“My favorite place for a "calzone"”

Pizzeria Il Montino
Ranked #46 of 983 Restaurants in Pisa
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Il montino has been my favorite pizzeria in Pisa since I was at school, quite a long time ago. We always went there for a "frittella con cecina" or a slice of pizza. Since then, it has never deceived me: their "calzone" is definitely the best you can have in Pisa. Although you may find it very busy on certain hours and days... it is worth queuing up a little bit.

1  Thank Laura N

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We rolled into Pisa very hungry, right as all the restaurants were shutting down for their mid-day break. Unfortunately, this place was at the top of our list of places to hit up. The waiter informed us upon our arrival that pizzas weren't being served and that all they could do for us was whip up some sandwiches. Man, what a fantastic alternative. Without any hyperbole here, I'll say that the sandwiches that the guy behind thing counter literally threw together based on his "recommendation" (i.e. I had no idea what he was putting in there), were outstanding. My wife ended up with a simple mozzarella tomatoe prosciutto combo, and I ended up with a shredded beef, onion, cheese, mushroom/oil combo. Both were toasted in the pizza over on ciabatta and simply delicious. To the point where I was asking myself if I had had a comparable sandwich in the past year or so. Yeah....so don't even fret the pizza, get a sandwich and just have the guy throw you together one of his favorites. Also....lots more beers available than your average Italian pizza joint. I'd absolutely go back to this place again. I guess it was in our guidebook for a reason. I do wonder what their pizza is like though. Probably awesome.

It should be noted that this place is in a really weird spot that you have to sort hunt for, tucked in the back alley behind some other larger buildings (maybe there was a church in there somewhere I don't remember), and a bit out of sight from any main drag.

1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

if you are looking for a quick lunch, the best option is to get the typical "cecina" ham or just pepper!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Il Montino is a little difficult to find, but the rewards are consistently good pizzas for a reasonable price. You can either order fast slices at the counter to go, or be seated inside or outside for a longer meal. They also have the old Tuscan speciality, the torta di ceci, or chickpea (garbanzo bean) flatbread, which is like a savory chickpea crepe - hard to describe, but really good. We once experienced a cranky server, who mocked our friend's attempts to speak Italian, but on other visits he has been just fine. We still go regularly anyway, which speaks well for the quality of the establishment.

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I pass through Pisa during July and I was looking to a place to eat something quickly...
I looked on the web and I found some good news about this place and considering I was nearby I decided to try.

It's a very small place were you can eat pizza and other kind of street food but if you go there you must try "focaccia with cecina" a typical dish made with focaccia cutted like a sandwich and inside there is a kind of flat cake mede with "ceci".
You can add anything you want: I tryed with mushrooms and eggplant, it was marvellous!

The place is very small so it's betterr to take away your lunch but the atmosphere and people are typical from Tuscany and food is great!

1  Thank Navigator78