“Local Gem in Livorno” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Barrocciaia

La Barrocciaia
Ranked #9 of 541 Restaurants in Livorno
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Todos Santos
“Local Gem in Livorno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

When my friend and I learned we were too late starting out on our originally planned excursion to the villages of Cinque Terre, we decided to spend the day in Livorno. Walking around we were happy to discover their open market, which was full of fun fashion and accessories besides all the wonderful fish, fruits, breads, olives, and other assorted foods. We asked a local cab driver for a restaurant recommendation for lunch, and set out to try to follow his directions to a busy plaza nearby. When we found this dark, little place, I was immediately aware that tourists probably never walk in here. It was fantastic, and turned out to be a wonderful highlight of our trip. We were immediately led up a few steps at the back of the restaurant, past counters full of tasty looking food to go....and scattered tables buzzing with locals, to a charming wood paneled dining room. Tables were scarce and every inch was taken, jamming them together, and we loved it. It also made for easy conversation with whoever was sitting next to you, and these are the unexpected experiences that enrich your time. Our waitress was very helpful, even though she spoke no English. There were lots of fish dishes to choose from...this being a fishing town, as well as other traditional dishes of the area, and plenty of pasta pasta, pasta. We had their table wine, too, and I will never forget this little place, if only I could find it again someday, if I ever return. I'm sure, though, that all one has to do is ask a cab driver.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank MilkmaidTS

Livorno, Italy
“real lighourne food and people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

if you want to see and taste the real lighourne, its traditions and the people's way of life you have to get here and eat something. A sandwich, big and full of what you or the guy doing it prefere: ham, sausages, vegetables, sauce...
Otherwise you can eat something at the osteria, seat down at a table where other people can be, drink some wine and wait speaking with people around you of what had happened during the day. Firendly waiters, friendly customers and also friendly passers-by.... everyone is friendly there!
Good food, real, made with all the love and passion that city is able to use.
Miss it only if you don't want to talk to people or are afraid of having people you don't know right next to you.

• Visited March 2012
“The best pasta!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

There are no menus, you may end up sitting with other people, it is always busy and entertaining - this place is a real find! Eaten there about 5 times in the last year and the food is always authentic and of a good quality. Excellent value, never over €30 for at least 2 courses for 2; with wine and ALWAYS a punch (pronounced ponch) to finish. This is an alcoholic coffee local to Livorno. Can't wait to go back.

Pietrasanta, Italy
“Spirit of the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My friend, Paola, moved to Livorno and I went to visit her from Pietrasanta, where I live. This small restaurant is the real deal. The tagliatelli a la scampi was the best I've ever had...and I've lived in Italy for 10 years. The counter up fron can make sandwiches...or you can go from your table and get a sampling of cortorni...or vegetables cooked in many ways...or you can have a mixture of salamis and cheeses. The room in the back is lovely with art work fro local artists. There are a multitude of pastas each day and two main specials. Our meal for two with a bottle of wine came to €35: two pastas, grilled vegetables, sausage and cheese, two fabulous desserts...with flames! and the local specialty..puncha..expresso with rum and lemon...UH-huh! I was in a coma. And, they wouldn't let us leave without a taste of their homemade strawberry liquor. Tables are shared when crowded. Great food and a lovely experience. If you get off a ship...go here...you'll have quite a story to tell! Nice service..not great with English but you'll get by.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank CHERIEParisFrance
Eemnes, The Netherlands
“Livorno Locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

By coincidence I ate by this restaurant on my holiday with my family and friends. We were looking for a neat restaurant but couldn’t find it. When we past this restaurant and saw all the locals eating their sandwiches and steaks with a bottle of wine on the table we thought this also might be a good idea. The food was oke, nothing special but seeing all the locals go inside, order their meal and sit outside with their friends and a bottle of wine gave a special feeling at the end of a disappointing visit to a city where we couldn’t find what we were looking for. Due to the location and atmosphere my rating is very good.

• Visited August 2011