1,243 results
All reviewsthe riverroof terraceoldest hotelcharles dickensgrand tourfaded grandeursteeped in historyantique furniturehistorical hotelleaning towerlovely old hotelhigh ceilingstrain stationfourth floornoisy at nightpiazza garibaldiminute walk
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I was staying in this hotel just before Xmas. It does have a historical character for sure but at the same time is really run down and putting off. As I discovered the following day after the arrival, it also hids an unpleasand surprise - bed bugs! When I woke up I noticed that the pillow was covered in dark spots (blood marks) and I found a creeping bed bug on the matress. For those who have not experienced it before, bed-bugs bites are appearing only some 10-14 hours after the stinging takes place. This way at the reception I was only able to complain about the living insect walking on the matress (for which a ridiculous 15% discount on the price was offered!!!) but not actual bites that were visible only the following evening. I counted some 300 of them and required an emergency aid for allergic reaction. Now when recontacted the hotel is ready to reimburse only the costs of the stay itself, despite health and moral dammages born.

Room Tip: Check well your matress before laying down
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Jezynka
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We only stayed one night in Pisa, overall the hotel was sufficient and had more character with the antique furniture and decor but the it is run down it is not well organized just various things cramed in one space. The elevators were small and made me a little nervous going in them however we were only on the second floor so without our luggage we just took the stairs. The rooms were sufficient in size for two people, however there was no AC or fans but we went in may so it was not very hot at that time but in summer months this could result in a big inconvienice. The breakfast was good, and it was very close to Leaning tower of Pisa that we just walked from the hotell. Overall the stay was average in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sunshine2333
Reviewed January 17, 2012

There's no doubt this hotel has a lot of character and history - you can imagine it was once a very grand place to stay in - but the charm ends in the antiques displayed in the corridors. The hotel really does need a lot of time and attention paying to the rooms.

While the room we stayed in was a good size, it was pretty spartan - just a bed, a wardrobe and a bedside table. The beds were hard and uncomfortable and the bathroom was basic. It reminded me of a room in a convent or something. We weren't expecting 5-star luxury, but to say this is 3-stars is probably pushing the boundaries somewhat, it's more like a backpacker's hostel.

Perhaps we were spoiled by the other fantastic hotels we stayed at on our Italian trip, but this stay really was a disappointing end to our holiday. We couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KevHurst
Reviewed December 18, 2011

When traveling I always stay in historic hotels fir their warmth and history. I have never stayed in a hotel with such good reviews that was so bad. The neglect of the structure, no repair for stucco that is damaged, no care in painting, tiles mis matched or nonexistent, chandeliers that show years of dirt, drapes missing, linens thin in need if updating and a previous review is correct as there are bed bugs in this hotel. Even in the lobby furniture. The staff were pleasant but the hotel does not invest in its upkeep. The breakfast was good but orange juice was not juice, but powdered orange drink, that's a certain sign of a direguard for quality, as well evidence from the moment one walks in if a disreguard for maintenance or restoration. At one time this must have been a fantastic hotel. You can see where the drapes would have hung & how when cared for it was beautiful. Now, I'd be pushing it to give it 2 stars. The ownership should put considerable investment into fixing and cleaning.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank smilyn
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed here only one night but a very nice hotel with lots of character. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple