“Meringue!!”

Trattoria Sostanza
Ranked #144 of 2,680 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Singapore, Singapore
“Meringue!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

This came highly recommended by friends who are real foodies and we were glad we managed to squeeze this in our 2 day trip in Florence. This restaurant is tucked in a quiet street in florence and when we arrived about 10 mins before opening time, there were already groups of people waiting at its doors. Like almost everyone else, we ordered what this trattoria is well known for. We first had the artichoke omelet which was well executed. We then had the butter chicken which came on a sizzling pan - crispy on the outside and moist on the imside. Then came the steak florentine which was equally well cooked although if we had to compare, this came a close second to the one we just had the day before at another restaurant a few streets away. The highlight for us at this restaurant was the finale which was the meringue which was served with wild berries - the cream was light as air and the crispiness of the meringue just melts on its first bite. All in this was a great dining experience -while the restaurant was packed with travellers, it was a showcase of a typical Italian tratorria. Customers had to share tables but all in the good spirit of great food and wine. A place worth visiting. Reservations required.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kenming

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic place with seasonal food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This place has that old school factor backed with a great product and service. You couldn't replicate the buzz of the place, very European with lots of people having fun and happy to have a table. Simple things like artichoke omelette are executed perfectly. Butter chicken is great. Radicchio salad was drizzled in oil and salt and was so fresh. We had a plate of tiny wild strawberries to finish. Service was genuine (which is rare in florence) and very friendly. Highly recommend!

• Visited April 2013
Boston, MA
“The best steak of my life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I will never forget this Florentine steak! I loved it so much I took a photo. This restaurant is small, unique and superb! This is a go-with-the-flow kinda place with a select (small) but fantastic menu. The steak was beautifully cooked and wonderfully tender. And it was HUGE!! Others in the party ordered butter chicken and loved it just as much! The veggies and desserts were also fantastic. I highly recommend. There are two seatings a night and Florence has red and black addresses on the same street (and they are not sequential!) so give yourself a few extra minutes to find your way.

• Visited September 2012
Concord, Massachusetts
“A must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Throw financial caution to the wind, credit cards, too as it's a cash only restaurant, and RUN to this restaurant making certain to be at the door as soon as it opens at 7PM. You won't regret this dining experience.

My dining companion and I, being silly Americans, arrived hoping that at 6:30PM we might enjoy dinner. Sadly, the restaurant doesn't open for quite a while past that hour so we spent too many minutes sitting on a cold granite bench in the Santa Maria Novella plaza. What time we cooled our heels was more than compensated by the meal we ate.

We were seated at a big table which gave us a wonderful view of the kitchen; too fun. I ordered a steak and my dining friend ordered pappardelle a la bolognese. My spelling may be terrible, but my recollection of that meal is perfect. The bolognese is a recipe for which I still search, and the wood-grilled steak was so very perfect that I wish I could have it again, and again. Oh, and the garlic infused greens (don't know if rabe or spinach) were grand. And the house red wine was delightful. We went back the next night only to be turned away; guess we didn't make it there early enough for silly Americans seeking dinner without reservations.

I can't say enough wonderful things about this restaurant, and had I more time on this earth, I'd add it AGAIN to my bucket list.

• Visited May 2012
Rome, Italy
“Authenticity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Sit next to the kitchen if you are lucky enough! We were fascinated by the cleaver-wielding cooks chopping off hunks of florentine steak to grill on the small brazier angled over the wood fire, along with the cast iron skillets of the grilled butter chicken. Reserve a table in advance - we couldn't get a table for dinner but were accommodated at lunch the next day. There is online booking via the 2 Spaghi website. When you are walking down Via Porcellana do not be dismayed if it is hard to find. The street numbers are not sequential. The trattoria is located towards the middle of the buildings on the street, on the side away from the Piazza Repubblica. After lunch, there is some great browsing in the surrounding area with antique shops, etc.

• Visited March 2013