“Good food - service could be better”

Trattoria del Carmine
Ranked #656 of 2,744 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Good food - service could be better”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We have eaten here several times and like the food which is different from the usual offerings. However, this time I felt that the service was less than friendly - a pity - it could be really good.

Visited March 2012

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Global
“You – and they – could do better.”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I'm a little unhappy about writing this review.

We first visited Trattoria del Carmine in 2005; the food and prices were very good, the service friendly, courteous, and more or less competent. Also, on none of the three occasions we ate there was it particularly crowded, despite the fact that it was July, so it seemed as though it somehow managed to be off the beaten path.

We were back the following year, and they were busier, even though it was much earlier in the season. Service wasn't so good; the seemed to fall apart when things got at all busy. Also, I found half a rabbit pelvis in the rabbit sauce in the pasta dish I'd ordered (I know my biology, recognized it at once); the odd vertebra or two I can sort of understand, they're tiny and can slip by, but this was a good-sized chunk: a bit careless.

We decided to not go back again, but this year we thought they might have pulled things together, and gave them another go.

Unfortunately, they've descended to mediocrity.

The food was perfectly okay, but the portions were about half what they used to be, and the prices significantly higher. Service is in the 'meh' category: Were were not thrilled to be practically rushed out the door after lunch, particularly as there were plenty of empty tables both outside were we were, and indoors, and no one new was showing up.

Essentially, it is perfectly adequate, but with very little effort, it is possible to find far better food and service and better prices. Florence has much, much better to offer.

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Avoid this one!”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us by staff at our hotel. We were very disappointed. The food was bland at best, the wine was some of the worst we have ever had, and definitely the worst we had in Italy. We even heard the staff muttering about "Americans"....Our meal at this restaurant was an unfortunate end to what had been a nice day in Florence. We're sure that there are other restaurants in the city where the food, wine and service have to be much better than what we experienced here.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank JMM0612
TAIPEI
“I will never ever go to eat there again, no matter how good is the food”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

last night, i was eating there, everything is ok.
But in the end, they asked me to move in a very rude way while i still have half glass wine not finished yet. I know they are busy restaurant, but i don't think it's the proper way to do it
For me, I will never ever go there again.

• Visited October 2011
4 Thank WENDYINUK
San Jose CA
“One of my best meals this trip to Florence”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

In my never ending quest to sample all the best food in Florence, my husband and I ate here tonight after walking past it multiple times on the way to and from our Oltrano apartment. It was always very busy, so we decided to try it. I had an arugula and artichoke salad that I thought was perfect-great simple olive oil and lemon dressing, and when I asked, I was told that the thinly sliced artichokes were raw, which I have never had before. My ribollita was also delicious and very highly recommended. We sat in the outdoor patio in the piazza and it seemed that most other patrons were local. Judging by the quality of our very reasonably priced meal, it is very understandable.

Caveat-my husband was not as happy with this restaurant as I was, so I am speaking for myself only.

• Visited October 2011