All reviews croissants leaning tower room window perfect location can't beat the location friendly receptionist ham choose this hotel enjoyable stay minute walk short break bit dated bus stop budget hotel fabio florence cheese
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For our European travels this July, we booked all our hotels on line, so were reliant on a lot of customer reviews and we were not disappointed. Great location within the city walls and in a square right next to the Leaning Tower, Basilica and Cathedral. We could even see the leaning tower from our bedroom - wow.

The hotel was clean and the bedrooms comfortable, but on a closer look, the hotel could do with some refurbishment as the everything was looking a bit tired. Maybe the credit crunch was having an effect with reduced bookings, so that they could not re-invest profits into up-dating the hotel - not too much as it has loads of character which should be retained. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, but you were left to your own devises as to where to sit at breakfast and you had to go and ask the waitress for coffee.

There is a bar, but this was only opened up when you requested a drink and the two of us sitting alone was not the right way to finish off the evening, so we went just down the road to a more lively bar and soaked up the "ambiance".
I felt the hotel could have done more to maximise their position by having a café/bar style area with tables and chairs in the front to attract more custom, but maybe staff cutbacks/shortages made this not viable which seems a bit strange especially at the height of the tourist season when you have to collect in every Euro you can get.

That said, we were pleased we had stayed here and it was a great base for touring all the local attractions.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Arriving at this hotel is like entering a time warp and stepping back in time to about 1970. I felt oddly nostalgic as if I were reliving a family holiday to Italy when I was 15 (am now in my 50s) - even the smells were the same! If you prefer soulless, modern hotels like Novotel or Premier Inn - and the chance of bumping into Lenny Henry - then this probably isn't the hotel for you; however, if you're prepared to embrace the experience, with its softly faded furnishings (and staff) from a bygone age, this hotel will not disappoint.

Our room was simple, comfortable, clean with an amazing view: laying in bed looking out at the Leaning Tower (see my pictures) will stay with me forever. The AC - the only thing I saw of this millennia - was very effective - important when it's July and 32c outside...

The breakfast with limited cereal choice, juice, croissants, jams and cheap, shop-bought yoghurts was not brilliant, but actually perfectly adequate. If you're looking for a sumptuous breakfast buffet with traditional English fry-ups and cafe lattes, you will be very disappointed. This was very much a 'continental breakfast'. The elderly Italian waitress could certainly have done with some help and maybe a refresher course in guest awareness; I observed that people arriving at breakfast hovered, expecting at least some kind of welcome and hint at where they could sit but none came. Top tip: just sit anywhere and just ask the lady for coffee. Don't expect to asked.

When dining out at lunchtime or evening I suggest finding a restaurant well away from the main tourist drag where bustling restaurants rush your order as they want you out - bill paid - as fast as possible to free your table for the next customers, so there is little pleasure in eating and relaxing. I strongly suggest walking 5 or 10 mins away from the hotel (in direction of river) and dining at a much less busy restaurants in the quieter streets, who try much harder as they want you to return AND their food is way better.

Sight seeing: I suggest going up the Leaning Tower (open till around 9.30pm) in the early evening when it's cooler and the tourist busses have all departed and the crowds are way less. It's expensive though at 18 Euros each...

Room tip: Our family room had a separate tiny room for our child, which was brilliant. View down is of an uninspiring, side street, but amazing view of Leaning Tower - see photos.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank 377chris
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location of the hotel was absolutely fantastic, second to none - from our room we could see the tower straight on and about 200 m away. The room was clean and functional and the breakfasts absolutely OK. The staff was very friendly too.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vilve T
Reviewed July 24, 2013

A nice place to stay for a couple of nights in Pisa. We travelled with our daughter of 1,5 years old and requested a crib for her. We got a big room (maybe because of the crib?) with a balcony (the only room with a balcony?), so it was perfect for us. And it's litteraly next to the leaning tower.

We talked a lot to Fabio, a guy who worked there. He treated our little girl like a princess and she loved the attention. It's always nice to meet staff who treat you like a friend.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

And great location. Plus everything worked. Unlike the other writers, I got along great with the staff. The knew enough English for me. You can buy beer at the subway next door.

If you want to have the "old world" experience, this place is for you. When I'm in Europe, which is never enough, this is what i want. not over priced either i thought. If you want something new and modern, find something else, but for me to be able to open the windows was great. Most of the glass box hotels don't allow that.

Room tip: You can get a view of the tower if you ask.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends