“Remarkable”

Hotel Alessandro della Spina
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Reviewed January 16, 2013

A lovely discovery in Pisa center - near the airport (5 min by car) and the train station (10 min by foot).
For the price (we paid 60 eur for 2 people, including breakfast, Wifi in the room), it's a deal! We stayed at 4* hotels in Florence and Rome that were very poor compared to this luxury 3 *.

Rooms and bathroom are very large, well furnished, well equiped. Breakfast is good.

Room Tip: If possible, don't take the 101, or 102... room. They are on the side of the street, and there i...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aude g

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel is clean and comfortable and is a very short taxi ride from the airport. We stayed in one of the junior suites, which was lovely and very spacious. As it was January Pisa was very quiet but the windows in the room seamed as if they would let in quite a bit of street noise in more busier periods but this was probably the only down side. The staff were friendly and helpful in pointing out directions to the tower and recommending places to eat. Overall very good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura H
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel ticks many boxes - clean, stylish interior, lovely breakfast with excellent espresso, good locale etc etc but it is the staff who make a place.
Yes they all spoke good English and no they didn't cringe at my hideous attempts at Italian but it is rare to find people in city establishments who truly care about your experience.
I stayed a second time on my return trip and was not disappointed.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: mine was the only single room (I think) but ample size, large bathroom and was well furnished
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joy M
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A clean hotel, very handy for Pisa station, and only 5 mins to heart of town, 20 mins to tower. Decent room. Very helpful staff/proprietor who cheerfully spoke excellent English. Frustrating intermittent wi-fi. Free but needed repeated logins.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I decided to book this hotel after reading many positive feedback on TripAdvisor, however my experience was quite disappointing. The guy at the check in desk was quite rude during the entire check-in process. We arrived late at night (we informed the hotel before) and I have got the feeling he was not happy to wait for that (I guess he wanted to sleep ?). I do not mention his face (and comments ... and I speak Italian) when we asked to have some tea in our room (which never arrived despite he said "Yes"). We have been given the room 113 (ground floor)
which unfortunately had a disturbing musty smell so I asked to change it and the guy at the reception threateningly said he would charge double if we have used anything from room 113. I explained him that we had just opened the door and checked the room and we did not touched anything. Eventually he gave us a new room (number 115) but again there it was the musty smell ! At this point I did not wanted to argue anymore and I went to bed. The room was not in a good shape and it was not very clean either : stained walls, damaged parquet, dust on the TV screen and lamps, etc. Moreover it was cold and humid and the aircon was not heating the room properly The bed was made by 2 single beds joint together with a gap in the middle that was widening as we slept. So the overall sleep experience was not something I would like to repeat.

CAUTION --> My girlfriend forgot her diamond ear rings on the bed side table when we left ... and guess what ? When we called the next day there was no trace of them ...

I will not come back here again and I do not suggest this hotel !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ZippoRoma
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wonderful hotel in close walking distance of the train station and the sites of Pisa. A short easy 15 minute walk to the tower and super close to shopping, restaurants, and other attractions. Room was clean, large, and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. There's also a decent breakfast buffet included with the room. An excellent value and also makes a good base to explore this area of Tuscany during day trips (for instance we took the train for the day to go to the Truffle Festival in San Miniato).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cheri S
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have read some of the 'average' reviews written here, and it seems that people forget how little they are paying to stay at a clean, comfortable, convenient location in one of the mst popular cities in Europe. We were delighted to find this hotel on Tripadvisor. If, however, you are expecting total silence, sumptuosly comfortable beds and a stunning view, you should check in to a 4 star or 5 star hotel and pay more than double the money. You simply will not find better value for money (probably anywhere in italy) than Hotel Alessandro della Spina. Our bed was not especially comfortable, and we could hear people moving around in the room above us, but I am still giving this hotel 5 stars. The lady at the desk is a gem!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple