“Lovely little restaurant”

Enoteca Calasto
Ranked #93 of 591 Restaurants in Lucca
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enoteca Calasto bar has been created with the mission of promoting only the best quality wines produced in the Lucca and Montecarlo area and also to provide a friendly and inviting spot where our customers can enjoy some of the Lucca Region best wines. The bar will carry over 150 labels, a unique opportunity for visitors to taste several local wines in one place, accompanied by a small plate of the best local food from Garfagnana.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Lovely little restaurant”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

The enoteca in Lucca is a very good place to have a bite to eat. The food is reasonably priced and the menu is divers, as well are the drinks. The waiter was adequately quick in taking orders and was able to take our order in English. Moreover on the menu it states the Enoteca personnel is able to help you out in Italian, English and Danish. We haven't seen any of the last language in practise, but I am sure someone there will speak it. The food itself is very good: medium plates for a good price, so you have an appetiser, primi e secondi without feeling stuffed. The only downside is that the interior (outside) isn't as tasteful as inside.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kevinschie

• Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Let down!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you are interested in wine, don´t go there. The wine makers of the region would be disappointed to see how their wines are represented in an uninspiring, too hot and too indifferent way. Sad for a very interesting and seemingly good initiative.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Carl J
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Wonderful Restaurant and Outdoor Seating”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We found this little gem right across the street (path) from the Pucci concert. We had an outdoor table taking in all the ambience of Lucca. I had the Caprese salad and a glass of wine and it is one of the best salads I have ever had. Service was excellent and a very pleasant waiter

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sandra M
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great little wine bar”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This wine bar is tucked away in a little piazza just near the duomo. They serve a great array of wines along with delicious little appetizers. A great place to sit and watch people go by as you rest your feet after a day of sightseeing in the lovely town of Lucca

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Michelle I
San Francisco, CA
“I thought we were on Kitchen Nightmares...”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We wandered into this little Enoteca based on the Tripadvisor reviews, expecting a fantastic lunch. Our experience was anything but. First, let's get the food review out of the way. The food was nothing special, just average. We're pretty sure the lasagna and pasta was microwaved based on taste, texture and my direct line of site to the kitchen. Really, there are so many better places for food, I can't imagine ever coming back to this place even if the other more distressing problems didn't exist. Also, the wine pairings are not a good value, you receive the sam quantity of wine in one full glass but pay 3X the cost.

Here's the real problem: the manager. Out of fairness, I don't know if she was a temporary worker or just having a really bad day. But, my read on the situation was that she was likely the owner, based on her demeanor and how she treated the employees. If we were sitting outside, we may not have been exposed to her behavior as directly as we were and may have had a much better experience. The environment was stressful. She was Chicken Little and the sky was definitely falling. In an effort to try to help break the tension, I went in with a compliment: Wow, this balsamic vinegar is really good! Her response, "oh, that's interesting, didn't you like the olive oil?" Oh well.

As she stormed back and forth across the restaurant complaining about her staff, the customers and the local that she blamed for breaking her toilet I thought, "are we the only table that thinks that this is really uncomfortable?" Then I looked around and felt better when I saw that all the other tables were making knowing eye contact with each other. It was as if we were being filmed on Kitchen Nightmares and Gordon Ramsey was about to pop out and ask us about our experience. While the lunch was awful, it was at least an entertaining experience that gave us a good story to laugh about on the train back to Florence.

This little place could be fantastic. Great location, very cute interior design and a lovely patio. Such a shame that it is being wasted.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank BrentLooney
Lars45, Owner at Enoteca Calasto, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear valued customer,

Any feedback provided by our customer is of utmost importance to us, we do strive in achieving a high standard of customer service. As feedback from most of our customers normally is very positive as evidenced on tripadvisor and the fact that we just have been awarded a service excellence award for 2013. My wife and I (owners) apologize for what was a very unacceptable service on the day in question. There is no excuse however we take this as it was intended and will certainly learn from this incidence. I hope that we will be given the opportunity to prove to you that this was a once off mistake, and that we can be all the good things you mention about the location, ambiance of Enoteca Calasto.

Kind regards