“good value hotel”
Review of Hotel Astor

Hotel Astor
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hotel very central, close to the train station and all attractions. Room and bathroom clean. Bathroom a bit on a small side, if you are chubby you may have problems moving around. Staff friendly and helpful. You can buy breakfast for 5 euros - not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gosia K

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Worst hotel ever!!! Tiny and dirty rooms. No toilets in the room you have to go in the corridor. I asked for an extra pillow and the reception did not want to give me an extra pillow because he said he does not have because other guest stole them. Not to mention the unprofessional receptionist.

Room Tip: do not book in this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here with our two young boys (4 & 2).

Our rooms was VERY small.

It was clean though and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The Hotel is a nice 20 minute walk to the tower and 5 minutes walk to the main part of town.

A negative - we were in the airport in Krakow waiting our flight to Pisa and managed to acquire some Wifi to browse the internet on my phone. An email came through from Booking.com saying the Hotel would cancel our booking if we did not call through a new credit card number. We were due to arrive in Pisa at 10pm with our young famly.
If I had not checked my emails and made the call I hate to think what could have happened, but this is terrible service.

Oh, and the rooms have some kind of central heating that is impossible to turn off. Nights were uncomfortably hot. The lady at reception mentioned to us that we could open the windows?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The price for double room was different on internet(less 10 euro) from this in the hotel.The receptionist was very unprofessional and said that the price is 70 euro instead of 60 euro(as it was in internet) and will not sell it for less or give us any discount.
Highly not recommended|.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Piotr R
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had chosen this hotel for one night in August 2013 because it was close to the train station and because we had to leave early the next morning. When we arrived, the woman at the reception did not speak any English nor did she seem to understand or speak much Italian. All she had was a piece of paper with our booking half printed and unreadable. We had booked a double room with a private bathroom. We quickly found out that the bathroom was down a long corridor and not in suite. In addition, we were given a first room which did not have a double bed but two single beds instead. When we complained, we were given a room with a double bed but with no air conditionning. When we complained again, the receptionist (only staff in the hotel apparently) gave us back the initial bedroom and just pulled the two single beds together (according to receptionist, all double beds in the hotel are actually single beds put together). We never got a single word of apology.

The bedroom was tiny and had a terrible smell like vinegar or ketchup (impossible to get rid of the smell all night even by opening the window). The beds were very poor quality and squeaked and clicked any time we moved. The (private?) shower and toilet were down the corridor and were also tiny and barely clean. The rooms are very badly isolated so we could actually here the people in the bedrooms around us opening and closing the cupboard and drawers in their own rooms.

This hotel is a complete scam. A youth hostel would be cleaner, nicer and in better state than this hotel. It should not even be referenced on booking.com. It's cheap enough (60 € for the night) and that's what we wanted but for that price you still expect to be able to sleep and wash in a place which is decent. This hotel was not. We woke up in the morning feeling sick and itchy. Please avoid.

Room Tip: we saw rooms 109 and 111. 109 smelled like vinegar. 111 had no air conditionning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ndsqndq
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My boy-friend & I booked this hotel in July 2013 for 3 nights. The guy at the receptionist was very friendly and nice, but the rooms have a serious bed bug issue.

First we went to a room at the end of the hallway and this room smelled like a bad sourish vinegar and the Wi-fi did not work at all and then they moved us to another room which looked ok.
But on the night we arrived we got bitten by a lot of bed bugs, I almost got 12 bites only on one arm (see my photo attached), I rushed to the reception desk & show them my bites, they said NO NO that's mosquito bites. I knew by heart they were bed bugs bites and I got a lot more bites for the rest of my stay there. (Ruined completely my vacation)
The sad part is I brought them home with me and I also saw two of them crawling down my suitcase the first night I came back :-( They are all over my bedroom now & I have been fighting to kill them for the past 2 months!

Please please do yourself a favor and DON'T book this hotel and don't go through what I have been so far!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sepi s
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Good value for the money, it is a hotel with one floor, no elevator. The room we stayed in was clean but small, and also the shower was a little too small, but we were traveling a lot so we did not look for the extra comfort.
The real plus is that it is close to the train station, we were allowed to come in late and the receptionist is a great guy. He speaks very good english and also helped us with a map and places to eat.

• Stayed: July 2013