“Lovely venue, great location BUT be careful which room they put you in!”

Albergo San Martino
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Lucca
Halifax, Canada
“Lovely venue, great location BUT be careful which room they put you in!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is a charming hotel perfectly situated to explore Lucca. The staff are very pleasant and the continental breakfast is excellent. I wish I had been more switched on when we arrived because then I would have remembered the lovely rooms I looked at on the hotel web site- I didn't! So up we went 4 flights of stairs with our suitcases, even the young lady who helped us was exhausted when she reached the top, into what I would describe as a box room. It was called the "Carlacci" room. The bed was rock hard and the room barely soundproof. The next day our friends arrived and stayed in the "Tres Scallini" which was gorgeous- beautifully decorated, spacious with a fantastic bathroom with all the bells & whistles _ I was jealous!! The rooms cost the same amount!
Anyway we should have complained and requested a nicer room with a comfortable bed but we were busy exploring and eating! I think though in fairness it should be made clearer that there are significant differences in the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank katefin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

This small and friendly Hotel begins with being in the perfect quiet location within a beautiful City surrounded by a 17th Century wall which alone would be enough but they can also boast; comfortable rooms with all facilities, a more than adequate breakfast to suit any taste, friendly and helpful staff, sensational value for money and much to do and see and not only within the walls of the City but within a short train journey from the nearby station.
We cannot recommend a stay at this hotel highly enough having enjoyed a wonderful few days just winding down.

Room Tip: Go with the flow
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

I'd been looking so forward to visiting Lucca. Prior to arriving via car, I had the concierge at my hotel in Florence call to confirm specific directions for getting to the hotel. We had a bit of trouble as the street is marked pedestrian only, so my husband parked at a bus stop and I walked to the inn for assistance. Andreas, the innkeeper, was quite gruff. In fact, if I hadn't been so excited to see Lucca, I would have walked back to the car and left. Later I figured out I caught him as he was wanting to go for his lunch, which likely accounted for his unfriendliness.
Positives:
The wall around the city is very enjoyable to walk on.
The inn is in a quiet location with minimal outside noise.
The innkeeper also owns a restaurant that was pretty good.
The innkeeper assisted us in fixing the rental car's GPS.
CNN on television
Negatives:
The beds are horrible....hard. The pillows, only one each, were very thin. Did not get a good sleep either night.
The free wifi is at best sporatic. Kept getting booted off.
We stayed in two rooms with one bath on the floor above reception. The shower stall looked like something out of a doll house. Towels were thin and scratchy.
Kleenex and toilet paper was not replenished.
Breakfast is odd hours-starting at 8. We really wanted to head out before 7 both mornings, but our car was in the hotel secure lot under lock and key and after his initial unfriendliness to us, we didn't want to ask the innkeeper to allow our car out early or to allow us an early breakfast. The first morning we came down at 8, and he didn't come down until about 8:30. Kind of ruined our morning.
All in all, I wouldn't return nor would I recommend it to others. Lucca can easily be enjoyed in an afternoon from Florence.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Solana Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stayed at the Albergo San Martino and absolutely loved it. The hotel has very modern amenities including a luxurious jacuzzi tub and amazing shower and the rooms are really nice. You feel like you are staying in an up-to-date luxurious hotel that fits in perfectly with the older town. The hotel is very welcoming from the comfortable sitting area in the lobby filled with picture books and a cool bar to the very friendly proprietor, Andrea. Make sure you check out the trendy toilet paper holders in the lobby bathroom and the breakfast served in the morning. The beds are very comfortable and the hotel is very quiet and I love the old stone steps leading up to the room. The mood lighting in the hotel rooms is also a plus. The hotel is spotless clean and I highly recommend staying there. The hotel is located within the walls of Lucca and walking distance to many great restaurants, bakeries, shops and sights. While in Lucca make sure you walk the entire wall around the city and eat at a restaurant called, Osteria dal Manzo.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

My 23 year old daughter and I made a last minute decision to visit Lucca and found this hotel on Tripadvisor. We were warmly greeted by the night manager who patiently answered all 5 of my phone calls trying to find the hotel at night. Once we got there, it seemed pretty simple but the rain and dark made it a bit confusing. It was worth it though, the room was great, the bathroom was large and had a wonderful balcony, the breakfast was ample and had some fresh baked hotel specials as well as made to order cappuccino... all delicious. The location was fantastic, a short walk to everything inside the walled city, which is beautiful. The hotel is spotlessly clean. Everyone who worked at the hotel was so friendly, warm, and helpful. The owner was gracious and friendly and made us the delicious coffee to start our day. We would definitely stay there again and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelover1214
mellieha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Very welcoming and helpful hotel . Electrics in room takes a little working out .Spa bath and multi shower setting with dimming different coloured lighting in bathroom.Breakfast disappointing -the worse we experienced in Tuscany - poor mass produced coffee and 'flask' hot water.A bit noisey down the side road from 6 am onwards , but room is up to a 5 star standard and the Romanian front office girl is first class.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shaunieMellieha
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

We were in Italy for 3.5 weeks, and I booked this hotel for the one night we were to be in Lucca. Of all the hotels we stayed in, it was probably my favorite.

In the first place, the hotel is located a short walk from the center of the historic center and the duomo, shops, and restaurants. They also offer private parking ($10 per night), which was great. The room, while small, was comfortable. It had a television and desk. The bed was comfortable (although a little hard). And, most importantly, everything in the place was spotlessly clean.

One of the most important things to me, though, is how the service is. We found everyone there to be absolutely wonderful and willing to help. We arrived before check-in, but the gal at the front desk helped us get to the hidden parking spot, store our luggage, and find a place to get something to eat. The guy on the desk in the afternoon made dinner reservations for us, told us about the festival of lights being held that night, and gave us directions to a number of different places.

Breakfast was adequate although we found the hours to be a little late in the morning. That was okay, though. It just delayed our leaving for our next destination.

They have free wifi and internet for those of us who need to keep in touch even on vacation.

Just as a note about Lucca: It is not Siena, but I would definitely go back there again. It is a charming place, and I can see why people love it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple