“Excellent dinner”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I came here tonight with my new wife on our honeymoon while staying in Florence. The food was excellent! I had the pasta with parmesan and stuffed ham, then had the florentine steak, which was awesome! And the portion of the steak was massive! The staff here are great, and very friendly.

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Buca Mario

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Reviews for Buca Mario fall into two batches: best meal in Florence and biggest tourist trap in Florence. We're in the latter.
The restaurant came well recommended as a favorite of locals as well as tourists, but only a single Italian customer was detected when we were there.
Welcoming staff, suspiciously over effusive in their scripts.
The food - sheer disappointment, compounded with a let-down of a high price tag that ended the evening wishing we had eaten elsewhere.

9 Euros for a mediocre mixed salad
18 Euros for a nothing special pasta
38 Euros for a tough, fatty bistecca

100 Euros per person later, with wine (4 Euros/person of which were for the honor of a seating, coperto), we regretted wasting one of our few meals on Buca Mario and not returning to the small neighborhood trattoria where much more satisfaction was bought for much less money the night before.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This restaurant delivers good traditional Tuscan food at exhorbitant prices. I was there with a friend, we shared an appetizer, had first and second dish (mine were ribollita and baccalà alla livornese, quite good), shared a mediocre dessert and a very average bottle of chianti, and the bill went to 69 euros each. Good but it charges at least 40% more than the reasonable.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I love me some steak. I've gone to very nice steakhouses throughout NYC. Peter Luger's, Old Homestead, etc

This can hold their own. And the florentine steak? WOW! I dont usually eat the meat that rare but thats the way to enjoy this cut the best. It was delicious. The neighboring table didn't think my Fiance' and I could finish it. Boy was he wrong...and surprised when we got up and took a gander at the dessert cart.

Without a doubt, I would come back here next time I am in Florence. This is not a cheap meal, but if you enjoy a delicious steak and know the price tags that come with them at reputable steakhouses - GO FOR IT!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Buca Mario was an unexpected treat... a recommendation from the Continentale concierge, this little gem served us up a fantastic meal.
It's pretty unassuming from the outside but as you descend the stairs and weave around the initial tables, it opens up like a cave!
The service is excellent, the staff add to the experience and oh my god, the Florentine Steak is a meal to behold (beware - order for 2+, it's HUGE!). Now..some of the wines can be a little pricey but there are loads of great wines at very reasonable prices :-)
The atmosphere is very relaxed with a mix of both locals and tourists. Definitely recommend.