“A bit out ofthe way but well worth it!”

Alla Vecchia Bettola
Ranked #306 of 2,712 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Florence, Italy
“A bit out ofthe way but well worth it!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I Have lived in Flr for over 5 years as this is now my favorite place. Very few tourists and fantastic food. Different menu everyday, full of locals, and friendly helpful stay, most of whom speak some English. Great place to get a feel for the real Florence, they love kids, and if it is nice they have a few tables outside. Reservations are usually necessary, but if you are willing to eat early (7pm) you can probably get in. It is located at Piazza Tasso, (south side of the river). 15-20 easy and pretty walk from Ponte Vecchico, on bus lines D, 12,13, or taxi.
Whenever we go I insist we get an order of deep fried rabbit (coniglio fritto) to share if it is not on the menu just ask they may still have some

Visited February 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Zurich
“Food is very good, fast meal”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Last week I took again "penne alla bettola", the first time I took them here it was in spring 2001. They were as good as the first time.
Filetto was very good and artichokes salad was delicious.
Bettola is just out of the city center, I always stop there when I am near Porta Romana and I want to have a fast lunch.
Place is small, often crowded, most likely you will be in the same long (and narrow) table with other people, so you will probably hear other people talks better than your talks.
I think you can get the kind of place it is, and then decide whether to go there or not.
I believe main reason for negative feedback from other people was because they were expecting something different.

• Visited December 2012
North Lancashire
“Salty, slopped on plate...oh dear!!! Help!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Restaurant cold and I felt the need to keep my coat on! Appearance of a kitchen as you enter -tables with bench type pews or milking stools, not very comfy! Anti pasti misto comprised of various salami, prosciutto, tapenade on bread and something which reminded me of 'brawn'. Husband had lamb which was rolled with carciofi [ artichoke] and i ate the conciglo [rabbit] with olives and beans [ very salty]. Not a particularly exciting menu. The place was packed with locals some on Christmas nights out by the time we left. Seven euros for a bottle of lager is rather extortianate to say the least! If this is typical of florentine food then something is wrong!

• Visited December 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“thank you hotel conciege for this horrible recommendation”
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

let me make it quick on this review. came here because my hotel conceige said this is where locals eat...ok, average small portion food, MAD salty and average taste. waiters was not friendly and wanted to rush me out...dont go here and waste your time and money... one of my worst europe dining experince, i wish i could turn the clock back and ate in mcdonalds instead.

1 Thank Tony L
Limerick, Ireland
“Brilliant find”
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Great food & wine @ very reasonable prices, knew all about gluten free food as the wife is a coeliac, only stumbled across this place by accident, glad we did