“Brilliant succulent food”

Trattoria Sostanza
Ranked #145 of 2,712 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
“Brilliant succulent food”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Discovered this through TripAdvisor whilst on a short holiday in Florence, and didn't regret the visit to this quaint, and not particularly easy to find, restaurant. The restaurant was less busy at lunchtime and we ordered the famed butter chicken and the Fiorintine Steak. Both mouth watering and although the steak looked intimidating in terms of size, it went down well with the wine that we had ordered. Attentive service combined with great food ......what more can anyone ask for ?

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
“Feel like home! ”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Its yummy! The atmosphere is casual n friendly. My husband and i got recommended this resto by another couple who we sat next to the night earlier, and it was as good as they said. Their signature dish Butter Chicken was super. Should def. order! Their Veal Chop was very nice too, my hubby finished it in no time. Their dessert was yummy too, we ordered their daily dessert so i didnt know wat's that called! Pls note they are now closed for summer n will resume back to work on Sep 2!

1 Thank mfu0403
Napa
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Tucked away in a mostly residential neighborhood, this trattoria serves outstanding food, family style, as it has for decades. It's clear the locals patronize regularly...always a good sign. Their signature chicken dish is beyond compare. Ask for cavour for dessert.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lisa P
“Just fantastic”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We want to talk about the food -- which was truly excellent -- but we first need to mention the service, which was above and beyond. After hearing about this place from friends, we made a reservation and showed up excited to eat the butter chicken, which everyone had recommended. When we arrived at the restaurant, we noticed a sign that said no credit cards. The manager was really helpful, and tried to point me in the direction of a bank machine to get some cash. (A warning to everyone coming from the States -- exchange money before you leave! The exchange rates are absolutely terrible in Florence, and while the banks offer somewhat better rates, most banks will only change money for their clients.). My attempt to get cash didn't work. Instead of being frustrated, the manager made sure my wife (who was waiting there while I futilely attempted to get some euros) didn't leave until I found my way back to get her. He also happily made us a reservation for the next day. It was worth the wait. The butter chicken is simply one of the best plates of food I have ever had. Another meal (the eggplant omelet) was also fantastic, but everything pales next to the chicken. The restaurant is small, and you must make a reservation, but it is more than worth the effort.

Visited July 2013
Athens, Greece
“Disapointment”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We used to dinner since 1974. Our last diner was a disaster. I couldn't chew the bisteca [which used to be the best in Florenece], so I sent the dish back [which they didn't deducte from the bill]. My wife had the worst spagetti in her life - she didn't it. The service was bad and arrogant. The whole old staff -which I knew- wasn't there anymore. I complained to the owner [I knew his father] but he was indifferent. In few words another old good spot of the city: gone.

• Visited March 2013