“A little touristy, but so what? It's great.”

Ristorante Buca Mario
Ranked #140 of 2,786 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed September 2, 2013

You know what? People are right. This restaurant is a little touristy, and filled with tourists, but it really doesn't matter. I'm giving this place excellent for the following three reasons: 1. the food was good. Legitimately good. It might not be the cutting-edge trendiest right now restaurant of the moment, but by god it's enjoyable. The pastas and desserts were wonderful. 2. The service was incredible. Affable, jovial, not American-levels overbearing, but welcoming and warm - it's the first time I've eaten in a restaurant (and I've eaten in a lot of restaurants) where I actually felt like the waiters cared and the waiters knew your name. I don't know if it's a performance, but it's a genuinely authentic seeming one if so. It actually makes your experience of eating the meal far happier. My whole family left smiling. The wonderful manageress who gave us gifts on both evenings we ate there (yes, twice) made it a great experience too. Touristy or no, Michelin star or no, if I return to Florence I will definitely return here.

2  Thank prbstars
There are newer reviews for Ristorante Buca Mario

Reviewed August 31, 2013

An underground restaurant with truly authentic Italian food. I ordered the most amazing Ribeye steak I've ever eaten (and I grew up in Nebraska). Food and service were top notch and the underground character made the experience so Italian!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This place must be on every guidebook. I hate going to a restaurant in Italy that no one is local. I had the veal and the sauce looked very bland and almost canned. The wine was OK but not $60 worth. The waiters were all trying to be funny but that also turned us off...felt like I was on a group tour. The clincher was the complimentary apron and the request for an additional tip. I don't mind spending $150+ for dinner but I don't want to feel I am in a tourist trap. The table next to us did order a Florence Steak that looked quite good if you still want to visit.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went to la buca di mario with my wife following a reccomendation made by our hotel's concierge, who pointed it out as a good venue for local cusine which catered not only to tourists, but also to florentins. The location is very good, right next to the river, within the historic downtown. The entrance might be a bit misleading with its neon sign, but as soon as you walk in you are received with kindness and charm. We booked ahead and our table was ready without any delay. We received free champagne glasses and our tuscan hour d'ouvres were tasty with the exception of the lardone (lard), which was literally animal fat. We asked the waiter for a soft bodied chianti and his suggestion was very good indeed. For primi we had gnochi alla gorgonzola which were scrumptious; following that we ordered boar (cinghale) and ossobuco alla fiorentina, both of which were remarkable. Other reviewers have complained about the price, but given the generous size of the portions and the free goodies there is a good value which you would not necessarily find eñsewhere. For dolci we went for tiramisu and the nocciola sponge and our conclusion is that, whilst both are good, the tiramisu might be a better choice. after our meal, priced at 156 eur including a bottle of wine and tips, we received free grappa and limoncello, together with a nice box of biscotti to take back to the hotel with us. Alltogether we were very pleased with the quality of the food and the value for money.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Cannot believe how good the the steak and pasta was!! Best I have had in Italy! Family owned restaurant with a very professional approach! Fantastic service and again best steak and truffle pasta ever!! If you are in Florence, you MUST visit! 20/10

1  Thank RN221086