“Great find”
Review of Hotel Collodi

Hotel Collodi
Ranked #127 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Felt right at home. I really like this hotel. It is so comfortable and so nice plus it is close to some great places to eat and spend a nice evening. The room we had was very spacious, neat and very very clean. We will stay here again when we visit florence. I was looking forward to this stay here and it not only met but exceeded my expectations. Great job in management of the hotel. Well done and keep it up. I recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

3  Thank Homz U

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were a family of 4 consisting of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 & 10) and stayed in the quad room with loft (see picures in hotel description). We arrived at the Hotel by taxi as we couldn't be bothered walking with our cases. It would however be possible and I'd suggest it would take 15 mins or so.
We were met there by Giovanni who I'd earlier spoken to a couple of times on Skype when investigating the hotel. He was quite pleasant and seemed quite organised. We placed our bags in the hotel elevator and walked the 1 floor minus our Daughter as she accompanied the bags due to the fact the floor button needed to be held until it reached the floor your wanted. We beat her up by 30 seconds or so and decided we would in future take the stairs (not steep and broken into 3 flights) even though my wife had dodgy knees. The stairs are easy.
We entered our room and after being spoiled for room in Rome (see review) we were a bit surprised at the lack of floor space. After a few minutes though we realised that the camera angle in the pictures was used to it's maximum advantage and after unpacking realised we had more than enough room.
The bathroom was small which was to be expected but fully functional. Just a tip not to have real hot showers otherwise you won't see much due to lack of ventilation. The towels where thin but full size, surprisingly they did the job though and the texture gave a good back rub/scratch.
The beds were quite comfortable and full size, us having a large double and the kids a single each upstairs. Noise from other room could be a factor as street noise would be with windows open. We were so exhausted after 8-10 walking a day that the kids didn't hear a thing and after thinking we'd be annoyed for 5 minutes or so we would wake in the morning. No issue in the end with this and given the hotels location well worth a bit of noise. Thhere was a small television for memory but we didn't bother with it. We did pop the air conditioning on one afternoon to test it out. It did do enough to take away some heat but not a great impact. I'd suggest more would be felt in the middle of summer but don't expect a gush of cool air.
Breakfast was served in a small room downstairs that have 4 tables with 4 chairs to each. Only one morning we found it full which just meant popping back in 10 minutes. Breakfast consisted of a choice of pastries, hard boiled eggs (cold), yogurts, cereal, toast and a tea/coffee/chocolate machine along with another for juice. The pastries we restocked every 5-10 minutes as well as yogurts if required.
Plenty of cheap places to eat withing a minute or 2, under 5 minutes to Dumino, under 2 to street market and only say 10-15 mins to Ponte Vecchio (turn let outside front door, right at end of street and the keep walking.

Now onto the service.

Giovanni we found to be busier than a bee, buzzing back and forth from the front desk to the breakfast room. If you were disappointed with the remaining pastries for breakfast you only had to wait a couple of minutes and there was Giovanni refilling it. He was always seemed to have a smile on his face and acknowledged guests whenever he saw them with a warm greeting.
Then there was also Nadine who took over from Giovanni after his shift. Again nothing but smiles and very pleasant and helpful with great English also. I'd suspect Nadine could also help any German visitors also of an afternoon.

NOW.....a big tip if you like art (or not as id with me) and especially if you have kids. It is a must to walk a couple of streets to Studio D'Arte Balletti and see Caterina Balletti. She is not only an amazing artist but a truly lovely lady. The kids still haven't stopped talking about her. my son even emailed her himself yesterday which reminds me aI have to do the same and send her some pictures. AGAIN....this is a must as you're under 5 minutes away and I'm not an art lover by far (even didn't bother with statue of David whilst there). Tell her Bradley and Jessica say Hi (my kids) and watch her smile.

Now to finish up,

Would I stay here again? After the 1st 5-10 minutes I would have said no. Now it's a resounding yes given the location and service. I'm sure there is better out there but we wouldn't risk it and this is more than enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wawoftam
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Close to most of the main tourist atractions and the train station. Rooms of a reasonable size for the price paid, breakfast room was a bit cramped at times but selection was OK. Staff all very friendly and eager to help.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevepaint
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We found this hotel via Tripadvisor and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Florence was very busy and crowded, but the hotel was a haven of peace and quiet, and the staff most friendly and helpful. We could walk to all the places of interest, and the hotel was close enough to the Duomo, that we could easily return and flop out there after climbing up into the dome! There were plenty of eating places nearby, both touristy and more traditional. Would definitely recommend to any future visitors

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

a lovely hotel so close to the train station and Mercato. Our room for 3 persons was large and beautifully decorated. the bathroom too was spacious and we loved all the ceramic tiles!
the staff was extremely sociable and helpful. We were so glad we found such a lovely spot for oue Florentine stay.

Room Tip: We had our room on the first floor so we could walk up. the elevator can be used just to take up yo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Warm wnd welcoming to say the least! Whne we arrived at 8.30 am, a little late because of train delay but very early to the hotel (at 6 Via Taddea near the Mercato Coperto) we entered and I introduced myself and my husband. We had booked online. Oh yes of course, here is the ticket you emailed and asked if we could print for you and your room is ready right now!
It felt really nice to be welcomed this way.
The room was large, with a tiled floor, luggage bench and comodious bathroom, including a bath with piping hot water. Later when we asked about the remote possibity of live music anywhere on a winter Wednesday night, reception staff jumped onto the ent to check it out. No music alas but a comfortable conversation. 24 hour access with a key to a side door and a clean, well laid out set of rooms. We will definitely pop back here when we need to visit Florence.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is about 10-minute walk from the central train station. It would have been quite difficult to find but for the clear, detailed, step by step guidance instructions on the hotel a website. Just followed them and I got here without any problems.

The room is spacious. I booked for a double room and was given almost like a triple room. Everything in the hotel was fine and the reception staff was very friendly. There is a lift inside, so you don't need to worry about pulling your luggage upstairs.

One problem that we had was the stop in the sink wouldn't go up after we pressed it down to keep a pool of water. We asked the hotel staff to fix it and it was quickly done.

My only comment would be that breakfast starting time is a bit late, at 8am. So if you are in a hurry to catch am early morning train, you may have to skip breakfast although you have paid for it.

• Stayed: December 2012