WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Palazzo Alexander

Hotel Palazzo Alexander
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Lucca
bath
“Brilliant little gem in beautiful Lucca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in Lucca on night two of our three day tour of Italy. We got the train from Pisa which was very easy and cheap. There were three of us and we had a beautiful room on the top floor with views over the rooftops and mountains. The room was fabulous I did note that some rooms had a veranda which would have been lovely. We didn't have any noise from locals or other guests. Breakfast was really good with plenty of choice. Lucca is a fabulous town to visit and this hotel was my favourite. Don't think twice about staying

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor corner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bill_lotty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Love this hotel, it's staff and location.
The hotel. As other reviewers noted, it is close to everything but still a couple of blocks away so it is rather peaceful and quiet. The amenities are as you expect. The towel heat rack was great as the weather was cold. It cost around 6 euro to get to the hotel from the train station. Cost a little more to get back as the cab had to wait for us. The staff was great at arranging us he cab.

The breakfast was delicious and the staff vey very helpful and friendly. They definitely made the stay pleasurable. The only con I can think of is that the other reviewers were correct about the thin walls. While I easily knocked out, my husband could not go to sleep because the person upstairs was walking around at midnight and the sound of the walking around kept him awake. Again, I did not hear any of this and slept rather easily.

The hotel staff recommended a restaurant nearby. The food was fantastic and we got a discount.

Overall, we loved Lucca and this hotel and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Note. There is no swimming pool. I accidentally hit on the review and do not know to delete.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

After an exhilarating local bus journey from Pisa airport through the enchanting Tuscan countryside with the slanting sunlight shining through the autumn leaves we entered through the high walls , the city of Lucca. In no time at all our taxi took us out of one city gate and back in one further down and whooshed us up a narrow street or two to Hotel Palazzo Alexander. Whata charming hotel. Our rooms were on the second floor. Once I opened the windows, the sounds and smells of Italy invaded my senses. Our rooms appeared recently redecorated furniture wise but the atmosphere of traditional Italy was maintained. My ensuite felt like an old Roman bath with lashings of hot water, lots of fluffy towels and a wonderful heated towel drier . It appeared to be enameled with a rich "wood" finish. Breakfast was very much a continental style affair but the breakfast room was warm and welcoming. Our host was friendly, welcoming and very helpful when assisting us with directions to good restaurants. This is a really good value hotel, centrally placed with competitive prices in a very popular city. I will be back again.

Room Tip: If you do not want to be woken when the surrounding residents of Lucca roll up their shutters, maybe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here after reading reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The hotel is ideally located. Staff are friendly, rooms very clean witha very good style!I would stay here again .
Lucca is very nice... better than aHotel in Pisa close to the airport !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Palazzo Alexander is in a great location in Lucca- close to the shops, church, restaurants ... It is a beautiful, quaint family owned hotel . The hotel staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. One of them actually helped us park our car in the parking lot! The breakfast was very good and included in our price. There also was WiFi service and a laptop available for customer use. The rooms were a decent size, but ask for the corner room. It's about twice the size for the same price. My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay in this charming hotel in beautiful Lucca.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very big and include a sitting area and a large bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The moral of this story is “Nice hotel but if you have a car, then DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL unless you want a nasty surprise on your credit card!”
In June 2011 my wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights at 150Euro per night and we parked our Hire car in the hotels car park, which is within the “Zona Traffico Limitato” (ZTL). We paid the hotel’s additional 14.00 Euro per day fee to park there. The hotel recorded the car registration number to pass to local police to ensure that you are allowed to enter the ZTL without receiving any penalty fines.
3 months after we returned home I received 5 separate letters from Hertz regarding 5 separate police penalty notices for driving into the ZTL. Hertz charged my credit card with 5 separate “admin fees” of Euro 36.00 each, for providing my address details to the local police. The fees related to each separate day we entered the ZTL to park in the hotel car park!
I contacted the hotel and they admitted they had incorrectly recorded the car registration number. Because the correct registration number was not on the police’s list of vehicles allowed into the ZTL, the police had duly contacted Hertz to obtain my address details to enable them to issue 5 penalty notices to me.
The hotel was apologetic and assured me they would sort this all out and I provided copies of various documents for the hotel to pass to the police. The police have taken no further action.
But I am still out of pocket in the sum of £161.20 (Euro 180.00) due to hotel’s error. The T & C’s for Hertz are quite clear about an admin charge if they have to provide information to the police and I understand that. However this all came about because of the Hotel’s error.
I have asked a number of times for them to sort this out and always get a polite reply, but no money. My patience has been exhausted after 18 months, therefore this poor review.
So the moral of this story is “Nice hotel but if you have a car, then DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL unless you want a nasty surprise on your credit card!”

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Robert M
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

After deciding last minute to stay a night in Lucca, we found Hotel Palazzo Alexander in Frommer's and thought we'd give it a try. The family run hotel was warm and welcoming. The father and son team were extremely helpful and made our single night stay memorable. The antique furnished rooms were lovely and comfortable. We loved Lucca and wished we had stayed longer in the city and at Hotel Palazzo Alexander. What a unique find!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends