“Very clean and nice, and the host is very friendly!”

Relais Sassetti Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 243 Pisa B&B and Inns
Boston
“Very clean and nice, and the host is very friendly!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed in the Blue Room. It was very nice - large and with a great bathroom. Flat screen TV (for those who care to watch TV in Italy), mini fridge. The bath towels were like the ones we're used to in America - big and fluffy. Actually, huge and fluffy. There was even a nice bathrobe that was so comfy I almost wore it to bed. A cute little courtyard is right outside your door.

Simona is extremely nice. She even made herself available to give me the key when I arrived after 9:30pm (and couldn't call to tell her I'd be later than expected, because my phone wasn't working). She also was patient with me when I realized I didn't have enough cash to pay her on the last morning and had to go to a cash machine and meet her back later at lunchtime to pay.

The room is on the first floor, but it felt very safe because the only access was through 3 doors: one very heavy one to the building, another metal gate into the courtyard, and then the one to the room.

Breakfast is in the room next door in the courtyard. Some other reviewers have hinted at this, and in the interest of being honest, I have to agree that breakfast isn't the best I had. It's pretty much completely packaged. There is nothing cooked or baked there. Pastries, yogurt, juice, etc, all come in packages. So, I would think of this more as a bed than as a B&B. This was ok with me, because I was very happy with the room, and, again, Simona was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in Pisa with our family coming from the UK where we live to visit relatives in Pisa living just round the corner. We immediately loved the place, especially the kids who loved the court with a lovely garden and turtles to play with! Simona the host is friendly and helpful. The rooms were great especially the Lions apartment one with beautiful furniture, classy stairs and yellow and blue tiled bathroom giving on the court. Simona prepared a sumptuous breakfast in the garden the following morning. We really enjoyed our stay and we advise anyone who wants to have a break in Pisa to stay at Relais Sassetti. You will not be disappointed! Thank you again to Simona.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna B
Cambridge Uk
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I wholeheartedly recommend Relais Sassetti Bed and Breakfast. We stayed four nights in the Lions Apartment, a a clean, spacious, and comfortable dupleix with a kitchen corner. The location is amazing: in the historical centre, 10min walk from Pisa's central station and 10m from the Leaning Tower, close to many good restaurants. Simona, our host, was very helpful and friendly. Giving advance notice of my dietary requirement made it possible for her to provide me with a gluten-free breakfasts - wonderful! It also turns out that Simona speaks French well - a treat for us. I enjoyed the experience of staying in an old palazzo, with its high ceilings and thick walls; our son enjoyed spotting the two tortoises in the courtyard and being allowed to play table tennis. The thick walls made the internet connection often go weak, except close to the windows or outside - fortunately that was not a priority!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PGRCambridgeUK
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in Pisa back in September, we are so sorry it has taken us this long to write a review.
We really enjoyed our stay at the Relais Sassetti. We stayed in the well room which was was peaceful and spotless. Simona was a great host and her English was more than adequate enough to advise on places to eat - we took her recommendations as well as others we had reserached in advance, we recommend visiting the ice cream shop she suggests - we tried many different places during our stay but this was the best! She was very helpful and gave us a map and highlighted suggested places to visit and routes to walk to get there. Breakfast was just what we needed, there was no fruit on the first day but this was not a problem as we had some in our room, we were going to ask but forgot and on the second day fruit was provided anyway. Simona made it very clear if we wanted anything just to ask...we never needed to as everything was provided. We enjoyed sitting in the quiet courtyard and watching the tortoises running around. Everything was within walking distance of the B and B and we actually managed to visit all the sights we wanted to see and still have time left over, this allowed us to visit the market just across the river on our last morning and purchase some cheeses to bring home. Our flight wasn't until late afternoon and we were due to check out in the mroning but Simona let us leave our bags and collect them later that day as well as booking our taxi back to the airport. We felt like we were simply in our own apartment for the weekend which was what we wanted, we had a key and came and went as we pleased. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Visit the little store opposite the B & B entrance, we purchsed fantastic fruit, olives and beer...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rickash
Devon
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here in the well room. Good price, nice breakfast, Simona is helpful and the house is lovely - situated in a great area of Pisa. You can walk to all the sites in PIsa from the house. Recommend highly

Room Tip: Well Room was very quiet - could not hear any noise from the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed two nights in the Relais Sassetti and overall felt underwhelmed. Our room was off a scruffy courtyard that was in dire need of grooming. The room was clean and adequate (no English speaking chanels on TV) but a lovely modern bathroom - overhead shower but no shower caps (a nightmare for women not needing to wash their hair). Simona was pleasant but had rather limited English so found it difficult to recommend places to visit or eat. Breakfast was disappointing and mainly consisted of some fresh bread, 2 sweet pastries and a basket of prepacked toast and croissants and yoghurts - the next day the same bread was presented which was rock solid, even though there was a bakers shop right across the street. We had to go in search for the coffee - there were 2 sachets in our room, but they were not replaced the second night, and no milk - although there was milk the second night, but no coffee). At breakfast we were only offered one small cup of coffee which was delivered to our saucers!
With attention this could be a lovely stay, we just felt that the bare minimum was met to extract our money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Simo4, Proprietario at Relais Sassetti Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guests,

First and foremost I would like to apologise for my delay in replying to you, as I was very surprised by your review.

I have always asked my guests clearly if all is well and if they need anything, but during your visit I never heard anything from you while you were staying with us.

With regards the shower cap, I apologise I obviously had forgotten to replace them in the room, all you had to do was ask for them.

As for breakfast, I have never given stale bread or bread from the day before to my guests, I serve fresh and toasted bread every day and as far as coffee is concerned, coffee is always available until 10:30 and one can have as many coffees as they wish. As for the pricing, the prices are shown clearly on my website, and I did not charge any extra for your child.

With regards the garden, the leaves fall in October and we clear them frequently but nature takes its course and it is not always possible to clear them all the time.

I had already apologised soon as you arrived about the scaffolding on other side from your room, but unfortunately maintenance on buildings must be done from time to time and no time is a good for a bed and breakfast that is open all year.

As for my English, I'm sorry if you feel that it is not good enough, but at certain times of the day is not easy to switch from Italian to English to French continuously. I have my limitations.

But what I regret most is that you did not say anything when you were with us so that I could have made your stay with us more pleasant.

Yours sincerely Simona
falkirk
Reviewed October 2, 2012

this was a great find. it is in the centre of pisa within walking distance of everything you want to see in pisa. We were in the well room a small but comfortable room with on suite, fridge, kettle and a fan. You look on to a small court yard where you can eat breakfast or relax and have a drink.
Simona who runs the B'B was great nothing was too much trouble she would always go that extra mile to make sure you were happy.
It was my birthday when i was there and i was given a bottle of champayne unbelievable. would recommend to all.
The area had wi-fi which gave a good reception. You had your own keys to come and go as you wish. good for couples or a family. Would not think you could get a better place to stay in Pisa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple