“Great stay at this little hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Luna

Hotel La Luna
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Lucca
Utrecht
“Great stay at this little hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the new building overlooking the courtyard in front and with the windows open we felt really immersed in the buzzing city life of wonderful Luca! The room was spacious and clean and very quiet with the room closed for a good night sleep. Location is perfect and the parking garage in the hotel is a big plus. Getting there through the narrow streets is a bit of a challenge on a busy day however fortunately the staff helped us getting through the crowd when we left. Service was great and they nicely keep our belongings that we left in the safe until we were able to pick it up again. Breakfast was nothing special but ok and wifi didn't seem to reach the new building but worked fine in the lobby. Overall a great experience and would definitely stay here again the next time we visit Luca.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Zu1d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in La Luna - until we saw what was done to our car...

+ Perfectly placed in the middle of the old town's heart. LOVELY!
+ Relatively big rooms if you take into account that it's in the middle of the old town
+ Big restrooms
+ Everything is very clean
+ Really nice staff
+ You really get a lot for what you're paying for.

- The hotel's garage is REALLY small. In Switzerland, we would put 2 or 3 car at the max in there, but they managed to put in 5 cars! As we had to hand over the keys so they could move all the cars, we didn't have anything to do with the parking situation. A big plus, I thought. I didn't imagine yet what would happen to my car without even telling me anything....
I suspect (= I can't prove) the hotel's driver to have damaged my brand new car. As I took a look at my undamaged car BEFORE I handed over the keys, the damage on my car's front must have been done during our stay - and we didn't use our car during that time. Nobody came and told us anything about a damage. After we left the hotel, at the next gas station, I saw that there were 8 BIG hicks in my front bumper bar with a small piece of it even missing...
Back in Switzerland, my car is now being repaired. The costs for the damage on the front bumper bar are estimated 700 Euros. As my insurance participation is 850 Euros, I have to pay the whole amount by myself. Thanks, La Luna!

My suggestions: Use an other parking lot / Garage, not the one situation in the hotel. And don't hand over your keys to anyone. It was the last time I trusted in hotels' car drivers.

If you don't leave the car at the hotel, La Luna is just perfect.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel's garage (the one IN the hotel)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank defical
, Owner at Hotel La Luna, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Sir,
we are very disappointed regarding your last review about our hotel, because we have not received any segnalation from you at your departure. As you mentioned before in your feedback you are not sure that our Staff have damaged your car during your stay with us and just to let you know the garage in the historical centre INSIDE the hotel is a big value for all our guests.
In any case I thank you for your valutation regarding our hotel facilities and services, we really appreciate it. On the other hand, we think the PRIVATE GARAGE INSIDE OUR HOTEL is a powerful point not a problem, this is an extra service but is NOT a mandatory. You could choose also to park the car outside the town in a payment public area.
At the last, I suggest you for the future to inform the Reception regarding any problem before to leave the hotel, because in this case for example we could contact our assurance, before your departing from the hotel.
We are a hotelier family from 1960 and we have the same garage during all these years and all our Staff know well our spaces (available for 5 cars). For the remaining cars, we have alternative solutions near by, where you can park yourself without to leave us the key!
We hope to welcome you in our hotel in the future, best regards.

Hotel la Luna
Director Manger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We came by car, it took us a while to get close to the hotel so that I could park the car and check in and ask what to do with my car. A very helpful lady at the desk provided me with the needed directions how to go out of the city, to come back in and drop our luggage at the hotel. To do so we had to drive through the most busy street of Lucca on a saturday, which was quite the challenge! The room was tidy, and up to standard, wifi worked fine. In the morning it was very noisy, when the neighbours were showering or flushing the toilet, it was like they were in your bathroom (room 103) in the adjacent building.
Breakfast was just average, nothing warm to eat. Overall: staff terrific, position in heart of Lucca perfect, accomodation ok. All&all a very good experience!!

Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wonderful location- Right off the main shopping pedestrain street in the center of the walled city and near the arena. 5 minute walk to get to the wall. 15-20 minutes walk to train station. Room was comfortable, breakfast buffet solid. Staff nice and helpful.

I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank David V
St. Malo, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Even though it is not totally easy to get to the hotel, I would want to stay there again any time. The bus dropped us off at the nearest city gate, and we then had to pull our luggage ca. 15 minutes. But I prefer this in order to have a hotel in the heart of the city. La Luna is very close to the ancient Roman amphitheatre, and it is totally easy to explore the city from the hotel. Staff was very friendly and competent in English. Our room was just a delight, with heavy wooden beams. Everything just fine in the room, even wifi worked well. Breakfast good according to Italian standards (but no eggs, or warm food). Flat tv in the room, even a fridge. Quiet room, furniture is nice, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. We could sleep very well. Again, I would want to stay there again the next time.

Room Tip: There is the main hotel and a separate building. We stayed in the main building and were very happy...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Lucca is a world class Medieval walled city, and entirely pedestrianized, so it is no surprise that access to the inner city is challenging. Getting into the Hotel La Luna is difficult, to say the least, but the location, once you have succeeded in getting there, is unbeatable. We came as a small group tour in a large van. Our driver/guide had to drop us off some distance away, and call the hotel to arrange for a permit to enter the inner city within the walls, then drive a considerable distance to a parking lot. On our departure it was raining, but luckily the traffic on Saturday morning was light, and our driver was able (with white knuckles) to get the van into the close approaching the hotel. Finding the way out, squeezing through the narrow Medieval streets past bicycles, pedestrians and cars, proved to be a real test, as there did not seem to be any signage directing you to the exit from the inner city. The hotel is lovely, though the rooms are tiny (so tiny there was no floor space for a suitcase). Although the rooms have modern electronic card keys, these do not open the door to the annex where our rooms were, so you have to ask the front desk to buzz you in. The woodwork, furniture and doors, are exquisite, and everything is updated and modern. The window to an air shaft was shuttered, making it quiet, but dark, almost like an inside room in a cruise ship. The bathroom was tiny but sparkling and functional. The mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable. The breakfast room was small and crowded, and the food average.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Heikermeister
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We arrived drenched and in a downpour in November 2013. We were warmly greeted, provided with garage parking and offered umbrellas and hot drinks. The staff couldn't have been nicer. They even came out in the rain, crossed over to our building and assisted us with the tv and heat. They also made an excellent dinner recommendation and the following morning cheerfully provided a bountiful and healthy breakfast along with fantastic coffee choices. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends