My wife & I were on a short break to Florence & Pisa and this was our last night of the trip and also our wedding anniversary. Therefore we thought we would book a hotel that seemed that extra bit "special".
Good things first - the location cannon be beaten as it it is literally a few minutes from the leaning tower.
You can actually walk to the train station in 15 minutes and the river is only about 7-8 minutes walk.
Now the disappointing things:
On arrival - staff did not give us general information about location & times of breakfast.
Our deluxe room booking included a welcome drink - nowhere to be seen. We exepcted it in our room but I went to reception later and the man behind the desk seemed confused as if to say "Welcome drink - what welcome drink" ! Then he tried to make out he knew about it and said that it would be up on the 3rd floor in the special lounge..... No ... nothing up there at all.
Main problem was the air-conditioning .... there was none!.
When I complained to reception, the man (same as the one above !!) said that there was a law in Pisa that the air-conditioning could not start for another week! I found this hard to believe and I told him that the room temperature was 26 degrees. He said there was nothing he could do!
The next day - another staff member - said that it was broken and couldnt be repaired until after the weekend. Therefore the original staff member was lying!
Then in the room - the TV remote was broken and had no batteries - another complaint!
I was told at reception .... yes the same person .... that he would fix it .... he did with new batteries. I asked if there was Sky TV and he said no. I told him that it advertised on the web site about Sky TV but he said no - only Italian channels.
I told him our hotel in Florence - smaller and cheaper had satellite TV in 8 different languages (also laptops in room but thats another review i will make!). He apologised and said he could speak to the manager in the morning to which I said yes he should!
Other poor things:
Window shutter fastener was broken
Radio on the wall was broken
No clock in the room
Very loose toilet roll holder in the bathroom
No information in English in the room (other languages were available)
No pen/ pencil & paper in the room
And this was a deluxe room I booked!
In my opinion it was extremely overpriced and given the poor staff communication, definitely not the experience we wanted or expected.
I would advise people to give this hotel a wide berth.
Never again at this or probably not at any other Relais hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located really close to the leaning Tower of Pisa, the age-old Relais dell’Orologio is the ideal place to visit the City, its monuments, the University, its museums, its squares, its markets, its shops, its artisan workshops by foot and to move about its province towards Lucca and Versilia. For a romantic getaway, for a honeymoon, to experience art, culture and the humanity of the place, in other words to appreciate Tuscany. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Relais dell'Orologio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Relais Dell Orologio
- Relais Dell Orologio Hotel