“Friendly staff”
Review of Hostel Gallo d'Oro

Hostel Gallo d'Oro
Ranked #20 of 311 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very nice hostel, convenient location and owners very helpful. Breakfast good and staff very helpful in helping with advice on restaurants and things to see in Florence.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Gallo d'Oro

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Let me say i've never stayed in an hostel in my life. After a very bad hotel experience this was a good find. The owners gave me good suggestions, the room is good and comfy. Of course this is an hostel so it's not that silent but i have to say that the owners do their best to make people feel like welcome and home. Thanks !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The positives about this back packer hostel were the elevator (at last, no lugging heavy bags up multiple flights of stairs), the laundry, and most of all the atmosphere, and the warmth and friendliness of Samantha who is the heart and soul of the hostel and the unofficial tour advisor.
Her breakfasts were just wonderful and nothing was any trouble to her. The rooms were clean and comfortable and our room had its own bathroom and toilet facilities.
The hostel is located within reasonable walking distance of the Duomo and the Accademia (the David) and the bus stops almost at the front door.
The down side for us was the absence of air conditioning in the Florentine summer and this was a big negative for my partner and I who, in our 60s, are probably getting a bit too old for backpacker hostels.
Overall, however, this hostel was was very good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Garry M
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Excellent place. We loved the hostel. The service was also very good and we enjoyed the breakfast as well. Location is excellent and centrally located, yet avoids the noise of the tourists around.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I loved the service, the smiles and the helpful tips except the last tip. We were told that we could get on the bus and pay 2 euro heading to the train station. My friend and I ended up being fined 55 euro each on our way to the train station. So the false information put us in a really bad spot. Not too happy about it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank traverso56
Reviewed July 22, 2011

There are so many things about this hostel that make your heart sing, for the 21 day traveling, staying in 7 hostels, this is the best bar none.
From the moment I walked in I was greeted by Matteo and Samantha, they gave me the espresso and sat me down for breakfast, they made me feel like a part of the family, at night, Thomas, the night ship worker, made us a pot of pasta and gave us wine, out of his own good heart, he refuse to take money, we sat down shared stories with other travelers around the world, laughs, jokes, in different languages but somehow we understood each others jokes and quips, fun place to be, I really recommend this place to anyone, I will book there in the future...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I spent three nights this hostel in June 2011 and choosing to stay here was a really great decision.

In an otherwise expensive city, I paid only €28 per night (a really competitive price) for a bed in a 6 bed dormitory (the dorm had its own bathroom and shower, and the use of another bathroom outside of the room in case the shower was in use). The dorms are cleaned and beds made daily and very clean overall and a clean towel is provided.

The €28 includes breakfast, which comprises juices, breakfast muffins, fruit, as much coffee as you want, bread+butter+condiments+access to toaster and some sort of pastry/dessert each day (e.g. tiramisu on the first morning - is it an Italian thing to eat this for breakfast??) Access to a few washing machines was useful. Also, free WiFi in all areas and use of two fast computers in the hall with internet access 24/7.

The people who run the place are extraordinarily friendly and helpful. They speak excellent English, chat with all of the guests, constantly offer to make you coffee for free! They lay out snacks/juices/water all day long which are really welcome after a hot day sightseeing or upon arrival. They recommended some really great restaurants to me (Mimmo's and Tito's, on a parallel street to Via Cavour) and gave me a map of Florence on arrival and helped me to find my bearings.

Having young, friendly staff really created a cool atmosphere in this hostel. Except for a couple of people, I found everybody really happy to chat, share travel advice and have a laugh.

With regard to sleeping arrangements, people were generally considerate of other guests when they came in late/left super-early etc. Unfortunately, the air conditioning in my room required an open balcony door (->street noises) to function and given that the AC itself sounded rather like a washing machine it got a little loud. I can't blame the hostel for snorers I suppose!

If I'm back in Florence on a budget, wouldn't hesitate to return here. Happy to recommend and that says a lot.

Room Tip: All rooms the same really!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends