“Unbeatable”

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #11 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed February 26, 2011

The Four Seasons Hotel in Florence is almost a museum. It is a 14th century home that was renovated over 8 years to become a hotel. There are 116 rooms, all furnished differently. The ceilings, reliefs, frescoes, and stone are all original to the home. It is stunning. We had an enormous room with a king sized bed (very unusual for Europe). Our bathroom was all grey and green marble with etched glass doors. On the grounds are 2 additional buildings housing the spa and the workout facilities. There are also about 10 acres of private garden and grounds- all in the middle of Florence!
The staff genuinely likes people. They could not have been more friendly and helpful. Breakfast was traditional meats, cheeses, fresh fruit and breads. Fabulous! I cannot remember staying in a nicer and more welcoming hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmcbDenver
Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Beautiful hotel. We spent 5 nights and hated to leave. Florence and Tuscany were great and this hotel made it all even better. The hotel and grounds are lovely. The service is classic Four Seasons flawless. The rooms perfect and extremely quiet. The housekeeping staff very efficient and thoughtful (hanging up clothes, arranging shoes, leaving water and treats, refilling our fruit basket). Special note on the Concierge staff as they are fantastic (thank you Valentina). The very slight negatives: As noted before, it is a bit of a walk to the center and the bar drink prices are stunningly high (20E+ for standard cocktails?). All in all a very nice stay. One of the best we have experienced.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Texian
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The hotel is a conversion of a grand dwelling, dating back we were told to the fifteenth century. It is a lovely building, the public areas in particular. The gardens are also good to have and we enjoyed a couple of nice strolls outside in the sun.
Our room (which I think was the base king room) was fine - plenty of space, nice and comfortable and extremely quiet. Very good selection of tv channels on the evening we were back to the hotel early.
I would definitely recommend their Sunday brunch - it was splendid. The choice, and quantity, of food was impressive and the wine flowed freely throughout. A nice touch at the end were the various local producers who attended and handed out samples of their wares.
Service throughout was slick and professional and all in all, we had an very comfortable and relaxing weekend there. Have stayed in the Relais Santa Croce relatively recently, which we liked very much, and this compares well - probably the only disadvantage of the four seasons may, to some, be the location. It is not that far from the centre (I'd say a 15-20 minute stroll) but if you want to be able to pop in and out of your hotel during the day, the Relais is better sited for that. Don't be put off by the walk though as otherwise this is a very good choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCHLondon
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My mother and I enjoyed an amazing time at the four seasons as we expected, service was 5 stars, Lounge was 5 stars and the property was wonderful however…. The location was just OK, if you are looking to spend a romantic week with someone this place is perfect however, if you are thinking about fine dinning and shopping stay someplace else. Secluded location.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank autumnsky83
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This is such a beautiful hotel! I would love to live in this hotel, actually. Right before arriving to this particular Four Seasons, my husband and I had spent almost a week staying at the Four Seasons at the Nile Plaza in Cairo, which is a very different type of property, although just as beautiful in its own way. Whereas the Cairo Four Seasons is ultra modern, the Florence Four Seasons is a renovated former palace--and it is truly so beautiful! Our room was absolutely beautiful, as was the entire hotel. In particular, the lovely bar on the first floor is spectacular and I highly recommend stopping there for appetizers and drinks before heading out to dinner in Florence.

The concierge, Paul, was wonderful! He should be given a raise, as he is 100% there to help guests in every way possible. He gave us some wonderful advice about touring the wineries in Tuscany and helped my husband find wine shippers. He really did go way beyond the call of duty.

There were a few, surprising negative things about this hotel. First, the bed was not at all what I expected. It was VERY hard and as I have a bad back, I was extremely disappointed. After the plushness of the bed at the Cairo FS, I was very disappointed in how hard and uncomfortable the beds in Florence were. When we called to ask if they had a room with a better/softer bed, the staff explained that all the beds were the same; however, they did put some soft padding on the bed, which made it bearable for me.

My husband and I happened to both get ill with colds while in Italy, so one night, we felt so crummy we decided to order room service and stay in. What a mistake! The food was the worst I've had in any hotel--regardless of 4 or 5 stars. I was shocked the Four Seasons should have such low quality food for its guests for room service. Now, I don't know if the restaurant is better if you go there in person but my husband and I would never have dreamed of trying it after the soggy pizza, bland chicken soup, and overall disappointing dinner we ordered. Yuck!

Another small irritation was that after giving us a beautiful basket of fruit upon our arrival, the maid took it away before we were finished with it and I had planned to enjoy a few more oranges and apples--but poof it was gone before we had a chance.

The location is not the greatest in Florence. It's not really a comfortable walk from the center of town where all the nightlife is.

Other than the hard beds, the horrible food from room service, and the too "quick on the draw" maids, I would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Florence.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank melindaville
Reviewed January 7, 2011

If I could pick what heaven would be like after I die this would be it. Service is unassailable, cheerful. They made me feel like a princess. The rooms are beautiful and the concierges are amazing! Seriously, my very favorite place in the whole world. It's expensive but you'll never be the same after. The best.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Devon O
Reviewed December 19, 2010

The hotel itself is historically magnificent and beautifully restored. The services, the professionalism and the dedication to every detail is outstanding while beauty surrounds you everywhere.
The location is also terrific and walking a few minutes through the streets of Florence to reach the center is by no means a downfall. Everything from our accomodation, room service to dinner was exquisite, we experienced countless personalized gestures during our stay. One in particular was when we returned to find the romantic display of flower petals in the shape of a heart laid on our bed.
The compliments towards this hotel are unlimited so if you are passionate about luxury vacation, art and culture then this hotel is for you to treasure ( Trust, I am Canadian w/Italian hubby and we were both 'wowed' ).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple