All reviews junior suite la loggia beautiful hotel overlooking florence former monastery main restaurant impeccable service the general manager every hour highest level pool restaurant the entire staff private terrace stunning views dining experience shuttle service shuttle bus
Reviewed October 11, 2004

We stayed at San Michele for two nights in Sept., 2003. Upon arrival, we were dumbfounded by the sweeping view of Florence from the hilltop location in Fiesole. We had reserved a regular double room, which was exorbitantly expensive, but which we were willing to pay for for the experience of staying there. On a whim, upon check in, I asked if they had any suites available, fully expecting to pay the extra price. After a few moments, we were advised that we were being upgraded to the Michealangelo Suite (Rm. 8), their largest and most luxurious accomodation, for the same price which also included breakfast each day and one gourmet dinner. From San Michele, we were taking a train to Venice. They advised me that they would return our rental car for us, presented us with the train tickets I had requested via e-mail and offered to drive us to the train station upon our departure from Florence. I thought to myself, now that's service. I have no anxiety about what could be a complicated departure from Florence, and I haven't even checked in yet.

With a flourish, they escorted us to our room where, upon entering, you could hear both of our jaws hitting the ground. It was positively baronial! It stretched the entire length of the front of the Villa and measured about 20x60. The ceilings were 17' high, fireplace was big enough for three people to sit in and we had 3 huge windows with unobstructed views of Florence lying below us. Magnificent is an understatement. The bathroom, (actually 2 bathrooms,his and hers) contained a Jacuzzi tub for 4 people. The room was graced with a huge bouquet of fresh lilies and, shortly thereafter, a waiter arrived with a chilled bottle of spumonte and a tray of various cheeses and olives, compliments of the conceirge. We spent about an hour in a daze just sitting around the room wondering what we had done to deserve this before we could bring ourselves to unpack or even think about what to do next.

We had our price included dinner in our room that night. Room service, yes, but an unbelievable dining experience nonetheless. They proceeded to serve us a four course, gourmet dinner complete with linens, china, crystal, silver, white glove service and candlelight in our room. The waiters were back and forth to our room at least 5 times setting up the table and delivering various courses. They piped in classical music and the setting was complete. It was so amazing that I couldn't even concentrate on the food which was marvelous. I felt like I was living a dream.

The next day was spent lounging at the beautiful pool gasping at the grounds, the remarkable views of Florence from every angle and the manicured loveliness of San Michele. The refined beauty of this place is simply breathtaking and unsurpassed, at least in my experience. Everything was top notch and we actually started feeling strange about the staff continually fawning over us.

Our room also included a breakfast buffet every morning, or room service. Unimpressed with the breakfast buffets at the other places we stayed, we had our breakfast in our room both days, which was great. However, on the morning we checked out, we caught a glimpse of their buffet. Wow! There were two tables about 20' long each set up with every breakfast food imaginable, and seating on the spectacular loggia overlooking the city and rolling hills beyond. We were so impressed and sorry that we had missed it that we actually sat down and had a second breakfast at the buffet that morning before we left.

In the end, despite our huge bill, we actually felt like we had gotten the most for our money. I don't know that I will ever have the means to stay here again, but it is surely an experience that I will always treasure and I would recommend to anyone who truly wants to treat themsleves. A very special place indeed!

Date of stay: September 2003
12  Thank kitty33
Reviewed October 2, 2004

The restaurant has one of the most fabulous views you can imagine. The food is divine. The service is immaculate. But you need to be prepared to take a major hit to your savings to eat at this restaurant.

This restaurant is for those who appreciate very fine food AND have the finacial wherewithal to support their taste....

8  Thank Connector29946
Reviewed September 17, 2004

The Villa San Michele is THE benchmark by which all others will now be judged.

Of course the location is wonderful and the main building historic.

But that's not it.

Of course the rooms [at least the junior suites] are wonderful and the bathrooms verging on the colossal.

But that's not it.

The gardens are wonderful.

But that's not it.

The pool is wonderful too.

But that's not it either.

The loggia restaurant, of course, is so wonderful it's beyond comparison.

But even that's not it.

What is it then?

Actually I'm not quite sure, because whatever it is it's much more than the sum total of all of those parts multiplied by two.

The fact that I'm struggling to describe it evidences the magic.

It's almost beyond definition.

It is indeed all of these things plus an aura of restraint, exclusivity, privacy and [it doesn't seem to fit, but it's true] warmth too.

The Villa San Michele is in a class of it's own. It is incomparable.

Hugely expensive, it's worth every last penny. I'd pay double and still say it's a bargain, because it delivers what it promises.

I want to award 10 stars, not a measly 5.

Date of stay: September 2002
4  Thank Brownbreadnbutter
Reviewed September 10, 2004

If you want sheer unadulterated luxury this is the hotel for you. Taking breakfast lunch or dinner on the terrace affords the most breathtaking views of the the beautiful Tuscan hills onto the ancient red rooftops of Florence in the distance. The room we had with its own terrace was enormous, the T.V. popped in and out of a wooden cabinet at the touch of a button, the bathroom , enormous! Food and service were faultless. However this comes at a price and most people just stay for a few days. I have stayed in many top hotels this was probably the best!

Date of stay: August 2004
4  Thank Bootspost
Reviewed May 23, 2004

If you want a taste of heaven state at the Villa san michele. The view is unbelieveable and in the evenings the atmosphere on the terrace is the most romantic place on earth.

We stayed in one of the junior suites overlooking the italian gardens and the room was just fabulous - the bathrooms are huge! every detail is perfect and if you're looking for the perfect honeymoon destination then this has got to be it.

The hotel shuttle bus takes about 10 mins at drops you in the centre of florence - and to be honest its a relief to escape back to the Villa at the end of a day int he Uffizzi!

A must for anyone's list of 10 greatest hotels inthe world!!

2  Thank Global19956