“What a ripoff”

Cuisines: Italian
Description: Bar Roma visited on route to Pisa Tower and close to the river
Description: Bar Roma visited on route to Pisa Tower and close to the river
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came here with my mom who was extremely hungry and I simply tagged along to keep her company. All she ordered was a plate of gnocchi (8 euros) and a cup of tea (price not listed on the menu). I graciously told the server that I wasn't hungry. When it came time to pay, the bill was given to us with a grand total of 18.50 euros...and for what? My mom got up to ask the woman and she immediately started shouting and didn't want to explain. She then lowered the bill to 16 euros and again to 14 euros. She claimed that I had to pay a service fee for just sitting down and then changed her mind and said that the cup of tea cost 4 euros. We paid for only what we ordered and walked out.

I feel so sorry for other people that fall into this woman's trap seeing that this has happened before. What's worse is that little kids who come to visit Pisa may not know how to count money and will be easily scammed.

There are newer reviews for Bar Roma

Reviewed September 9, 2012

had lunch there with my family, nice break in mid way to the tower, food is also very nice but what they charge for drinks is not quiet nice... Spend like €60 in which half was for 3 cokes and 2 coffees really. So recommend foods but not bevarages :-)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

It's just terrible. This place is sucks. Dirty chairs and tables, personnel trying to rip you off on every step: you pay for serving each person, you paying for candy that you receives when asking about checkout, you paying for roasted pizza and paying for still water even if it just from pipeline.
When you see that place better to look at the people who seating there and why all of them so sad. Now you know why.

2  Thank Alwex
Reviewed June 19, 2012

After two cardboard pizzas and a beer and coke, we noticed that the dutch/german/austrian couple at the next table were querying their bill and unhappy. When our bill came it was 35.5 euros and not itemized. When we queried this, girl serving said she could do nothing about it, we would have to see management inside. I queried bill with woman behind counter - writing down prices quoted and adding it up myself (language problem?). 2 x Pizzas at 8.5 E: 1 medium beer at 6.5, Coke at 4.5, some sort of cover charge at 4. Still came to only 32 - which I paid. Had we realised we could have walked up the road to a much better area, adjacent to the Tower, and paid less for what we saw later, to be better. This place was the worst of everything we came across in otherwise beautiful Tuscany.

1  Thank Victoria462
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Unfortunately I didn't check the reviews on Tripadvisor beforehand, but as already stated here by other reviewers, food is average, but all the extras (to which you will only be aware of when you see the bill) are a complete rip off. 2 euros just to out the plate in front of you, plus 2 euros for what very much looked like tap water (they didn't bring the bootle, just a 1l jar with water) and a written bill with the final amount. You then have to ask for the cost split and, by the reaction, I'm sure they are used to be asked, as they were very at ease with the "rip-off" explanation. Please avoid this place at all cost, this guys don't deserve to be in business! Better off in the true "turistic restaurants"

1  Thank Tobiasman