“Not as shown in photos...but Great Breakfast!”
Review of Al Tuscany B&B

Al Tuscany B&B
Ranked #46 of 177 Lucca B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were put in the upstairs room facing the rooftops. The room was a good size, but the bathroom was very cramped & toilet didn't flush well. TV didn't work at all. Breakfast was quite substantial & very delicious!

Room Tip: Ask to see the bathroom first - the downstairs rooms are better, I believe
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We only stayed at this hotel for 1 night. The owner was friendly and showed us our room which was neat, clean and beautifully decorated. The quality of the breakfast was quite good as well. Will recommend this BB!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed June 8, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I needed to find a place to stay at short notice in Lucca and Claudio at Al Tuscany proved to the perfect place for me. This is a real home away from home experience, I stayed for seven nights - broken up into two with two nights in Venice in between - Claudio graciously stored my excess baggage for me whilst I was away. This was just one example of how Claudio went out of his way to help me.

Upon return I was soooo tired, he made me a sandwich meaning I didn't need to go out for dinner. This wasn't the first time he made me a sandwich, or coffee, etc, in the small kitchen which guests are welcome to use if you keep it tidy, etc.

My room was the small attic room up the little ladder-ish stairs. The room reminded me of being on a boat - with a low ceiling and a little hatch window in the ceiling. It wouldn't be to everyone's taste but for the price was one of the nicer rooms I stayed in in Italy and frankly I wasn't in the room much, the bathroom was lovely, and Claudio's hospitality more than made up for the lack of a wonderful view.

As I was also looking for a place for my parents to stay, Claudio also showed me a lovely room which is obviously his most upmarket room - it was lovely, spacious, with nice views, etc. So I would recommend this to people on a budget wanting a cheap place and also to those with a bit more money to spend wanting an authentic Italian experience vs a generic hotel.

Breakfast was included and was a good start to the day. Because there was a shared breakfast dining table this was a good opportunity to meet other travelers (I was travelling solo).

Al Tuscany is on the top level of a building in Via Cenami which is right smack bang in the middle of everything in Lucca, it is really an excellent location. I stayed in Lucca for two weeks and found the location be absolutely superb. Whilst its on the top floor, there is a modern lift to help with your luggage and Claudio hauled my bag up the additional stairs to my room for me.

One important note is that Claudio doesn't live on site, so you would pay to contact him before you arrive to ensure that he is there when you plan to check in. I did hear of a pair of travelers whilst I was there who were stuck out on the street because Claudio was not in when they arrived. There is no reception to wait in, so make sure Claudio knows that you are due to arrive.

So, in short, a great little find in Lucca.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you, make sure that you are not in a room in the attic space.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RowsyLizard
Reviewed March 27, 2012

First of all I would like to thank Claudio, the owner, for his warm welcome. He was extremely accommodating. We woke up late, after the breakfast hour, but he still sat us down and prepared lovely fresh orange juice and home made cappuccino for us as well as a very nice breakfast.

The location of the B&B is perfect for a week-end break in the lovely city of Lucca. The room we had was quiet and nice, with a very good shower.

The B&B is clean, charming and lively. I strongly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2012

is the perfect place to stay while exploring Lucca, and indeed, Pisa, and the Tuscan hills to the north. Al Tuscany is located in an historical building dating to the 1200's, but the accommodations are comfortable with ensuite bathrooms. Claudio, the owner, is there from morning to night, preparing breakfast (fresh-squeezed OJ, bruschetta, crostada, to name a few of the offerings) overseeing the cleaning and prepping of rooms, and greeting guests upon arrival. The suites are the largest rooms, and those of the mansarda offer a view of the famous Guinigi Tower. There is an elevator to get your bags up to the 3rd floor. Jerry, Claudio's old, but very welcoming black and white dog, will probably be the first to greet you when you alight from the acensore. Al Tuscany is a good place for couples or families as well as singles. Guests from all of Europe and the US stay at Al Tuscany over and over again.

Room Tip: Suites are bigger and located away from the street
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Best hotel experience in Italy.
Felt like home. Owner was very nice and helpfull. We would like to come back and highly recommend to others. This hotel was one of our warmest memories of Italy.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple