“Best in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Da Pasquale

Da Pasquale
Ranked #1 of 585 Restaurants in Lucca
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Prague, Czech Republic
“Best in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

With my girlfriend we love great food and wines. I have visited many top restaurants in Italy, including some Michelin stars too and I believe that many don't live up to the quality and purity of the dishes you will try here. We have arrived in this cozy family place first time on Friday and we had to come back on Sunday again. That how good it was. Talent of the Sicilian Chef combined with the wine and food knowledge of Pasquale - the owner, who takes care of the guests in person, makes all the difference. Menu is handwritten and wine list is really wide, plus there are few bottles not listed - the hidden gems of Pasquale. He will always give you a fair price on those., so Buon Appetito and Salute...............Try his Rosso Montalcinos and the pasta dishes........

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Washington
“Please change the lady that answer at the phone !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was so angry ! After reading all the wonderful reviews of this place,we wanted to dine here....oh god it was a nightmare finding a free table that eventually i just gave up !

I called them three times : the first time it was a saturday evening and i tried to explain with my poor italian that i wanted to book a table to a rude lady who told me that i had to call again because she didn't knew if they had room. OK i can get that,the problem is that i was given the exact same answer the other two times i called for different days !

Just change the person that answer the phone if she can't handle it ! Is it so hard to see if you have room or not ? i get it,could happen once,but not three times in a row....

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful - an unmissable dining experince!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Da Pasquale twice during a week-long stay in Lucca in June and we can't recommend it highly enough.

We first visited on a Friday evening. We didn't have a reservation but Pasquale was determined to fit us in. Fortunately, he had a cancellation while we were chatting to him but I think even if he hadn't he would have done his best to find us a table somewhere.

We started with the 5 plate taster menu which was just amazing. My favourite was the ricotta with lemon, pistachios and a wafer, and my boyfriend loved the tomato puree/bread and prawn dish but every plate was better than the one before. The mini baked potato with a quails egg is also worth mentioning. For main, he had steak with porcini mushrooms and I had tordeli filled with prawn and asparagus. And for dessert we had cannolo - SO delicious.

Although the food at Pasquale's is wonderful, what really made this restaurant stand out was the service. Pasquale found time to speak to everyone at the restaurant and to recommend wine (he was the head of wine on a cruise ship for 20 years so definitely ask his opinion when ordering), and to describe the wide selection of prize-winning olive oils he serves with delicious focaccia when you sit down. He is genuinely passionate about the food and wine that he serves and in my opinion, he is what makes at Da Pasquale so memorable.

When he brought out dessert, Pasquale also gave us each a glass of dessert wine, a glass of orange liquer and, the second time we visited, almost all of a bottle of Muscat - all on the house. Our whole meal came to about Eur 80 - very reasonable for such a brilliant dinner.

On our way out, we booked again for a couple of days later and when we returned the food and service were just as good as the first time, if not better. If you're going to Lucca I really recommend Da Pasquale and I suggest calling to book before you go (he speaks perfect English so phoning up should be easy) - that way you'll have time to visit again later on in your trip, I promise you'll want to!

• Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An experience you must not miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful vacation in Lucca and had the good fortune of spending an evening at Da Pasquale osteria to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had our two sons, twenty five and twenty four years old, and a very close friend of the family with us. I had seen reviews for Da Pasquale and the agent in our rental apartment also recommended this restaurant for a special occasion - I would go for any reason so don't miss it. If you don't have an occasion to celebrate then just go because you will celebrate once you taste the food and wine!

We started with the five course appetizer taster (which became 7) - do not miss this. It was superb. Each small bite was delicious and we experienced new tastes and textures (squid ink cous cous and silky whole potatoes cooked with a quail egg inside!!). Everyone (5 of us) loved every dish - that's practically unheard of no matter how great the place is. The secondi and primi were just as impressive, a pistachio pasta dish, the best ravioli we have ever eaten and a melt in your mouth steak. The wines were also exceptional and we learned so much from Pasquale himself who came to every table and spent time explaining the dishes, recommending wines, and sharing interesting stories. He was delightful and such a gracious host.

I cannot say enough great things about this place. It was the perfect place to celebrate my husbands birthday and pasquale made it an experience we will never forget. If you are staying in Lucca you MUST go (only seats 30 people so book in advance so you don't miss out). If you aren't staying in Lucca then you have another reason to visit - this place really shouldn't be missed.

1 Thank Fran1222
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and i again had another great meal. We visited here 2 times this trip to lucca. it is definately a favorite. Pasquale knows his wines and always selects the perfect pairing. Alot of food is served so choose carefully and visit often. The first course was a house special for 2. This alone was 5 courses. Then we made the mistake of ordering pasta and then a meat course. Too much food. We suggest sharing. Worth going back more than one time.

2 Thank MaryOnTheSquare