“A miracle!”
Review of Villa Michaela

Villa Michaela
Ranked #41 of 176 Lucca B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2010

When a trip to China was cancelled at the 11th hour, I was in Italy I had to improvise at the 11th hour. Through a recommendation I arrived in Villa Michaela and was embraced by Vanessa, and fortunately for me her extended family, I arrived during her son's 19th birthday celebrations and the party continued from there. Villa Michaela became my base whilst my godchildren joined me, we explored Pisa on their arrival and then Lucca - 5 minutes from the house - and finally Florence before venturing further afield - always returning after a week or so and on each occasion we had such fun, from the local karaoke, something I thought I would never do - which was highly entertaining when up to 20 from the Villa participated! Dinners, which were delicious, could be 4 or 20 and on occasions were memorable in dining room with has 3 of the most spectacular chandeliers I have seen.
Villa Michaela is ideal for people who enjoy country weekend house parties in authentic period surroundings - perhaps not for those who like a sterile environment and expect International 5 star service. It certainly has my vote and my godchildren keep pestering me as to when they can return - with WiFi access and a Cinema room they considered it the best holiday they had ever had!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2010

I flew into Pisa airport and was met by a driver that took me to Villa Michaela, high on a hill in the most charming countryside of Tuscany. The Villa is a very old restored property that made me feel like I was a princess in a fairy tale. Long lunches by the pool, with the other guests, dinners at nearby Villa's also owned by the same proprietors. My room had an awesome view of the hillside covered in Olive Groves, and at night you could see this enormous Cross all lit up at the top of the hill over looking our village. Just a 2 minute walk outside the gates of the Villa is a sweet town of Vorno, with an old historic church, bridges and a stream with the cleanest water. I noticed that people drove up from around the area to fill their water bottles with the local spring water. I enjoyed the pampering of the staff, they shopped personally for me, and made me my meals. We ate in superb dining rooms with antique chandeliers and such old world charm. I never wanted to leave Tuscany or Villa Michaela. I made many friends here, and we often went out singing at the local Karaoke bar together called Bimotto's, which is literally a half a block down the street. I also liked how close it was to go to the ancient walled city of Lucca. I joined other guests in day road trips to Montepulciano, the wine country of Tuscany. Each day I was served the best Italian Champaigns called Proseco. It was the best. The pool at Villa Michaela was something I dove into every day, as it gets quite hot in Vorno in July. The night offered a cool evening breeze, but I enjoyed sleeping mid day in my air conditioned room, with a much needed nap. I think the whole area is very much like Napa Valley in Northern California, which is where I am from. Simply elegant. There is also a chapel at Villa Michaela that had interesting historical value. I enjoyed going in there and sitting on the marble floors and soaking up the energy. The staff was very helpful in helping me get the most out of my trip to Italy, by suggesting places to go and see. The restaurant recommendations were out of this world. I highly recommend Scampilio restaurant if you visit Villa Michaela. The only problem with my trip to Tuscany was the 10 pounds I gained from eating such amazing pasta dishes. I am smiling, remembering each and every bite! A million thanks to Villa Michaela's staff, they really personalized my visit and made this the dream vacation of a life time. I highly recommend staying here over a hotel any day of the week. It's private, and takes you back in time and makes you feel as if you lived in Tuscany a few hundred years ago.... only much much better. I know they didn't have the luxuries then that this Villa now offers. I will go back again in this life time, and take someone I love. It's a very romantic get away that is not easily forgotten. I will take the memories of my time here with me for a life time.

Pamela Bryant
from Los Angeles, California

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Villa Michaela is an beautifull and historic villa , but thats were it ends. The whole villa is dirty , the bedding , matresses , pillows etc are disgusting and filthy. The soft furnishings have not been cleaned i would think in years. The carpets are stained and curtains are dusty and full of cobwebs.The grounds are un kept and the poolside area is in need of some care and the sunbeds old and broken. The staff can not speek english , i think they are polish and seem also to work on the ongoing building site within the villa grounds. So to sum up definitely not 5 star and definitely not worth the money !

• Stayed: June 2010
8  Thank traveller2240
Reviewed February 6, 2009

This property is a gem and though it is wonderfully grand with acres of space both inside and out, it felt very intimate, warm and homely. Both we and our two labrador dogs were made to feel very welcome and we would recommend it to everyone who wants to stay in a beautiful Tuscan manor house that is delightfully peaceful and far away from lifes hustle and bustle. We can thoroughly recommend the main restaurant in Vorno if you love real Tuscan cuisine and there are of course a plethora of good restaurants in Lucca. Lucca is actually very accessible from Villa Michaela and such a stunning city that we visited it every day of our stay and would definitely return. It is far less touristy than Siena but just as beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We arrived at Villa Michaela on a hot summer’s evening, unaware of the experience awaiting us. The Villa was stunning and beautifully furnished, surrounded by idyllic gardens and pool. We were warmly greeted by the owner, Vanessa. My teenage children were pleased by the delightful company of other young people staying at the Villa and enjoyed the extensive facilities; tennis courts, pool table, home cinema to name but a few. Furthermore, the location was perfect - we were able to enjoy the picturesque village of Vorno and the ancient town of Lucca, a short 15 minute drive away. This was a truly memorable holiday, not only for the serenity and beauty of the Villa, but for the warmth and hospitality extended to my family. We shall return!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank RAZ55
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I arrived at Villa Michaela in wonderful sunshine - opera music was playing in the background and the scent of roses and honeysuckle greeted me at the entrance. Villa Michaela is a magical place, full of charm, personality and presence. A wonderful villa with an even more wonderful family who owns it. They make you feel so welcome and so at home you won't want to leave. Wonderful dinners cooked in the Limonaia are a highlight and a swim in the magnificent pool. Lot's of chilled white wine and antiques add to the stay. A wonderful local restaurant in the little village completes the food experience and is run by an amazing Italian family who also own the local shop and bar!

I would come back to Villa Michaela in a shot! It now feels like family and a home from home - although a very magnificent home!

Please visit... it's enchanting. It truly is Tuscany on a silver platter!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 17, 2008

we had a wonderful stay at Villa Michaela - the owners swept us up into their family life and treated us like friends - full of advice of where to go in the area and even brought their chef Lucca in to cook us all a delicious meal on our arrival night. the Villa has been magically and inspirationally restored by the owners and I couldnt praise it highly enough Robina and Alastair Farley

Stayed: April 2008