“Enjoyed Every Minute, Every Bite”
Review of L'Oste di Lucca

L'Oste di Lucca
Ranked #484 of 602 Restaurants in Lucca
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Long Beach, California
“Enjoyed Every Minute, Every Bite”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service was prompt, attentive, and friendly. The menu offered a wide selection, and the house wine was great. We especially enjoyed the traditional tray of biscotti and Vin Santo brought to us after dinner! This was a pleasant discovery, since it was right across the courtyard from our hotel!

Visited July 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastico!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We spent a week in Lucca and this was the best and our favourite restaurant . Antipasti to start, bottle of house rosso, set up the evening very well. A nice wide menu, friendly prompt service. Definately one to go back to.

Don't understand the mentality of a large group expecting individual billing. Wouldn't ask for that at home, certainly not in a foreign country.

Visited October 2013
Phoenix
“Pappardelle con Cinghiale!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is the BEST item on the menu! With the antipasti plate of the house and this as the main course, you won't go away hungry! And, the service is superb! Good selection of wines. Chiara is a wonderful person! We love to visit this restaurant every time we are in Lucca!

• Visited October 2013
Boston
“Best Steak Florentine and Homemade Pasta”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Sometimes you have to wonder about the expectations of travelers...one group seeking 11 seperate checks?.....and sort of perturbed that the Italians don't speak English? Really? Aren't we visiting THEIR country?

In any case, my wife and I were in Lucca for two nights (a big mistake because we could have spent two weeks there and loved it) and ate at L'Oste di Lucca on the first night, enjoyed it and the staff so much, we came back on our second night to try something else.

Setting - outdoor cafe (they do have indoor seating) where you can people watch. I noticed how many neighborhood people were seated at the restaurant. The owner (or maybe the manager) was jabbering away with people he knew and who clearly liked him. I'm talking about 5 or 6 big tables were taken up with people who lived in Lucca, who the whole staff knew. That says something about the food your going to get there.

First night - Florentine steak. Chiara, the waitress, asked me if I like it rare or medium rare. I asked for medium rare and they served in a sizzling hot plate with the t-bone and already sliced and rare. The waitress, Chiara, told me to take the meat off when I thought it was done to my taste (or words to that effect).

Fantastic!! Meat was exceptionally tender and had an interactive dining experience. *Hint: Cover yourself with a napkin as the steak is really sizzling and splatters a bit.

My wife had ricotta-stiuffed cannelloni (homemade) that I tasted: melt-on-your-tongue tender. Getting hungry thinking about it.

We had an Aperol Spritz which was 7 Euro which translates to $9.45, the normal price at a good restaurant, for a drink and it was not a small drink but a wine glass full. Make no mistake. this was a good restaurant. I went for a shot of white grappa and then the house vino rossi, always a good bet in all of Tuscany.

The next night we came back. Chiara gave us both a big hug and brought over some compoimentary grappa and another Spritz for my wife. She thanked us profusely for coming back for another night. That night I had a wide noodle (maybe Pappardelle) with some clams and my wife had the Lasagne. Again, the pasta was superb.

So, not sure what the negativity is all about because we loved this place and the stafft enough to write about it. I'm not surprised that neigborhood people come so often to this place. I sure would if I lived there. Thanks, Chiara and hope your day-off in Milano was all you anticipated.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mitchly
Spokane, WA
“Large Groups Beware”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Actually had a decent pizza there, but the bill paying was a nightmare and a rip-off. The restaurant refused to separate the bill for a party of 11. (They have a sign inside which states they don't separate checks, but since they seated us outside, we never saw it. I did try to ask for separate checks upon ordering, but the request was ignored.) The restaurant staff person calculated the bill and divided it by 9 and not the11 people that were actually in our party. After the meal, we thought we were each going up to the cashier to let them know what we ate and then pay for our portion of the bill; Instead they took the bill and ended up dividing it by 9 and demanded that we pay the price that they calculated. And as actually 11, not 9 people, went up to the cash register to pay the bill that the restaurant person calculated per person, they made money on us. Had the restaurant staff person kept the money on the desk and not put it in the cash register after every person paid, she could have seen that she collected more than the bill. The person at the cashier threatened to call the police when I questioned the bill and stated that I wanted to pay for what I ordered. After a long argument, I was so disgusted that I just gave her the money. No one there speaks English and as no one in our group speaks Italian, it was a hopeless situation. We have eaten at other restaurants in Lucca who happily and competently divided the check for us. So with so many eateries in Lucca, I would stay away from this rip-off of a restaurant. Anyone who is a tourist and in a large group, beware and walk away. Give your business to one of the other establishments in the area which is honest and accommodating.

• Visited September 2013