“Not my taste” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Pisa
Libourne, France
“Not my taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is over-the top modern. My room was painted black. Black floors, black ceiling, black walls. All of the lighting is indirect and since all of the surfaces are black, the room was very dim unless it was light outside and I had the curtains open. The hall leading to the room was also all black. I always had the feeling I was entering a spook house at Halloween. My daughter wanted to paint her bedroom like this when she was fourteen and I wouldn't let her, so maybe I had a bias or sensitivity about the dimness and lack of color. In spite of all this, the room was comfortable and well appointed.

The restaurant is fine. I had dinner once and the breakfast buffet each morning for a long weekend. Dinner was enjoyable with an especially nice wine. The breakfast buffet was typical Italian. My only complaint about the service was there never seemed to be anyone at the bar to get a café. I stood at the bar a few times, waiting patiently but expectantly and several employees passed by leaving me feeling totally ignored. Perhaps there was something I didn't understand about the way it was supposed to operate, but I would think the bar would be open and available before dinner.

The grounds are pretty and well-maintained but it was raining during my whole stay so I did not spend much time there.

Getting into Pisa is easy by bus. The hotel can tell you where to find the stops - one is just outside the hotel and the more reliable, active stop is a five minute walk. I walked into Pisa twice to stretch my legs - it's about a thirty minute walk and you have to cross a couple of busy streets without a cross-walk.

Getting to and from the airport is a short taxi that costs about €15 per trip. It is possible to get there by public transportation. The hotel has a shuttle but charges a fee for it and I completely ignored it because of this.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are all black - see the text.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Thistle3583

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Very modern hotel, a little cold at times which is not helped by there not being any carpets on the floors. Room was modern and bright with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was very good with all the usual foods you would expect to see. The city centre was a ten minute bus ride away, the buses were regular and only a short stroll to the bus stop. Clean and comfortable with a luxurious feel in some areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank princessNDJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews and were looking forward to trying a hotel that was clearly modern and a bit quirky. The room was very cold; we were upgraded and moved to another room but this was very cold too. We slept with our clothes on! The reception centrally control the heating and could not get the room warm. The food was ok, as was the wine, but expensive. The lighting in the corridors was gloomy and quite weird. In summary we were very disappointed and will not go back.

Stayed December 2012
7 Thank Mark C
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I like modern, but in my opinion this hotel was a little too futuristic. The room was too 'cold' for my liking, I found the lighting particularly unpleasant and harsh. The bathroom was practical rather than attractive. The outside space was pleasant and the hotel was well maintained. During my visit I relied on public transport and once you've worked out the buses they can work fairly effectively to get you into and out of the centre of town. I found the bus stop near to the hospital was the best for getting transport into Pisa.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sofarsogood2
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel had an interesting look to the rooms. It's a very futuristic hotel from look of the hotel to the room doors to the room. When we checked in we had the staff show us to our room and give us information on the room, such as the lights turn on automatically when you walk down the hallway and into the bathroom, how to turn on the t.v., and how to access the Internet. I really appreciated the personalized service. The room was very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was very good and there were a lot of choices. My only complaint, we were told the restaurant was closed for the evening, but we weren't told that a holiday party was going to take place. Our room was on the first floor, overlooking the courtyard and from 9:00 p.m. to about midnight we heard music from the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed there for christmas eve because of the restaurant. When we arrived, it was closed. No chrismas eve dinner for us. No apologies.

Internet did not work in the room. When we complained they said "it is not possible". Ok, i´m a moron, can connect my laptop and cell phone only in the reception, not inside the room. Did not fix it till the end of our stay.

Bad neighborhood, works if you have a car.

Staff, in the other hand, were great and really helpful (except for the one that said that it was impossible, and it was my fault that i could not connect to the internet inside the room), and the room really confort.

Breakfast just ok, not so good. 7 o´clock a.m. and eggs were gone, and no more were put there.

In the end, we left one day earlier than we had planned. Disappointed.

So, it´s a confortable 3 star, in my opinion, good for the price if you are on a budget and have a car to explore the region.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank RichardRio
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel has a very interesting quality/price ratio and is located at 100 meters from Cisanello Hospital. The room was elegant and functional at the same time. It was possible to have a self service breakfast from 5:00 a.m. The personnel was very helpful. Free wifi (not so common in Italy).
The hotel has a very good restaurant, we got a buffet lunch at 13:00 that was impressive in quality at a good price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple