“Wonderful and well worth the expense”

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #9 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Wonderful and well worth the expense”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

Despite or perhaps because of the hotel’s unremarkable exterior in a relatively drab side-street away from the buzzing centre of Florence, the first thing that you notice when you enter the Four Seasons Firenze is the elegant grandeur of the public spaces. Clever use of design elements has created a building with an interior that is faithful to the centuries-old history of the property, yet which works extremely well as a modern hotel, with a natural flow between the outside and inside spaces, and which makes what is actually quite a small hotel seem much bigger than it actually is.

However, the most remarkable feature of the property is the gardens, which in its size, maturity and beauty is indeed a rare delight for a hotel so close to a European city centre. Not simply a loose collection of trees and shrubs, the gardens include manicured lawns, wide pathways, secret grottos, ponds and small hills to climb and explore (much to the delight of our young children), while the many massive trees create a space that is serene and cool.

The overall effect is wonderful. The hotel’s interior and gardens are both beautiful in their own right, but together they are indeed spectacular and make this hotel one of the most pleasant that I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

A magnificent property is all very well, but it’s the quality of staff and service that differentiates all the Four Seasons properties that we’ve visited, and this one is certainly no exception. This was our first time with our children (two boys aged 4 and 7), and we were very pleasantly surprised with how thoughtfully Four Seasons looks after its smaller guests. Kid-sized gowns and slippers awaited them, and they got their own menu at dinner with crayons for them to colour it in with. As parents we were very happy that the children’s menu offered a wide range of healthy but tasty options.

Despite the hotel’s formal grandeur every member of the staff went out of their way to make sure that all members of our party felt special. When toys were left behind at breakfast, staff members sought us out to return them; when we discovered that a pair of swim goggles had been left behind at a previous hotel, the concierge secured a new pair within an hour and delivered them (on a silver platter) to the pool for us. And of course everybody knew our names (including our children) – a small but memorable touch. To single out individual staff members almost seems unfair given how good they all were, and in some cases it is simply because I can’t remember everybody’s names, but nonetheless I’ll mention Paul L. from the concierge desk, Stefania at reception and Kenneth at the front door as superb examples of how excellent Four Seasons staff really are.

The hotel’s various facilities are all excellent. The gym is large, well-equipped and bathed in sunlight while the pool is set in the gardens next to the spa and is split in two: the cold side is slightly longer than Olympic size, while the hot side is a quite substantial semi-circle with a radius of about 5 metres. Pool service was excellent – there were always at least a couple of staff members standing at a discreet distance, ready to attend to our needs and whims, and used towels were replaced with new ones almost as soon as we put them down.

Our meals (primarily in the hotel’s main restaurant, but also at the pool and in-room) were all excellent. The price is steep (around EUR180 for 2 adults and 2 children for dinner, excluding alcohol), but the beauty of the surroundings more than compensates for this, especially if the weather permits dining al fresco. We experienced a few minor service blips during one meal (out of 8 meals over the course of 3 days – we were happy enough with the food to take all our meals on the property during our stay), but couldn’t have been happier with how well the staff reacted when we complained.

Our rooms (213 and 214) were wonderful. We asked for and were able to confirm in advance inter-leading rooms, since the vast majority of the hotel’s rooms can’t take more than 3 guests. Both of our rooms were generously sized (the distance between the bedrooms along our own private hallway was 20 full paces, far enough apart so as to give us all our own quiet spaces at the end of a busy day) and had lovely views over the hotel gardens.

Other reviewers have complained about the hotel location, but I have to differ in this regard. The hotel is barely a kilometer from the Duomo, which is comfortably less than 10 minutes at a very leisurely stroll, and there are a number of interesting sites along the way. Other hotels may put you right in the heart of the city but you’d be sacrificing way too much simply for the sake of saving yourself 5 minutes of good aerobic exercise (or, at worst, a very brief taxi ride).

We really couldn’t find much to complain about at all. We experienced a couple of minor hiccups that should probably be expected in a hotel that has been open for less than a month (e.g. a sink that drained too slowly and a hand-shower that dripped a bit), but overall our experience was very special and can best be described as if we had come to stay at the historic palazzo of our favorite aristocratic uncle – we felt truly at home.

To sum up: we’ve previously stayed at the George V in Paris as well as the Four Seasons Hampstead in the U.K. and thus came to this hotel with high expectations, but even these were substantially exceeded. The Four Seasons Firenze is a truly wonderful property, and is well run by a staff that is warm, friendly and efficient.

• Liked — Spacious, comfortable, elegant
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
13 Thank nomoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

I arrived at this hotel on July 1. I spent four nights in heaven. It is truly the most beautiful hotel in the world.

I agree with everything said in the previous reviews. The hotel is perfection. Every single person from the lovely lady dusting the lobby and assisting you in the ladies to the hotel manager himself has a pride in this spectacular enterprise that just shines out and absolutely blinds you.

Go to this hotel now. Cancel all of your other plans and go to this beautiful hotel, in this beautiful city, in this beautiful country.

On July 7 my flight from Rome was cancelled. I was alone and all I could think of was that i wanted to go back! So, i called the airlines and rescheduled for July 9. Then i called the hotel manager who sent a car for me immediately. I did not care how much it cost because i was back once more in heaven.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank 4seasons50
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We have been lucky enough to stay in many of the best hotels in the world, and this just tops all of them. This IS the best hotel in the world!
I will not bore you with superlatives, just take it from me that everything is perfect.
One tip if you are staying there. Take a lift to the first floor and just wander around the corridors. Wow.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rioruss
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

My husband and I checked into the Fours Seasons Florence after our A/C didnt work in another hotel. Our goal was to find a cool room as the weather was so hot, but what we got was so much more than expected!

Best Four Seasons I have ever seen! Where do I begin? First of all we didnt know that it had only been open for a week so we were like kids running around exploring the virgin hotel, rooms and grounds. The hotel is beautifully decorated but still has the ceiling and floors from the 14th century building/home that it was.

Our room: beautiful, great shower, large bath, comfy bed, they even had Fox News which made my husband happy.

The grounds: huge!!! We walked around at midnight after dinner and it is so romantic with beautiful lighting and grounds.

We only had breakfast in the "purple" room that we served to perfection!

The staff: this is where they really set themselves apart from all the other 5 star hotels we stayed in on our trip (although Hotel Caruso is right there with them). Barbara in concierge helped us so much and with such a pleasant style. She made a reservation for us at the Hotel Caruso for dinner but we ended up staying there and everyone knew Barbara!. Paul, also in concierge hopped on his motorcyle and went to get a jacket that a store owner wouldnt deliver - no questions asked. Thank you both for all your help!

The pool: Well as we had the pool to ourselves, the service was also fabulous. In the first 10 minutes, they bring us a cool towel, in the next 10 minutes, we got fresh cold fruit treats.... all with a big welcoming smile.

We LOVED it and cant wait to return - you will too!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — loved everything
3 Thank docjennings
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

My husband and I had the good fortune of staying at this lovely property during its soft opening at the end of June. Upon arrival the staff swarmed our taxi whisking away our luggage and asking questions to the point where my husband couldn't even close out our business with the taxi driver. The staff was very eager to assist! Upon check-in we were upgraded to a deluxe room. The rooms look exactly as pictured on the Four Season's website. Our room had a view the garden which is situated at the rear of the hotel so street noise was not an issue. I don't believe there were other guests in the nearby rooms so it's hard to tell how sound proofed the rooms are.

We were told by one of the employees that this property is a former palazzo that had been privately owned by some Italian business and the Four Season's purchased it several years ago and has been renovating it for many years! The previous business had painted many of the walls with white paint directly over several frescoes. The Four Season's has restored the walls to what looks like museum quality. You really feel like you're in a museum when you're in several of the public areas---especially the entry where there is a replica statue and the walls and ceiling are covered in frescoes. It's simply amazing! Additionally, one unique thing I noticed is that the employees seem genuinely proud of the hotel and proud to work there. If they notice you looking at some of the art or frescoes they will stop what they're doing and come right over to tell you about what you're looking at and attempt to answer questions.

There is also a lovely spa, fitness and pool area at the back of the hotel among the gardens. When you're in this area you would never imagine you're in Florence or a city for that matter! It really felt like you're at an elegant resort instead away from any city.

Since we arrived prior to their official opening they did not have any special "packages" available so all food was a-la-carte. We did not have dinner at the hotel but, we did have breakfast one morning and although it was good, it was extrodinarily expensive! We just had juice and coffee. I had French Toast and my husband had Irish Oatmeal. Although the food was very good, the bill came to about $75EU so after converting to USD, I consider that quite excessive for breakfast.

Prior to our arrival, the concierge staff had booked 2 dinner reservations per my request. I had actually done my own research so I wasn't using them for recommendations but, I noticed that the two restaurants I had selected were on their list of restaurant recommendations. When the concierge forwarded me our confirmations by email, she also sent along their listing of restaurant recommendations for some reason. Other than the dining reservations we had them make, we didn't use the concierge for anything while we were there so I can't comment on them otherwise.

The only real negative I could find is the location of the hotel compared with other high end hotels such at the Lungarno Hotels. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the Four Season's is not right in the heart of things. It's about a good 15-20 minute walk to the Duomo and other tourist sites. I knew that before booking the hotel so I can't say that this was a surprise. I really don't like the street the hotel is on. Especially at night because it's narrow, not well lit and there were some strange characters lurking. Even with that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel because it's such a unique property, especially within a city. If you have the good fortune to stay here, I'm sure you will love it despite the location!

• Liked — The property is beautiful and unique especially for a city. The rooms are very nice, comfy beds and the staff is helpful and eager to please!
  • Disliked — Location is a bit out of the way
3 Thank Squeaky781
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

The Four Seasons has done it again. First on location: I think it is perfect. It is a ten minute walk outside of the main tourist attractions of Florence which adds some peace and serenity to the place without being too far away.

The gardens are some of the most spectacular that any hotel could own. There are beautiful works of art everywhere. The ceilings are ornate and beautiful. There are important and lovely frescoes, paintings and sculptures.

The bedrooms are utterly sumptuous with big closets and bathrooms. The bed linens and pillows are incredible and classy. The ceilings are high and slightly arched.

The carpeting again is of the highest quality. Even the wooden floors--which are new--are obviously expensive, high quality floors.

We fully expected some hiccoughs given that the hotel has only been open a few weeks, but we found nothing. The concierge staff was very helpful and kind.

There are spectacular features in this hotel that we have found in no other. The remarkable courtyard with frescoed walls, the lovely bar area with gorgeous, inviting curtains to encase the sitting area, he lavender colored breakfast and sitting area.

There are minor areas for improvement, but they are hardly worth mentioning. For example, the maids come too early to turn down the beds and some of the staff, while sweet and good intentioned, are still learning their job.

While this is an expensive hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2008
3 Thank laabis
Firenze
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

I apologise for any errors.

THE ONLY DEFECTS:

-The hotel is not absolutely in a central position. (forget any type of Boutique near the hotel).
-the Palazzo seen from the outside is impressive but not beautiful.
-the garden as very pretty and immense is attached to a road very busy so no feel whistle birds, but the traffic noise in the background.
-the standard rooms are very dear, the 750 euro per night when the value in relation to other Hotel and what offer is a maximum of 400 euro.

THE QUALITIES
-Tthe luxury of unbridled common spaces without similar in a hotel in Italy.
-The restaurant excelled.

STORY
I had the pleasure to be the first day of opening to the public on 15 June 2008 and was really exciting.
The staff is impeccable, certainly at the height to satisfy the most demanding of guests. arrived in taxi (about 7 euro from the Duomo (25 minutes walk)) a porter the hotel with a beautiful divided and with a refined emphasis English there opens the door, so two goalkeepers there open two imposing doors giving access to a marvellous four seasons.
250worker
4 hectares of garden rooms
20 room already available
79 THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ROOMS from 1 July
Paintings, textiles, tapestries, sofas, Console, floors, low hills, statues, flowers, small rooms, chapels, Details, DETAILS, details of a high value worthy of a hotel to 7 stars.
Everything is on the top. We move immediately to the restaurant because they were the 14: 30 and closed at 15.00.
The refinement from the giant chandeliers in to the Chairs impressive.
by the High Windows one sees the start of a delicious well kept garden.
The menu offers 3 appetizers first 3 2 soups 3 seconds of meat 3 seconds of fish (prices of the 25 to 40 Euro dish) excellent wine list and service.
The taste is very developed and refined style cuisine which have the restaurants with an evaluation of a Michelin Star.
Therefore amazing location and more than fair kitchen.
At this point we pass on to check-in, where we are greeted by staff very very very kind.
US accompanied in the room from an exquisite girl there from some clarification on the importance of the palace of the family Count Ugolino Della Gherardesca of the XIV century.
The room is like the Photo considerably great AT THE PRICE OF 750 euro. The Park out is very large and well looked after. An important team was preparing an event for Corneliani THAT AT PITTI man 2008 organized fashion.
The swimming pool is very beautiful, yet in software the wellness center.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION!

• Liked — The Retaurant end The lobby
  • Disliked — The location, to far from the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio
8 Thank marcopieri