“A nice option not far from the city center”
Review of AC Hotel Firenze

AC Hotel Firenze
Ranked #164 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The AC Marriott in Florence can be compared to a Courtyard in the US. It is much more modern than most Courtyard. There were pros and cons to this hotel. Let me start with the pros. The hotel is fairly new and the service from those at the front desk is quite good. They do offer a nice selection of a buffet breakfast in the morning. I noticed there were comments that said it wasn't a shady part of town. Quite the quiet contrary it is a typical suburban area of Italy. We found nothing in the area feel unsafe. It is not in the city center but only one stop away with the tram. We took it every day with ease into the city center. It was a five minute ride. As for the cons the hotel had very thin walls did not make it easy to sleep in the evening sounds from the hallway next door and outside were easily heard outside of that we found our stay there to be most pleasant. It is not a five-star hotel but very typical of a Marriott courtyard type of stay. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good value and does not mind being a few minutes outside of the center of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for AC Hotel Firenze

Reviewed July 8, 2013

As with other reviews if you need or desire to be in the heart of old Florence this is not the hotel for you. If you don't mind being a 5 minute taxi, 20 minute walk to the train station then you will not be disappointed. Yes, breakfast is typically not included unless you booked the bed and breakfast rate. If not then the breakfast is 12 Euros, not outrageous given the area. The breakfast is fair and more typical of an American breakfast, fine but not great. My wife and I typically brought back wine and snacks for our evening meal to relax in our room.

The rooms are modern in design as is the hotel,in general, the staff is helpful and ready to please.

As a Marriott Platinum member, I like consistency of the hotels and recognition. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed for this level of hotel, remember to compare to an updated Courtyard Marriott and you will know what to expect just with a more modern twist. I would not compare to a full Marriott, Renaissance or the Boscolo hotels which are a little more upscale.

We alternated walking or taking a taxi. The taxi rates ranged from 5.50 Euros up to 8.00 Euros for us and the walks ranged from 20 - 30 minutes depending on distance and route. A local grocery is an easy walk if you want dinner in your room to supplement a late lunch. We had the bar open wine for us that we picked up either locally or on the wine tour we went on.

If you are a Marriott fan I highly recommend, if you need to be in the heart of the noisy city and crowds then maybe this is not the option for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am usually very pleased with Marriott stays.This hotel though was a very different experience.
The location is a bit out of the way but made manageable by a tram nearby. The room was adequate and clean. Aside from those two reflections, there was little else that was positive.
There is no internet provided without a 9-10 euro charge, even in the lobby. And there is also no a la carte option for breakfast, not even for a cup of coffee! .
One cup of coffee can therefore cost 12 euro. (There is also no complimentary coffee in either the lobby or the room, as there is in many other Marriotts). And since the hotel is not centrally located, it can be a 20 minute excursion for both wifi and coffee. The staff was uneven in temperament and expertise. If I return to Florence, it will most likely not be to the AC Firenze.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dpa
acfirenze, Direttore at AC Hotel Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Madame,

First of all, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Jean Tayar and I am the hotel general manager. Regarding the issues that you wrote, I would like to inform you that in the AC Hotels by Marriot, for guests who decide to make the reservation by using the Marriott members points, breakfast is not included and should any of these guests decide to have breakfast at the restaurant, the cost would be 12,00 € per person, otherwise, they can always decide to have breakfast at the hotel's bar by chossing from the bar menù. Regarding the complimentary coffee, always the this new Marriott hotel brand, we do not have the executive lounge reserved to the members, this service is not provided by this new hotel brand.

Please also note that the hotel is located at 10/15 minutes walking for the main city center area, and at less than 100 meters from our hotel, you can find at least 7 bars and 11 restaurant.

I remain at your complete disposal for any further information you may require

Sincerely yours

Jean Tayar

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The AC Hotel Firenze is a very nice hotel in Florence (Firenze) that is very close to city attractions (short walking distance) with modern decor and amenities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Firenze looking for modern amenities in a beautiful city. The staff was very helpful during the stay and the parking in the garage is easily accessible and spacious. The hotel is very clean and the breakfast is nice.

Despite the rating of excellence, there is one item to be aware of when booking this hotel. The prepaid rate is better but if using the Marriott website, may be very hard to identify until you have already booked the room (text is very small similar to legalese warnings). Unfortuantely, I had several changes occur to my travel plans and the hotel was extremely stubborn about cancellation even several months in advance. I had to move my treavel plans around extensively to accomodate this lack of flexibility. I was able to move the datesbut that was the extent of the flexibility. Being a platinum Marriott rewards member, this lack of flexibility at a Merriott property I have found to be very rare.

Room Tip: No swimming pool nor kids activities. Despite the rating of excellence, there is one item to be a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We are loyal Marriott Platinum members and that is really the only reason we chose to stay at this hotel while visiting Florence/Firenze for 2 nights.

Pros:
- Seems brand new, very modern
- Large modern rooms with large modern bathrooms -- no tub
- Good buffet breakfast
- Unexpected rooftop patio with a nice view of the city and mountains -- shared with the penthouse suite

Con:
- Location -- not in the city center. Requires a 30+ minute walk to the city center or a short ride on the Tramvia (stop is Porta al Prato, 1.20 euro per person each way)

Check-in was easy and being Platinum members we received a welcome gift (we opted for 2 free drinks at the lobby bar which came with some snacks), an upgraded suite, free wifi, and free breakfast.

Getting to the hotel from Firenze Santa Marian Novello train station is a bit confusing at first, you need to board the Tramvia which is right outside (head out the left exit if you're facing the tracks), you can buy tickets/bigliettis from the newspaper stand or the machine. The Firenze Santa Maria Novello station is the first/last stop, so you can't get on the Tramvia going the wrong way. Get off at the first stop (Porta al Prato) and cross the major street (if you're not crossing two crosswalks, one for each direction of traffic, you're going the wrong way) and continue past the lotto stand, you'll see another train station (not sure that this one is in use...) and you'll see the hotel building ahead of you just past the roundabout.

The breakfast buffet is good (slightly above standard) and the hotel is relatively quiet.

The lobby baristas are a nice touch and overall the hotel is very inviting since it is so new.

While the location is outside of the city center, it is a safe area and there are some good local restaurants in the area. We never waited longer than 5 minutes for a tram to get into town and it wasn't very inconvenient, but it would of course have been nice to be in the city center -- although, I'm sure you pay more for that.

Area recommendations:
- Niwa is a nice Japanese/Thai restaurant very close to the hotel -- a nice break from Italian food, if you need it! Interestingly, we only saw locals eating here... likely due to the location
- Gustavino was a nice Florentine restaurant in the city center, excellent service and food, they make their own wines/prosecco so feel free to taste a little bit
- All'Antico Vinaio is a great sandwich shop, worth waiting in line for
- Gelateria della Passera had the best gelato we came across in Italy -- recommended by locals
- Free Florence Walking tours -- http://www.florencefreetour.com/

I would only recommend this hotel if you are okay with being just outside of the city center. It was our first time to the city and our stay was short, but this hotel suited us just fine.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sad69
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My stay at AC was part of a multi city booking, so I didn't do much vetting prior to finalizing my plans. It was obviously a new hotel with very clean and comfortable rooms and common areas. The buffet breakfast was included in my reservation and it was really nice with a wide selection from meats, cheeses, scrambled eggs, quiches, pasteries, cereals, etc. WiFi access was not included and quite pricey. The staff was friendly.
The tradeoff for these roomy, new, clean accomodations is the distance from the city center. Walking was definitely a planned part of my trip and I normally look forward to walking off my dinner. Unfortunately, it rained the 3 days I was there and that totally dampened the experience. I saw other posters comment about the ease of the train in to the city center. Shame on me for not doing that research, but a suggestion for the staff is to offer up that information upon checkin. I put on a smile, bought an umbrella and trudged onward.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Average hotel that is outside the tourist spots. The hotel seems to be new but the hotel surroundings are a run down. It is a clean hotel with helpful staff. The AC hotels in Italy are similar to Courtyard by Marriott in USA. So if you are a Platinum member with Marriott, all you get is a free Wifi.

We felt completely out of place after staying in Rome at Rome Marriott Grand Flora before coming to this hotel. Of course, one can’t compare the two as Rome Marriott is a five star hotel.

The hotel is not friendly towards families. We are family of four with 12 and 7 year old kids. Rome Marriott charged us for an extra bed for 53 euros/ night whereas this hotel forced us to take another room. The room doesn’t have connected doors. So, you break up your family as can’t let kids sleep by themselves in a completely different room in an unknown location. It certainly damped our vacation spirit. The hotel general manager tried to sell rack rate rooms but I used Marriott points to get the second room. The hotel GM quoted Italian law as to why 2 adults and 2 kids can’t stay in the hotel. However, if you go to Westin or other hotels in Florence, they gladly give you a room as long as you use existing bedding or at most they will charge you for an extra bed per night. Marriott should try to bring the parity to policies and make these Italian Marriott hotels friendly to the families. We stayed at Marriott’s at London, Paris, and other European cities as a family but never experienced this. Certainly these AC hotels management should learn a lesson about hospitality from their counterparts in Florence (Starwood chain) or Europe Marriott's or at least visit once American Marriott's to learn about hospitality towards families.

Marriott recently changed this hotel to Category 6 from Category 5. It may be because of the demand from tourists rather than facilities. I would say use this hotel if you can get it around 100 euros … otherwise try researching other hotels that has some ambiance and character. I really liked Westin Excelsior’s location and their policies. I would definitely try to stay at their property next time I visit Florence.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family