“Lots of Italian character!”

B&B L'Antica Bifore
Ranked #5 of 177 Lucca B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Charming B&B with refined Italian character, not just plain vanilla but individually decorated rooms. Frescoes and art work adorn the walls, and some of the walls and ceilings were of original red brick from centuries ago.
The lively owners, Brid and Stefano, were just as charming and helpful in their support and advice in choosing fabulous places to eat. I had booked all 4 rooms for my Italy Retreat group of women, and they all loved their experience here. Centrally located in Lucca, so it is very easy to get around on foot, or by bike.
Breakfast is basic. Tea available all day. Highly recommend and I will be returning.

Room Tip: Three rooms on the main street and one in the back of the building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LenoraBoyle

Reviewed July 20, 2013

One of our few regrets after three weeks in Tuscany was rushing through Lucca. Our one-night visit was sandwiched in-between stays in Florence and the Cinque Terre. Had we known how charming Lucca is - perfectly encapsulated by the exquisite B&B L'Antica Bifore - we would have planned a longer sojourn. L'Antica Bifore is a four bedroom boutique B&B in a restored medieval home in the center of the old walled city. Not only are the rooms gorgeous, the hosts - Brid and Stefano - are friendly and well informed. They provided great advice, from getting to the leaning tower by train, to finding gluten free food in Lucca (a challenge for travelers with celiac). We recommend them with enthusiasm.
As in Florence and other medieval city centers, historic buildings in Lucca - including L'Antica Bifore - do not have elevators, which means getting used to carrying luggage on stone stairways. Packing light is essential. The ubiquity of staircases does not mean older travelers should avoid the most charming accommodations (we're in our 60s), but those who are concerned about access should contact Brid & Stefano for guidance. If at all possible, you'll want to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HappyFeet-Italy
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Brid and Stefano are the best hosts, could not have been more helpful.
The B&B is lovely, boutique decor, stunning central dining room.
The location is excellent, even a little pizza place next door.
Brid and Stefano will recommend good places to eat, we loved Osteria Via San Georgio.
If you are in Lucca, stay at L'Antica Bifore !!

Room Tip: There is one very quiet bedroom at the back, but street noise was not really a problem at front.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our family traveled to Lucca and stayed at this wonderful B&B for 2 nights. We were the only ones in the B&B and had 2 out of the 4 rooms. The B&B is beautifully restored and very comfortable and Stefano and Brid are wonderful hosts! The city is spectacular and there is quite a few things to see and do. A few small items that we noted that you should know:
1. Via Fillungo is the MAIN shopping pedestrian street in town. If you are coming in by car to check in, be prepared for thousands of people in the street that you will need to navigate through to get to your destination. It was quite the experience!
2. The bedrooms face the street (3 out of 4) and can be noisy if you want to get to sleep before the Italians usually do. The street usually quieted down after 11:45 PM but note that July has the festivals and the streets are filled for longer into the nights.
3. The wi-fi worked really well in the main, general room but was weaker in the bedroom.
4. The rooms and the B&B overall is spotless! The accommodations are really quite nice.
5. The hosts always had spring water in the fridge and a coffee machine for an afternoon "fix". Nice touch!

Thank you Stefano and Brid! We LOVED meeting you and spending time in your wonderful B&B and your city. We hope to return again!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have the room that faces the internal courtyard - it's quieter at night.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RenataSB40
Reviewed July 8, 2013

In preparation for my trip to Lucca - to study Italian and absorb my ancestral culture, I researched many different lodging arrangements. Since I was traveling solo, I wanted to stay in a B&B - always a chance to meet other travelers as well as develop a relationship with the proprietors, an opportunity to practice my Italian. I am very pleased with my selection - L'Antica Bifore, as I had the experience that I was seeking.....great lodging, great location, great owners and great guests.

The B&B has 4 rooms - all restored in the last seven years or so since the owners bought the guest house. The website does a great and accurate job of describing the uniqueness, location and history of the B&B. Living there for 3 weeks was the best choice I could have made. The location is very central, it can be a little noisy from people walking along the famous Via Fillungo, but nothing that was bothersome or kept me awake - besides, I wanted the room because of the light, beautiful window and the view.

Brid and Stefano were gracious hosts and after 3-weeks, I felt like part of the family. I found myself welcoming guests into "my B&B" every time I had the opportunity to meet new folks as they checked in - or over breakfast. I also enjoyed my Italian "lessons" with Stefano, as he helped me often with correct Italian pronunciations and grammar. Over caffe macchiato, Brid and I shared stories of our families - hers in Ireland and mine in Pennsylvania. Overall - a wonderful choice - I highly recommend staying at L'Antica Bifore.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Paulettejim
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A fantastic, grand building located along the main street in Lucca town centre houses this wonderful B&B which consists of four individual rooms off a central communal/breakfast area. The architecture of the building and rooms is only bettered by it's location. Being as central as it is possible to be within Lucca meant you are only metres away from delightful squares, churches, restaurants and shops. It should be pointed out that this does not mean it is a noisy place to stay...far from it. We spent two nights there in June and did not have problems sleeping as we were usually last up for breakfast! Breakfast it's self is simple but adequate but it is then when you meet your hosts who were friendly and genuine. Brid & Stefano took a genuine interest in you and were happy to answer questions and talk you about the area if you wanted to know more. Their recommendation for dinner (Pasquale's Osteria) was also fantastic.
If you want somewhere to stay that is perfectly located, has loads of character, peaceful and run by a genuine, helpful couple than this is right for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank linky1980
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Don't be put off when you first walk inside, because the entry hall is under renovation. The hotel is located on the next level, and has a wonderful feel the moment you step inside. Our room (the Dante Room) was very comfortable and had a lot of character. Bri'd and Stefano were terrific hosts. We arrived a few hours later than planned, but they came downstairs to greet us. They hopped in the back seat of our car, and directed us to a nearby parking area, where we could leave the car overnight. They walked us back to the hotel, giving us tips on where to dine that evening, since we were only there for 1 night. In the morning, they prepared a nice continental breakfast, which we enjoyed at a communal dining room table. We met some nice people, and Bri'd and Stefano were engaged in conversation with everyone. Nice vibe, nice place, would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The Dante Room has a lovely view of the church
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple