“Best stay of our trip”

Ranked #19 of 297 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Melbourne, Australia
“Best stay of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Regrettably its taken a long time to send this review.I was unwell on returning to Australia,and then
kept procrastinating.Nevertheless left it on my email list because I was determined to thank ,
Francesca of Alfani Al David with a proper reviiew .Francesca was a very friendly and helpful
host .The apartment there was very comfortable,elegant and had all the conveniences.
It is located very centrally in Firenze,with a major Gallery almost opposite.My wife and I loved being in Florence and we would gladly go back there and to Francesca's apartment if we can return to Italy again .It was definitely the best apartment we stayed in during our 10 weeks travelling around Europe. Thanks Richard and Alannah Davies

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are delighted to hear from you - and thank you so much for being so determined to get this review out. We truly understand how hard it is to make the time! Sorry to hear that you were ill - hope things are all great again now. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Saint-Tropez, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 kids) spent two nights in the Palazzo Alfani, and it was great, the owners are friendly and extremely helpful, the location is fantastic and within walking distance of most of the attractions in town, the Accademia is just a couple of feet away from the front door.
Probably one of the best places we stayed in with the kids, and we will be very happy to visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
It was great having you - and we look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is my belated and very much overdue review of the most excellent lodgings in Florence. My husband and myself stayed in an apartment here in July and we truly did not want to leave. Francesca was courteous, friendly, and most helpful - plus charming and witty as well! We truly felt at home here. The building is within walking distance of everything, with a grocery store, coffee shop, and restaurant on the same block. One of our favorite activities was gazing out the window and people watching the tourists and vendors interact outside the Accademia on the street below.

Florence was beautiful, but our lodgings made the stay in this city that much better. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else and have recommended the rental to several others.

Thank you for a lovely stay and for having a sense of humor when I filled the entire building with the smell of cooked garlic! (Whoops!) Hopefully you will not hold this against us when we have a chance to return to your fair city in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatlinSTJ
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Better late thank never! Thank you so much for finding the time to write - we know that it isn't easy. Cooking smells are part of Italian life, and we love garlic,so we look foward to you next visit!
Ommen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at palazzo Alfani in october 2012. Apart from it being in the right place it is a real treat to be in the inner city centre. Everything is at walking distance. Our host, Francesca, was always seeing to it that we felt at home. We drove by car to Florence, parking had been arranged by Palazzo Alfani and was excellent taken care off.
We'll come again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We can't wait! It was fun and we look forward to doing it again!
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I spent four days in Palazzo Alfani in October 2011 with my three teenage children. I had chosen this place after having read the reviews on Trip Advisor and found that it was even better that what we expected. The location is ideal, opposite the Accademia and 5 mn walk away from the Duomo.
We had a two-bedroom apartment on the second foor, overlooking the street on one side and the patio on the other. The place is an old palace which has been refurbished and is just beautiful. The apartment was very spacious, with two separate bathrooms. The bedroom overlooking the street could be noisy because of the tourists queuing for the Accademia (and they start queuing early in the morning!!!).
The only thing we regretted was that we hardly saw Francesca at all. She gave us the key when we arrived and after that, seemed to be very busy with her own personal life and could not be bothered with us, so we could not rely on her for any tips or advice at all. She had even gone away for a long week-end when we left and we had to leave the key with someone else.
I had expected it to be like a bed and breakfast but it was more like an apartment rental (we had to get our own breakfast).
However that was the only negative point and I would strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello. Firstly we are absolutely delighted that overall your stay was wonderful. That is very important to us. Next, you didn't feel looked after enough by me personally and that's not the feeling we like you to go away with.

Our accommodation is rather unique. We are not a hotel (we don't have a reception or concierge), we are not a bed and breakfast (we don't offer breakfast or other B&B services), yet we are not rental apartments either (we don't check you in and check you out and leave you on your own in the bit in the middle!).

The best way we can describe it is being neighbours! I, and my family, live in an apartment that is inside the building. We live our horribly busy lives (I only have two children, you have three, you know what I mean) right next door to you. We are very friendly neighbours - present if you need advice, a cup of tea and a chat, a cup of sugar or some restaurant tips - just knock on the door. Or nearly invisible and very out of the way if you enjoy your privacy and quiet.

Sometimes I have to rush out and sort out a lost suitcase at an airport when another client is arriving, but I make sure that their key gets to them somehow. Sometimes I sneak a weekend away with the kids in the summer, as holidays are nearly impossible for us. Sometimes I join a couple of our clients for dinner in the evening round the corner at the local ristorante. Sometimes I cook a traditional cake and offer a slice to anyone to happens to knock at my door whilst there is still some left!

That's the best description for me - a good neighbour! Come back one day, knock on the door and we'll have a glass of vin santo and a couple of biscottini together!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was there for 3 nights and totally enjoyed my stay there. The room was great for both 1A and 1B. Great location as it is very central and within walking distance to many tourists attraction. Right opposite to David too! More importantly, Francesca was wonderful and helpful in every way. I will strongly recommend Palazzo Alfani al David and I am already planning on my next trip to Florence and intend to stay there again. Faith - Singapore

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
franflo75, Owner at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Truly - we count on it. Would love to see you again.
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed on the second floor facing the bustling street - though it's not very noisy at night when the queues for the Accademia have disappeared - and were so pleased with the apartment. Two huge rooms, one with a frescoed ceiling and a spotless bathroom with top notch fittings. You can lean out of the window and see part of the Duomo - it's that central. Francesca is a delight, full of smiles and recommendations. The Pugi bakery just around the corner is a must for wonderful bread, focaccia and amaaaazing cakes. So nice to be able to take off on foot and discover the delights of Florence and nip back for a restorative break before you go out for the evening. Much better value than a hotel. We will come back. Grazie mille Francesca.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsBTopCat
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello! The bread at Pugi is criminal - sooooooo good. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay - and hope to see you again perhaps.