“Great Location, Elegant Flat, Bad Sound Proofing”

Il Salotto di Firenze
Ranked #66 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 3, 2014

When researching for accommodation in Florence, this place comes highly recommended with rather cheap price tag for such a central location. Stayed here for 3 nights and can highly recommend this place. Booked via booking.com because their B&B website is also quoting the same price. Bill was about 167 euro for 3 nights before 2% cash payment discount. I could not find any discount code online.

PRO:
- Truly great location, right around the corner of the Duomo (besides Gucci) – no exaggeration. Within walking distance to many attractions. I walked everywhere and never used a bus in Florence. Quite easy to find from the train station once you got your bearings.
- Room itself is in classic style but everything still works. The flat itself is so elegant, with high ceiling and hard wood flooring; it is as if you have your own flat downtown. Got in room safe, mini fridge. I didn’t see the hairdryer though. Cleaned daily.
- They have shared kitchen with fridge stocked with food & drinks which you can enjoy for free. Unfortunately you’re not allowed to cook though.
- Extra 2% discount for cash payment.
- Receptionist can help make reservation (they help booked Vini e Vecchi Sapori for me which turns out to be one of the greatest meal of my life!) – they are also responsive in emails.
- Free stable wifi (you need to ask for a code, and ensure its activated throughout your stay).
- Air con in room which you can control. Heaters also available.

CONS:
- Limited receptionist time. When I arrived at 12.30 pm (which is still within their reception time), I rang the bell and no one answer. I got a code in advance, but they did not told me I need to press * at the end. When I managed to do that & got into the building; I realized that they never told me which floor they are (1st fl, btw – excluding the ground floor). Before I hunted the whole 4 floors; Alessandro came and apologize as he left to help some other guest who got lost with their car. It was scary for a bit though, not knowing where to go & no one to help. Make sure you got their number & your phone is working just in case of emergency.
- Once you checked in, they gave you set of 4 keys with different colors to open various doors before you can enter your room. Ensure you know how to use them & don’t left them in your room! I wish they would just put a number instead of asking guest to memorize the color & sequence.
- There’s an ancient lift (the one that I saw in old black & white movies) but you primarily used the stairs.
- Bad sound proofing. I can hear my neighbors talked, watched TV, go to the toilet and all. You better pray you don’t have loud neighbors.
- Breakfast started at 8.30 or something which is rather late (I skipped all 3 breakfast because my itineraries & day trips require early start). But again, lots of food & drinks at the fridge to fill you up.

I know I put a lot of cons, but I was just trying to be honest & helpful. Nevertheless, I still would recommend this place if you are looking for value for money place to stay in such a central location. If you find my review to be helpful, pls click that helpful vote – thanks!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
12  Thank Ti_Chan

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This B&B was excellent in every way, no dissapointments whatsoever. The staff was super nice and I couldn't have asked for a better location- right at the corner of the Piazza de Duomo. If I went back to Florence, I would not think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen E
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed for one week here in late September 2013 while travelling solo in Florence. The room was clean and well laid out with a modern bathroom. The breakfast was a nice start to a long day of sightseeing. The very best part of my experience was the wonderful friendly service provided by Alessandro and Marco. Alessandro helped me book a tour, train connections and find a local supermarket and laundry, and Marco lent me his umbrella on a very wet day. The location is perfect. I would highly recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Patricia383
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for just two nights, but would have been happy to stay a month! Alessandro was the perfect host, friendly and knowledgeable. We very much enjoyed the little balcony over the street, watching life go by and interacting with the street musicians. Access to the kitchen (to make tea etc and help yourself to snacks) at any time was greatly appreciated. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great location in Florence right by the duomo!! Will definitely stay here again! Room was spacious and clean. Diego was a great host as well and informed you of where to go in Florence considering I had a short amount of time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Justin C
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here for the second time. Again, we stayed in the Fattori room, which has the small terrace. It is our favourite, and the primary reason we returned to this B&B.

The B&B is in a wonderful location, hard to beat, but this time I found the room to be a little tired. I was surprised to see that not much had changed in two years. They still had the same throw pillows, and fake flowers that were in the room in 2011. The pillows particularly were pretty dirty. It would not cost very much to spruce up the room a bit with new decor, and I think that would really make a difference.

The WiFi was unpredictable/not working, and when it was the signal was very weak in our room.

The breakfast is not very memorable.

Room Tip: Fattori is the only way to go.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AEMcJ
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We chose this B&B mainly because of its location just in the City centre next to Duomo and Baptisterium. We spent 4 nights there. As we arrived in the evening we got instructions in advance by e-mail how to get inside B&B including PIN code to get access into main entrance of the building and B&B itself and it worked perfectly. Allessandro was very helpful and friendly during our stay. Breakfasts were quite basic with limited choice in comparison with other B&B we have experienced in this price level but satisfactory. The room as well as bathroom were clean and nicely furnished, aircondition and WiFi connection worked pretty well. The only problem was noice from the street during the whole night. It might be wise to chose one of the rooms which do not face to Via Roma street. We can overall recommend this facility to visitors of this beautiful city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple