“Honestly - don't bother - check the other reviews, I wished we had”
Review of Alle Murate - CLOSED

Alle Murate
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was personally recommended and was in the guide book - forgot to check TripAdvisor :-(

The menus is quirky and I struggled to find something that I really wanted at the price. Who mixes anchovies with veal? The list of odd flavours continues on the menu. My wife's Lamb stew, was just to salty and there was no liquid in the stew - so very dry.

The service was terrible and I do mean poor, slow and seriously rude or lacking knowledge. The senior person argued with me when I asked politely if it would be possible not to have the anchovies - something about the "chef" will not like!

Sorry, I am paying....

We didn't bother with desert, we had waited 2 hours for first two courses.

This place needs a rethink from both service and menu perspective.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have to agree with the previous reviewer, in that the building itself is the star attraction here. The space manages something almost impossible: modern surfaces and angles in an ancient, curved space -- and it works! This may be one of the most beautiful restaurants in Florence, and you'll want to wander around. You'll have plenty of time to do this, fortunately, because the service is quite slow. The staff does indeed put on a show of service, but it always seems to be for someone else. Previous comments about the menu are spot-on: it's hard to know what to order because there's no identifiable theme to the menu. And the wine is overpriced. What you're paying for is the ambiance, which is excellent, but you leave feeling it hasn't quite been worth it.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We always spend a good part of the year in Florence, so we consider ourselves familiar with a wide range of Florentine restaurants. Alle Murate came highly recommended, so we looked forward to our dinner there. The room itself is spectacular and unique, but that's the high point,
I'm afraid. The confusing and redundant menu tries to be both hip and authentically Tuscan, but misses the mark on both counts. But it's the tone of the place that is the real disappointment. They all bustle about with an air of efficient formality, but it ends up being self-conscious and mechanical. That wonderful combination of grace, charm, and effortless proficiency shared by all the best Italian restaurants is simply not there. To top it off, we waited almost fifty minutes for our "second," which they had apparently forgotten all about. Through it all, not a hint of an apology.
Perhaps they thought that that would somehow break the spell...... Insomma, a terrible disappointment for both of us.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The place is absolutely stunning specially if you are there for a special ocassion. A very romantic restaurant in the heart of Florence. The service was impecable as well as food presentation just as you expect for a 200 Euros meal. The food is average eventhough the menu is very reduced (only 3 plated per dinning time), with this selection I would expect stunning and tasty food but the flavor is not so great. Overall I recomend this place if you want a nice atmosphere and you want to spend some money for average food.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

A very special place for very special occasions. Excellent and very creative food, exclusive service, fantastic wine choice. And all this in a medieval palazzo under the first known portrait of Dante (14th century). Do not miss the little sightseeing tour, the staff will give you an audio guide. All in all, a fabulous experience.