“Great value, friendly staff, very clean and location is great and quiet”

Albergo San Martino
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Lucca
Avignon
“Great value, friendly staff, very clean and location is great and quiet”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Parking is extra, wifi works, very recomended. Clean, easy to sleep as its a quiet street and rooms are good size with mini fridge but not very cold.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Just come back from a weeks stay at this hotel and it was a great place to stay. I have stayed at this hotel before and it was just as good as last year. This time we were on the first floor and I believe the rooms are slightly bigger on the second floor. However, there was more than enough space to hang clothes up and tidy away all your other bits and bobs. The bathroom was small but perfectly formed - there was a little alcove in the shower to house shower gel and whatnot. There was tv in the room but only one channel.... BBC Worldservice does get a little repetative, but iPod and speakers soon sorted that one out. The bed is two singles put together, but I think there is a matress protector over the top so the join in the middle was much softer than others I have stayed in. The matress is very firm, but again the protector made it soft to sleep on. We were lucky we had the triple room and had access to two extra pillows. You only get one pillow per person, but if you don't have access to extra pillows, there are two blankets that do just as nicely. There is a system for the towels (which is mentioned in the bathroom) that if you hang up your towels they will not be changed. Personally I think this is a great idea, why do you need your towel changed every day! But I have read other reviews that were suprised at this. So I wanted to mention it :)

It is only 10 minutes *with case* from the station to the hotel, some of the pavements are small but they are also short. You are also very close to the best gelatia (see number 4 for Lucca places to eat).

The breakfasts were great, a nice mix of pastries, fruit, meats, breads etc. You can ask for coffee or drink what is provided (if you have time ask for a hand made coffee).

This is a three star hotel, but is it much nicer than other three star places. There is no lift - but it is a old building and would be impossible to put one in. But the staff will always help take cases up stairs. Free stuff in the bathroom - no there isn't much but this is more B&B than hotel. There is a bar by main reception, but does close when staff leave. But you can come and go as you please, like a hotel. There are loads of places to drink in the town and the mini bar in the room is nicely stocked too.

Albergo San Martino is surrounded by other high walled buildings so sound does travel, Lucca is also a busy town where people live and work, it will get noisy in the morning. But the dawn chorus is much MUCH louder.

There is so much to see in Lucca and this hotel/B&B is the best place to stay - just out of the way but never far away from anything. Minutes away from the station, walls and Piazza Napolean. I personally recommend this place to stay if you want a sound base with a lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nemi47
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

WE stayed one night last week. Lovely hotel in a quiet location quite close to the cathedral. Room and breakfast were good. The staff were very helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant. Would definitely stay gain.

Rodg

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Picked this hotel after having stayed at 2 others over the years. The room we chose was lovely. There was a modern bathroom (but... not enough places to put your things - we told the front desk & owner about this during our stay). The front desk was very helpful, the breakfast even had homemade treats. I had an issue because they were displaying some perfume/scents at a table right outside our room & since I have sinus problems... it really bothered me. No problem, they immediately moved the items to another part of the hotel. Everything was 1st rate & we will definitely stay there again. The hotel would seriously be one reason to come back to Lucca!

Room Tip: When you contact the hotel, just ask them. They are 100% helpful. Pictures on website are accurate
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, USA
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We loved the inn for our first night in Italy. The bathroom, with its Kohler-type shower options, jacuzzi and colored lights, was fantastic. Reception was friendly and helpful as we adjusted to jet lag and Italian.

Good suggestions for activities, including the Puccini concert nearby. Lucca is a lovely, small town. Breakfast was Italian--coffee and carbs. When in Italy, do as the .......

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
england
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I try to review hotels as objectively as possible,accepting that one mans meat is anothers poison,and so try not to become side-tracked by any unusual good or bad experiences taking the view that to be helpful to fellow travellers it`s important to try to give an impresion of what they can expect ,not what might occur once in a blue moon.I booked this hotel on the strength of others reviews,as i often do and I`m rarely disappointed.This time I was.

I can`t really recognise the hotel from some earlier reviews .Even allowing for the fact everywhere in Tuscany is ludicrously over-priced and often over-hyped,and that Lucca itself is a small ,not especially interesting provincial town that can be explored in half a day,I still can`t see why this particular hotel gets such good ratings.What follows is my personal feelings about it.I hope it helps you decide and it may be the things I disliked aren`t important to you or are positively a plus.If so I wish you well and I`m happy to have helped.

Although classed as an hotel this establishment is really closer to a B&B guest house.Nothing wrong with that in itself,I sometimes stay at B&B`s,but equally you need to know that what you`re booking isn`t perhaps what you`d expect in the way of a "normal" 3 star hotel at a price of about £115 per night for a double room.

The hotel is about a 10-15 min walk from the rail station,inside the walls of the city.It`s located in an alleyway and looks quite pretty outside.The small reception area is bright and clean.Check-in and check-out were efficient,perhaps to be expected in such a small hotel.Just off reception,essentially part of it really ,is a small area of a lounge with a couple of sofas and a chair.This area also doubles for the use of a laptop for the free internet .It`s also the "bar" ,which is more properly described as a drinks cabinet.Since usually there`s only one member of staff on duty the receptionist is also the barperson ,though because the area is so small and only a few steps from where the receptionist sits,it`s not really a bar where I imagine many people sit and relax.It`s not very cosy or inviting.I saw no-one use it during my 2 night stay.

