“Not up to Marriott Standards” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of AC Hotel Firenze

AC Hotel Firenze
Ranked #161 of 421 Hotels in Florence
main st
“Not up to Marriott Standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I try very hard to stay in Marriott's while traveling. I am platinum rewards member. This Marriott, which I think is a franchise is not what I have grown to expect from Marriott. The front desk staff in my opinion was not trained properly. When I checked in they told me I did not have a reservation, then my room was for one not three, and when I asked for the manager I was told he was not available and if I wanted to speak to him I could leave him a note, right. My three day stay here was just not right. When we got to our room there were towels for one, it took time for towels to arrive, our phone did not work and was never corrected and you could tell that the staff treated us like ugly Americans. I have traveled the world many times. We are not ugle Americans. We go out of our way to treat the locals like we would like to be treated. This Marriott has a lot to learn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jabaldo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is modern, good size room, comfortable beds and pillows. It is not in the historic center, but you can go walking. Good breakfast buffet.
The only downside was that when we did the reservation, they had the free minibar included, but when we checked-in, tre front desk said they had change the rules.
For a short stay, probably stay again in AC Firenze.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CristinaRiodeJaneiro
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I travel in Italy almost every year and as an American-Italian, I want American standards/service which is why I was so happy when Marriott expanded in Italy. As a platinum member, I expect the established benefits but more importantly as this is an American hotel chain, I expect American standards.

My stay was good until checkout. Upon checkout, I find that the hotel increased my daily rate by 15 euros without telling me. A long story but I had booked the first night under one rate, and had a 2nd reservation for the weekend rate in case we liked the hotel. The website has a bug that changes the # of people during the search process so I didn't see that it was changed from 2 to 1 (different rates for each). My issue with the hotel was when I checked in and I asked them to combine my stays into one record, they should have given me choices i.e. use the rate for the first reservation or that my second rate increases due to a 2nd person. There was no dialogue so I assumed my rates were as booked. Upon checkout, the person was nice enough but useless and solved nothing. That same person talked to someone behind the desk, neither person did anything. No customer service, just the typical Italian attitude of 'your problem, not mine' when in reality this should have been dealt with at checkin and I could have made proper decisions. I left hating this hotel and never wanting to return plus I was in a bad mood the rest of the day due to how this was handled. It wasn't about the money.

Pros: the breakfast staff was fantastic. The hotel upgraded my room which was appreciated. Love the room layout and the large bathroom plus the modern conveniences.
Cons: yes, paper thin walls and you can hear the toilet paper roll in the next room. The heat in the room is absolute horrible. We didn't know the temperature was not in our control and I woke up in the middle of the night with an anxiety attack due to the claustrophic heat.

Regarding Marriott Corporate - I hope they streamline the AC hotels and clearly document the Platinum benefits. When I checked the website, I assumed breakfast was not included as it is 'AC'. A bit confusing so it is easier to just state 'at AC hotels, this is what you are entitled to'. In addition, I strongly advise Marriott to audit these hotels. My stay at AC Bologna was AMAZING and the staff was the BEST with total customer service. Quite a shame that the Firenze hotel is not to the same standard. Maybe the management at Bologna can reinvent Firenze.

From my perspective, I recommend the many Best Westerns in Firenze.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zingara
acfirenze, Direttore at AC Hotel Firenze, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jean Tayar and I am the hotel general manager. I would like to thank you for sharing with your impression with us, which with no doubt, they will help to improve our services.
Regarding your case Sir, I can assure you that we receive at least 100 reservation per week through our system and not only, and in no case we had any sort of problem, regarding the rooms occupancy and the number of people allowed per room type. In your case, the reservation was made for one person and upon your arrival, the person at the front desk, informed you that your reservation was made for one person and in case of a double occupancy, you had to pay the difference for the second person. It has nothing to do with the platinum Marriott status or a normal guest. Either a Marriott member as well as any normal guest, should pay for the difference between the double and the single occupancy.

I can understand if you are upset with this situation but I can assure you Sir, that it is clearly written and indicated, pass by pass, point by point the type of room that you are booking and the difference between a double and a single occupancy.

I remain at your complete disposal for any further assistance you may require

Sicerely yours

Jean Tayar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel if you are driving, close by of a subway where it takes you to the florence city center. You can also walk for 10-15 min to get to florence city center! Good service and with a parking lot (paid / 15 eur a night). I would stay again in this hotel! Rooms doesnt have air cond, only fan, which can be a negative point.

• Stayed January 2013
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I cannot judge other hotels in Florence but I can definitely recommend this hotel. It is absolutely Marriott standard and also above all so-la-la hotels in Italy. It has everything for your needs. The cleaness is superb. The only thing that I missed was a water cooker but that seems to be not a standard in Italy (as I found out later).

The bathroom is also huge and comes with a tub and a shower cabin.

The location is not at core city center but still very close to major attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wolfgang_FFM
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We were actually planning to spend only 1 night in florence, but after seeing the city and the hotel, we stayed 2 nights. The hotel is great, the suite was spacious and it had a cool balcony, the tub was awesome, and it gad jet-streams. The beds are comfortable, but be careful at the AC Lounge. You get charged by the number of beverages, so you can eat all you want, but drinking, say, 1 coke, will charge 5€ to your tab. 5€ for a Coke?!?!?. However, my dad had 2, i also had 2 and my sister had 1 sprite(also 5€), plus 14€ from my mom's wine. The hotel is great, nice rooms, but seriously, why charge 5€ for a soda when you can walk 2 blocks to the supermarket and pay 1.99 euros for a 2 liter coke, or fanta, or whatever you want. Overall it was a great stay

• Stayed December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Disappointed at every turn. Check-in took 45 minutes with only 1 person working the front desk (at 2pm, and even at 8pm there was still only one desk employee working). Nobody responded to any calls to the front desk and we tried several times. The room is small but efficient, but we couldn't get the room temp below 75 degrees f without opening the window, and it was very noisy on the street. Not in the safest area, so you don't want to be walking around after dark. Biggest complaint is that you can hear everything going on in the adjacent rooms, as if they were make of paper. Wifi is terrible, and only 1 free wifi device per day for our family since my husband is the only Marriott gold member. Bathroom door is made of glass and has a few inch gap at top and bottom, so there's not much bathroom privacy. We paid for 2 rooms because we were told the limit was 2 people per room...however our next door 'neighbors' have 2 adults and two kids in their room, one of whom has been crying for 3 hours. If you were thinking of using Marriott points here in Florence, I'd recommend saving the points for another city and just paying cash at a different hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a room with a nice view here...bad area. Maybe get a room at the end of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family