“Its an OK hotel as long as you dont consider it to be a Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of AC Hotel Firenze

AC Hotel Firenze
Ranked #165 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Budapest, Hungary
“Its an OK hotel as long as you dont consider it to be a Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Im not so sure that Marriott understands the implication of what they have done. They managed to co-brand an existing italian hotel chain but forgot to implement the Marriott standards. So U have a hotel that carries Marriott in its name and thats really sums it up. (strangely enough Marriott used a different letter type here in their logo. Wonder why????)

This hotel should be reviewed in its on right and not as Marriott. Its a descent 4 star hotel. Nice rooms. Nice bathroom. Internet is fast.

Breakfast is a weak point. It is rather basic. Surely not a 4 star quality. Breakfast starts at 7.00am which is rather late considering that the hotel tries to market itself as a business hotel.

Location is nothing special. A good 15 minute walk will get you the Duomo.

Front desk staff are helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GPeto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greenwood, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely modern hotel, right in the heart of Florence. Excellent service. Underground parking (with a fee) that is excellent in Italy where finding a parking place is exremely difficult.

WONDERFUL lounge bar. So packed one night that there wasn't a table to order a light dinner from, so they opened up the restaurant after hours for us and then for about 5 more tables of guests.

Just lovely and highly recommended.

PS: In Italy, A.C. is pronounced Ah Chee! Very important if you are asking for directions!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RW P
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is part of the Marriott brand but is their newer AC hotel division. I am not sure what AC stands for but maybe it means not courtyard. This hotel has some aspects like a courtyard but the some others like a Marriott. The rooms are like a courtyard with bathrooms that look like they belong in a W hotel. A bit to modern with glass sinks as they show everything that you used while getting ready. They are like a Marriott in prices including 10 Euro per night for the internet. The lobby is nice but than they have desks in It that doubles as tables for lunch, dinner and drinks. Really not a comfortable situation. The hotel is set off by itself so I ordered room service as there is really no close restaurants.

The hotel, is a good 25 min walk to the historic center.

It is a very modern hotel with glass everywhere. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast is only fair.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be fine
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard H
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

If you have stayed in Marriott hotels and are accustomed to the clean, comfortable rooms, then don't worry this is the place.

Location is a bit far from the city center, but it is 5 minute walk from the station which can get you where ever you would like to go. We ended up taking a taxi a couple of times when were were just too tired to walk any further.

The staff was very friendly and we had no problems with anyone. On the contrary our stay was made special by some very friendly staff. One particular young lady at the breakfast buffet would bring fresh strawberries for my daughter every morning. My daughter's would wait for her to come every morning and would try to communicate with her new best friend. If the management of Marriott reads this please commend her for going above and beyond, and being as friendly as a person can be.

The rooms are very clean and very comfortable, although a bit small in size. If you want something that is a bit more authentic Italian, there are plenty of other places to stay. If you want a clean, modern, comfortable place then like I said earlier you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mustafa R
acfirenze, Direttore at AC Hotel Firenze, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your impression. And we look forward to welcoming you one more time in our hotel, should you decide to visit our wonderfull city in the near future.

Sincerely yours

Jean Tayar
main st
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I try very hard to stay in Marriott's while traveling. I am platinum rewards member. This Marriott, which I think is a franchise is not what I have grown to expect from Marriott. The front desk staff in my opinion was not trained properly. When I checked in they told me I did not have a reservation, then my room was for one not three, and when I asked for the manager I was told he was not available and if I wanted to speak to him I could leave him a note, right. My three day stay here was just not right. When we got to our room there were towels for one, it took time for towels to arrive, our phone did not work and was never corrected and you could tell that the staff treated us like ugly Americans. I have traveled the world many times. We are not ugle Americans. We go out of our way to treat the locals like we would like to be treated. This Marriott has a lot to learn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jabaldo
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is modern, good size room, comfortable beds and pillows. It is not in the historic center, but you can go walking. Good breakfast buffet.
The only downside was that when we did the reservation, they had the free minibar included, but when we checked-in, tre front desk said they had change the rules.
For a short stay, probably stay again in AC Firenze.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CristinaRiodeJaneiro
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I travel in Italy almost every year and as an American-Italian, I want American standards/service which is why I was so happy when Marriott expanded in Italy. As a platinum member, I expect the established benefits but more importantly as this is an American hotel chain, I expect American standards.

My stay was good until checkout. Upon checkout, I find that the hotel increased my daily rate by 15 euros without telling me. A long story but I had booked the first night under one rate, and had a 2nd reservation for the weekend rate in case we liked the hotel. The website has a bug that changes the # of people during the search process so I didn't see that it was changed from 2 to 1 (different rates for each). My issue with the hotel was when I checked in and I asked them to combine my stays into one record, they should have given me choices i.e. use the rate for the first reservation or that my second rate increases due to a 2nd person. There was no dialogue so I assumed my rates were as booked. Upon checkout, the person was nice enough but useless and solved nothing. That same person talked to someone behind the desk, neither person did anything. No customer service, just the typical Italian attitude of 'your problem, not mine' when in reality this should have been dealt with at checkin and I could have made proper decisions. I left hating this hotel and never wanting to return plus I was in a bad mood the rest of the day due to how this was handled. It wasn't about the money.

Pros: the breakfast staff was fantastic. The hotel upgraded my room which was appreciated. Love the room layout and the large bathroom plus the modern conveniences.
Cons: yes, paper thin walls and you can hear the toilet paper roll in the next room. The heat in the room is absolute horrible. We didn't know the temperature was not in our control and I woke up in the middle of the night with an anxiety attack due to the claustrophic heat.

Regarding Marriott Corporate - I hope they streamline the AC hotels and clearly document the Platinum benefits. When I checked the website, I assumed breakfast was not included as it is 'AC'. A bit confusing so it is easier to just state 'at AC hotels, this is what you are entitled to'. In addition, I strongly advise Marriott to audit these hotels. My stay at AC Bologna was AMAZING and the staff was the BEST with total customer service. Quite a shame that the Firenze hotel is not to the same standard. Maybe the management at Bologna can reinvent Firenze.

From my perspective, I recommend the many Best Westerns in Firenze.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zingara
acfirenze, Direttore at AC Hotel Firenze, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jean Tayar and I am the hotel general manager. I would like to thank you for sharing with your impression with us, which with no doubt, they will help to improve our services.
Regarding your case Sir, I can assure you that we receive at least 100 reservation per week through our system and not only, and in no case we had any sort of problem, regarding the rooms occupancy and the number of people allowed per room type. In your case, the reservation was made for one person and upon your arrival, the person at the front desk, informed you that your reservation was made for one person and in case of a double occupancy, you had to pay the difference for the second person. It has nothing to do with the platinum Marriott status or a normal guest. Either a Marriott member as well as any normal guest, should pay for the difference between the double and the single occupancy.

I can understand if you are upset with this situation but I can assure you Sir, that it is clearly written and indicated, pass by pass, point by point the type of room that you are booking and the difference between a double and a single occupancy.

I remain at your complete disposal for any further assistance you may require

Sicerely yours