There`s no lift.The quite narrow staircase with it`s turns was fine for me because we were travelling light.For someone with a big suitcase,or not agile or strong, it would be more of a problem.Since there`s no porter don`t expect help,especially since at least one of the receptionists who could be on duty when you arrive, doesn`t look too sprightly herself.

Our room was small.I appreciate the rooms vary but I don`t know how typical ours was or whether we just had the worst one in the hotel,if so maybe a choice should be offered.The furnishings were poor,second hand tables and wardrobe(and I don`t mean antique-just rather cheap second hand bits and pieces).The bed was hard for our taste.There was a mini-bar with limited stock,for example one bottle of beer,one bottle of coke,no spirits at all-you get the picture.There was a room safe located in the wardrobe but the instructions were on top of the safe and the lighting in the room too poor to actually read them since you virtually had to get in the wardrobe to read them by which point you`d blocked out any light.

The walls are thin.Other guests using the bathrom or sneezing or coughing or snoring are easily audible.I wouldn`t have wanted to have been here on my honeymoon for fear of disturbing other guests,if you follow my drift.

The small TV didn`t work.I mentionned it to a receptionist who said they`d been a problem with the aerial but offered to try to fix it but also explained there were no English language channels anyway.

I don`t know if the AC worked because it wasn`t warm enough to need it at this time of the year.However the unit is a very basic fan type so could be noisy.We did have the windows open a little at night to have fresh air.Unfortunately there are no nets at the windows so this allowed mosquitoes to enter.It also was noisy at times as the alley is used by people coming back in the early hours from the town`s bars and restaurants.

Our bathroom was nothing like the one described by one reviewer.It was an adequate size but there was no bath(even less a hot tub) nor a walk -in shower.There was a normal,rather small,shower.I`m not big but anyone of 6 feet for example would feel cramped.The bathroom had been recenly painted in bright,some might say garish colours,and the shower tray ,painted orange with yellow water stains,matched the orange and yellow vinyl floor.The tiles had been painted beige.The shower worked fine but the runners for the doors looked a little grimey with mildew.The bathroom and the room itself however were clean enough.The towels provided were fine.The toiletries consisted of a small tube of shower gel,one tube between us for each night and not replenished each day.I expect we could have asked for more but the female receptionist we asked for extra pillows so lacked charm,and made us feel she was doing us such a huge favour,that we really couldn`t be bothered.Why that particular receptionist found it so hard to smile,and why she always seemed so busy on her computer or telephone was a constant mystery in an hotel with maybe half a dozen rooms occupied.In fact,again despite comments by other reviewers about the hospitality of the staff,we didn`t find this.Generally none of the staff,apart from one receptionist(the receptionists work in shifts so they changed throughout the day) seemed to know what a smile was.

Breakfast is taken in a very small dining area.It`s buffet style.It`s adequate provivded you`re happy with carbs,because there were nice pastries as well as bread and cereal and some fruit.There was a small amount of processed meats and cheese.There was no hot food option.No eggs,cold or otherwise.Fresh orange juice would have been nice,not the watery variety supplied.The crockery was chipped.The dining area was very intimate,to put it kindly,which meant you are rather forced into converstion with fellow guests for fear of otherwise seeming rude.Personally I don`t much care for small talk with strangers when i`ve just woken but I realise some people love it(I try to avoid those people,but here you can`t).

The reception is manned between about 7am until 11pm at which point the front door is locked.You do have a key to let yourself in if you get back after this.However it means there is no member of staff on duty after 11pm,not even to serve a drink at the "bar " that is advertised as being open until midnight.If an emergency arises in the night there`s a telephone number on a card at reception so hopefully any poor soul who needs help will be able to get downstairs and make a call.What would happen in a fire is worrying .There are no fire doors and with no staff,if a fire started in the kitchen next to reception the only exit would soon be blocked.The drop from the windows of first floor rooms is probably survivable exept for the young and old,from the second floor pretty unlikely.

As you can imagine I personally wouldn`t stay here again nor recommend it.I appreciate I seem to be in a minority from the reviews of others--except of course that of the hundreds of folks who no doubt have stayed here in the last 6 months there aren`t that many who`ve bothered to write about their favourable view of it.

One tip,not about the hotel as such is that the best way to get to Pisa airport from Lucca is from the small bus station in town.3 Euros and a 45 min service that runs frequently and one of the stops is about 200 yards from the leaning tower so you can get off,have a look and get on the next bus for the airport.It`s a pleasant route as well and much better than the train to the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dongola
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Albergo San Martino is tucked in a quiet corner of Lucca. It's super clean with a GREAT breakfast. The staff was very accommodating to my family and made us feel very welcome. And the price was right. I'd stay again in a heartbeat ... Lucca is a dream, by the way.

Only downside was the hotel's atrocious wifi. You need passports to get codes to get on their network for EACH device you have (my family had 6), and it automatically kicked us off every 5 minutes or so. Wifi is critical for us, and I assume for most travelers, to allow us to cheaply access our emails, maps, notes, etc. We had to use "roaming" here, which ain't cheap.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family