“We were so lucky to stumble upon this great hotel walking out of the train station in Florence with no reservations!”

Hotel Cosimo de' Medici
Ranked #82 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed May 15, 2009

The front desk has been so pleasant. The hotel is an historic building across from the railway station (look for the McDonalds across the corner). We took a side trip from Rome and arrived with no reservation and no reference on a hotel, except that our concierge in Rome said you will finds lots of hotels as soon as you walk out the front door of the railway station. This place is charming and easy walking distance of all the tourist attractions. What you cannot walk to you can ride a bus to (they are across the street from the railway station in the same block as McDonalds). I would be happy to return to this hotel if I am lucky enough to return to Florence.
ps breakfast in included

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank melizabethb

Reviewed April 8, 2009

I loved this place. It was freezing the day I arrived in Florence, and I had had a bit of an issue finding it (got off at the wrong railway station and had some difficulty figuring out where I was) so when I eventually found the Hotel it was a pleasant surprise. The location is very central and walking distance from the Firenze Santa Maria Novella, the main train station in Florence.

The Hotel reception is set back off the street and through an archway; there is a brass plaque on the wall though so keep your eyes peeled for it. Check in was painless and the staff were welcoming. The room I was allocated was very small but then I was on my own so I didn’t need a lot of space. If I was to return to Florence, and I would stay here again, I’d book a larger room if only for a double bed rather than the single which wasn’t conducive to a restful sleep. The bathroom is also quite small and narrow but again not a huge problem.

Breakfast was included in the tariff and included juices, cereals, canned fruits, pastries, fresh rolls and an assortment of packet crackers and cookies. There were also some cheeses and cold cuts as well as jams and preserves provided. Coffee and tea was made available to order.

The Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful with recommendations for eateries and sight seeing, and I would advise you heed their recommendations for restaurants as some of the places I ate in on Largo Fratelli Alinari weren’t so great. There is a supermarket on the same street if you need supplies and lots of take away food places if that’s your preference.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Duomo and a number of other attractions but I recommend you have a map on hand so you don’t get lost.

On the whole this hotel was a great choice for me albeit the small room. I would recommend its location and price.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank meejayne
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed here in March 2009 for 2 nights.

As some of the other reviewers have said the hotel is located about 2 mins walk from the train station on the main road and about 10 mins walk to Duomo and the rest of the main Florence attrations the area around the hotel also has some great places to eat and at responable prices - try Lobs Fish Restaurant, which we thought was excellent!

Anyway back to the hotel..... The decore is very modern and its all very clean and nice, with flat screen TV's (athough only Italian TV Stations). We found the staff to be very helpful and the lobby had a PC with internet access, which was very useful, and breakfast was included, which was nice.

Our room was on the main road and had a nice set of big double doors which opened onto a small balcony, I was initally concerned about noise from the road, but the doors were double glazed and blocked out almost all of the road and traffic noise.

I only have two complaints, one being that although the room featured AC and it wasnt really hot you were not actually allowed to use it! I've found this is the case in alot of Italian hotels, I'm guessing electricity must be really expensive! The other one is something that isnt really the hotels fault and I guess we were just unlucky, but the people in the next room were really loud and left the TV on till the late into the night!

Overall if I was to stay in Florence again I would definetly reconmend this hotel

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidAndPed
Reviewed December 27, 2008

we spent our romantic christmas trip in this lovely downtown hotel.the hotel is located in the heart of the downtown from which is possible to reach all the monuments by feet. the rooms were quiet, cleaned and scented. the staff was professional, friendly and efficient. i enjoyed our romantic christmas trip so much (I also made great christmas shopping).

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank sofiePrague
Reviewed November 8, 2008

The small Hotel Cosimo de' Medici was one of the highlights of our European visit which included a Mediterranean cruise and a few days in Italy. Tucked away just 5 minutes' walk from the railway station, accessible through a gated archway, it proved to be an excellent choice and a great way to finish the holiday. The desk staff were fantastic, speaking excellent English and happy to take the time to provide maps, directions, and advice on how to get where and also nearly places to eat. Although the place has a spare, humble look to it, everything was spotless, beds were comfortable, plumbing, windows and a/c worked fine, and the breakfast was delicious and attractively served in a charming breakfast room. Great European coffee served with a pitcher of hot milk. Our room was very quiet although there was a lot of foot-traffic on the sidewalk outside and all the rooms were occupied. The hotel has combined new windows with the old windows, resulting in about 4 layers of open-able windows! Our overlooked a small interior courtyard. There is a typically tiny European elevator to take you up to the second floor. For me, one of the best things about the De' Medici was the free fairly fast Internet available at a computer in the lobby. Helpful staff give you a password that is yours for the duration of your stay. I loved this little hotel and i overheard other travellers saying the same thing. From it, we walked easily to the Accademia, the Ufizzi, the Duomo, the market, the bridges, and the bus garage by the station to catch a ride to the airport. This is a great spot.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank DLCAlberta
Reviewed October 7, 2008

On our recent trip to Italy, Florence, we were staying in COSIMO DE MEDICI a wonderful hotel in the centre of Florence. The location of the hotel is great, we were in the centre of everything.
As well the accomodation and cuisine were very good with friendly and helpful employees.
We wanted to share our excellent experience with others who may be visiting Florence in the future.
K.D. Macan

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2008

This hotel is located in the most convenient location in Florence. It is right across the street from the train station (Santa Maria Nouvella) and it is steps away from the great sites situated in Florence. It is definitely a comfortable hotel, as we stayed in a quad. If you are looking for a quaint place to stay right in the heart of Florence this is the place for you. And be sure to visit the restaurant a few doors down from the hotel for some of the best pizza. Although from the outside it may look a little unsafe, this hotel is truly a safe place to stay because they locked the gate at night and you had to be buzzed into the hotel after a certain hour. Safety at its prime.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends