“Nice outdoor space, okay food and service.”
Review of Stella Polare Bar - CLOSED

Stella Polare Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had dinner outside at Stella Polare Bar. Our dinner was fine and very reasonable, but certainly nothing special. The service was good but not overly friendly. Probably better suited for lunch than it is for dinner.

The restaurant was recommended by our hotel. I'm sure there were better places in town, but it was fine for our needs on this particular evening.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Great service, good location and always busy. Menu is good with decent sized portions and well cooked and presented food

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Last time I was in Lucca, we were too enthralled by the two majestic towers and the labyrinthine tunnels to notice the little that we ate. This time around, however, by the time we arrived in the town it was after 2.00 and we were famished. Unfortunately, our efforts to find lunch were met with closed kitchens and lacklustre 'tourist menus', so we were on our last legs when the sight of Stella Polare struck us from across the piazza.

A charming waitress seated us al fresco and took our order: antipasto toscano followed by tortelli lucchesi al ragu for me, and the millefoglie di melanzane and pollo alla cacciatora for the lady. The first course promptly came, served with warm, fresh, yielding bread, water and a smile. Also notable were the exceptional quality oil and balsamic - something all too often overlooked in some restaurants.

My antipasto consisted of a platter of local salumi, a crostino liberally smeared with pate, a glistening bruschetta and a small bowl of olives. All was delicious, particularly the guanciale (the first time I'd tasted it and sure to be followed by many more). Whilst I did not taste the aubergine construction, milady assures me it was very nice, and it was certainly presented beautifully with an elegant swirl of fresh pesto.

After dealing with the group of guffawing Americans and the disenchanted, alcoholic English couple who had just rocked up, the waitress brought our second course. The pasta portion was generous and both the filling and the sauce were sufficiently meaty whilst still moist and tasty. The chicken was tender but otherwise nothing extraordinary - a standard pollo alla cacciatora, it seems.

We were too full for dessert but shared an iced coffee - ordered unaware that it would simply be a chilled espresso, which was not, however, unpalatable - ordered the bill and took our leave of the friendly establishment.

Around €45 in total including pane e coperto for two, two antipasti, a primo, a secondo, a coffee and two litre bottles of water. You could do much, MUCH worse in Lucca.

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

This is the place if you are searching for a great atmosphere. Our waitress, chiara, was absolutely great. Their pasta was very good. And the fact that TOTO had their sound check at the time didn't make it worse ;)
I really recommend this place!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I agree with some of the other reviews - the restuarant has nice seating outside and it's a good way to relax and rest during the tiring business of sight-seeing. I didn't want any more than a cesar salad and it was nicely presented with wallnuts and finely shaved parmesan. But it wasn't anything special - my daughter made one just as nice when we got home to France. Service was fine although we waited a long time to pay. The ice-cream desserts looked lovely but we just didn't have room! My rating looks poor, but the atmosphere was lovely - I hesitated between average and very good!