San Gimignano in a lovely rural setting surrounded by olive groves. It has a wonderful outdoor pool ideal for hot tuscan days and great poolside for relaxing and ready, AND a stunning view of the towers of San Gimignano above. Breakfasts were sufficient - they also offer a lunch menu which we didn't get. Rooms were spacious, very clean and modern with a/c. We would come back to this place but will stay at least a week!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed here after reading a recommendation from the travel guru, Rick Steve. If you haven't read his books...you must. His suggestions are great, especially when working on a budget.

Ponte Nappo is down a dirt road, only a 3 min drive from the heart of San Gimignano. The place has an AMAZING view of the town and rolling hills of Tuscany. The rooms are decent size and the comfortable.

I don't agree with previous posts about the staff not being friendly. Francesco, his mom, brother and all were extremely accommodating to my new bride and our two friends. Very hospitable. Yes, there are excess fees for small things and hopefully that is something that will be reviewed, but all in all this place is worth every penny. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I had never visited Italy before, but in May of 2008 , a friend and I from Canada stayed at Ponte a Nappo for a week . When you dream of Tuscany .....this is what you imagine!

Each morning early I snuck out of our room at 6am to swim in the Ponte a Nappo pool overlooking the misty hillsides and vineyards. (The only other person stirring was the gardener at that hour. )The view mesmorized me! I walked the country lane and visited the Lepre (rabbits/hare) in the vineyards until time for our buffet breakfast on the patio . One morning Carla (the Mother) brought a special treat of cherries from their own trees to add to the already abundance of tasty and wholesome food. I never felt limited as to what we could help ourselves to. The added treat was we had 2 handsome Italian men (Francesco and Andrea) serving us our coffee and tea--
From Ponte a Nappo we easily drove, meandering our way, to the hilltowns of Sienna, Cortona, Volterra, (etc) from here. Often we strolled the 10 minute walk into San Gigminano for shopping by day and each evening to use the internet, see the nighlife and have a bite to eat . (Two days we just sat around the pool sipping wine and eating cheese, fruit and bread) . .All the while--the magnificent view of San Gimignano and it's ancient walls watching over us.
...I have not a word of ill to say. Our room was very clean, simple but clasically decorated. A small fridge allowed us to store and snack on our own food . I found Carla charming without a word of understanding eachothers language between us. Francesco translated anything I needed said . Travel to me is about understanding and experiencing anothers life and world.. I insisted one morning.... .so graciously Carla let me help clear tables and chat with her while I waited for my friend... I found her to be very cute and friendly . My own unpretencious mom ....only Italian.
For a young man , Francesco runs the family business with style and concern for the guests' needs .. He has taught himself English for this reason and updated Ponte a Nappo with a running track. For us he went out of his way to download our photos onto a disc as our photo cards were full.
We shared our stay with young couples , friends travelling together , a few children. and a group of bike racers preparing for a race.... . each belonged and was welcome. Because Ponte a Nappo (the family also rents rooms in San Gigminano) is a family run and centered business . .....part of the charm for me was seeing the Rossi family (mother, father and 3 brothers) interact and also come to eat their mid-day meal together--Italian style. Wendy ps. sorry the kids removed my photos from the computer....trust me it is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed at Ponte a Nappo for four nights in the beginning of October. The location was perfect for us, and we enjoyed the fifteen minute walk up the country lane to San Gimignano and back at least twice every day (except the night it poured!). The view from the pool area is breathtaking. So for those two reasons we would definitely stay there again. We were determined to swim in the lovely pool even though it was a bit chilly, and I also felt that paying the 7 or 10 euros each was a bit of a money grab. I could understand a refundable deposit, but paying that much just to wash a bigger towel at the end of the stay seems a bit unreasonable. Breakfast was not one of the better ones we had in our Tuscany trip (if we were staying in one of the apartments we would not have come down and paid extra for it) and the regular coffee was very strange, forcing you to order the coffee that costs extra. All of the guests were commenting on this odd flavour (chickory one couple thought), so they must be aware that it is not just the plain coffee that you can find everywhere else in Italy. These smaller details would not deter us from staying again though. Francesco was helpful and we had no problems paying with a credit card at the end of our stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple