“Excellent food, a few service quibbles”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Taverna di Emma

La Taverna di Emma
Ranked #20 of 946 Restaurants in Pisa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, a few service quibbles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Although we hadn't booked they managed to accommodate us in the foyer area (make sure you book!). Started with good selection of home made bread brought to your table (big plus in comparison to some of the bread we've been served). Everything on the menu looked delicious and we chose the cheese board with homemade chutney to start and both had homemade ravioli for main. Prices are top end but the food certainly reflects this. We finished with frozen ricotta, chocolate sauce and strawberries, overall it's the best meal we've had so far this trip. The only quibbles were they didn't ask us about drinks, the waitress took our plates away even when we weren't finished and we ended up going to the till to pay. Definitely go.

• Visited September 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vada, Italy
“An interesting place close to the Leaning Tower”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Although placed in a super-touristic area (right behind the leaning Tower), this place serves "revisited" recipes with local and traditional food, both for the first courses and the meat. Every day they have some specials, so I recommend to get some advice from the waiters. It could be a little pricey, but definitely a good choice if you are in this area.

• Visited June 2013
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Splendid lunch in pleasant retaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Taverna di Emma is a non-touristy restaurant for local people. From the outside, it doesn't look especially promising. However do not be deceived: the enthusiastic, delightful chef and charming, helpful service produced a gastronomic lunch for us: superb home-smoked carpaccio of tuna and swordfish and delicious medium rare-beef. The chef was enormously helpful to our friend who needed a dish suitable for coeliacs. Terrific wine, too, selected by the waitress who patiently translated the Italian menu into English for us in heavily accented English.

Can't comment on the pasta as we didn't choose any.

Altogether an excellent find and a holiday highlight!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank David B
Sweden
“Pleasant place with room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at La taverna di Emma. The restaurant was mainly frequented by Italians, so I did not have a touristy feeling.

The quality of the food was high and the staff was attentive.

However, having eaten so good food in Italy before, I have to say that I was not impressed. My pasta with aubergine/melanzane was well executed but I found it slightly bland. Since I was in a hurry I did not have time to order Antipasto, secondo o dolce, so it is not possible for me to judge a restaurant just on one dish.

I would be happy to try this restaurant again the next time I am Pisa to see if I have better luck with other dishes.

• Visited August 2013
Manila, Philippines
“Flavors of Pisa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Probably the best Truffle pasta in town. Whats even better about it is that its just a block away from the amazing Leaning Tower of Pisa. If you want to know what authentic Italian cuisine is, La Taverna di Emma will bring out the best of it. Finally, it will set your mood for the ultimate Tuscan experience.

• Visited October 2012