“Best Restaurant we Ate it in Florence; locals say it's for tourists, but it was better than the local's recommendations”

Cantinetta Antinori
Ranked #404 of 2,875 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We ate here based on a recommendation from a friend in the United States. We had our hotel make a reservation for us upon our arrival for our first night in Florence. Getting in was no problem.

The location is convenient, the decor is nice and the staff was very friendly on our arrival.

The wine list is great. It's not very big, but it has standout wines at great prices (by US standards). The waiter was very knowledgeable of wine and made a great recommendation for us. Almost every wine was available by the glass. I ended up finishing the night with one of their most expensive Supertuscans at 25EUR glass of wine. I believe the bottle price for that wine was 160EUR so the glass price was a great value! Don't worry though, there were many great bottles in the 25-50 EUR area which by US standards is a bargain for this quality.

Our food was incredible, every dish was of exceptional quality. We had a diverse meal which included fresh cheeses, artichokes, mushrooms, veal and dessert. All were remarkable. The cost of our meal for two was very affordable considering the quality. We spent the same amount at other restaurants in Florence and didn't enjoy them as much as this place.

The only thing I would caution is that a 10% gratutity was added automatically to our bill. Coming from the US, this isn't offensive to me, but perhaps some European visitors might be a bit disappointed by that. I will also say the pace of the meal was a bit quicker than typical European high end restaurant experiences. However, we slowed the pace down and the staff was fine with that.

Since this was our first meal in Florence, we spoke about the restaurant to various tour guides. The tours were wine and food based, so the guides are knowledgeable of wine. Both tour guides commented how this place is so expensive. They made other recommendations of "better" places, but both of the recommendations we took from them were no where near the quality of food/wine than this place. Furthermore, the price of eating at the other recommendations came out to be about the same as here for similar types/volume of food.

While it might not be a "locals" place, for international customers, it is first rate, and I highly recommend it. I'll definitely visit this place again upon returning to Florence; it'll be the only dinner restaurant I'll revisit given my other experiences.

-Brian

1  Thank brianv

Reviewed September 29, 2012

To advertise the Cantinetta Antinori in the Palace of the same name is an overstatement. La Cantinetta is in a corner of the palace and you don't see the palace, at least at night. Then, forget about a romantic dinner in the gardens of a palazzo in Florence.
The wine offer which is the main reason you go there was disappointing. I ordered Solaia, Antinori great supertuscan, and 2008 was the only year offered. Why? This is not what you expect.
92 at WS and 93 at RP I will go with WS. Then it comes price. You are expecting a decent price. NO, it has a markup of at least 50% which I found high.
At lunch I have tried to my entire satisfaction Antinori Chianti Classico and it was a far better experience and at 22€, 10 times better than the Solaia 2008.
The buffala mozzarella was ok. The parpadelle with tuscan ragu was excellent and my steak as well as my wife tagliata was superb. A Grape pudding was very good.
I will not come back if I don't hear reviews indicating the wine offer and prices has substantially improve.
Arrivederci to my favorite Antinori family.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Wonderful Tuscan Cooking, Very accomodating Staff and not Surprisingly Outstanding Wine List and incredible selection of wines by the glass. Very reasonable prices for the quality offered. Must reserve in advance.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We always go back to this traditional Italian eaterie whenever we come to Florence.
It is always busy-tourists and locals-the service is consistently good and so is the food.
Their ossobucco is heavenly! So is their wild boar ragu.
A must!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Tripadvisor readers should take note of the mixed reviews for this restaurant and go elsewhere, Florence has so many better and more welcoming places to enjoy.
Briefly we arrived at 8.55 and were without welcome shown to an upstairs table where we were handed menus. By 9.00 we were asked for our menu choices without being asked whether we would like a pre dinner drink. We asked for a drink which was promptly delivered and again we were asked for our choices. By 9.10 our first courses were laid unceremoniously before us, actually they were ok. By 9.20 our plates were hoovered up and by 9.30 our main courses were plopped down in front of us, we both had veal with porcini, it was bland and tasteless. We had ordered a side of steamed vegetables ( at 17 euros???) which were cold i.e not even heated. We checked with the waiter who told us that was the way they were always served.
By 9.40 our plates were cleared away and the waiter started noisily clearing the empty tables around us making it quite clear it was time we had left.
Throughout our short time we had no interaction from any of the staff , I think we were just grockles to them. It was such a disappointing evening, we had hoped for so much more.

1  Thank Gables123