“Read the reviews...”

Ranked #164 of 421 Hotels in Florence
San Diego
“Read the reviews...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Before we got to Florence, I read the reviews and paid attention to the negative stuff as I always advise people. I figured we could handle the location, the lack of included breakfast, and the wi-fi, especially since we were staying on points. It's always great to stay for free and makes all those nights away from home easier to swallow.

OK, the wifi: For God's sake make it available to at least 2 devices! Seems silly, but no one, especially a couple, travels with only one device. Asking us to pay 9 euros more per day seems like an excuse to rip us off. I had no problem with the speed as some have written about.

The breakfast: Marriott's top tier guests, the ones that stay more than 75 nights per year, normally are provided with access to the concierge room so that you can get a coffee and something to eat. Not usually a big, sit down breakfast, but a roll or a bowl of cereal. But coffee for sure! At the AC Firenze that was not available unless we paid 12 euros each per day. Well, I don't think I'm a cheap guy, but there's no way I'm dropping 24 EUROS on coffee and a roll. Give me a break.

The room was good, clean, size fine for us. Walls are thin, so be aware. Staff nice enough, a little standoffish, Location, meh. We walk a lot, so not too bad for us. But this hotel is NOT in the center of things. We took a lot of taxis too. If you need to be in the center of historic district, this isn't for you.

I would stay here again if I were going on points. If not, I would pick something closer to the center of town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mjw33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I arrived with my friend and business colleague to be greeted by a man behind reception who was doing his best, but a bit 'over-nice' in my view. However, he did look after us really well and quickly checked us in and gave us our two room keys. The rooms were great, excellent beds, but the wi-fi is so slow that one would be better off buying a dongle even for a few days, believe me! The heat in the rooms was something else, very uncomfortable and the air-con seemed to be out of order. We enquired at reception with the same man and were told, 'yes, this can be the case for our wifi, and the air conditioning is switched off for the winter'. From a newly constructed property I find this totally unacceptable. My friend is a 'Premium Elite' member of the Marriott rewards club and could not believe his ears, he is writing to Marriott about both of these issues. As we sat in the foyer, I remarked to my friend how remarkable it was that the air conditioning was working in the foyer, but we were not allowed it in our rooms? If AC Marriott Hotels (Florence) want to be a truly international hotel, then they badly need to pull their socks up on these two issues! Can somebody from Marriott inc., please visit and advise them? The Wallabys rugby team had been playing in Florence and were staying at our hotel, they too complained about the wifi. My friend and I opted to sleep with the windows open and put up with the noise from the street.

Luckily, I had brought my own 3 dongle and it worked perfectly on our computers, 3 do not charge roaming fees!

Breakfast was very good and a good selection of food was provided. We are in the hotel one evening, but had to eat in the foyer as the restaurant was closed, yet we had to pay the restaurant prices, one feels 'ripped-off' in these situations.

The location of the hotel is quite good and it is a very pleasant walk to the centre of Florence.
One wonders at the Trip Advisor award, photo attached.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jobone2
Huntsville, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here to use Marriott Points. Hotel is excellent, but location is a little far to walk, but the tram is very convenient. There is not a great deal of choice in restaurants or bars for after dark, but the few places are ok so you can avoid having to eat in town or at the hotel. Did not eat at the hotel. Drinks are complimentary, but they do not provide Marriott Gold members with free breakfast. A reasonable place to stay using points, I might stay someplace closer next time. You have to 15 Euros per day for parking, but it was in their underground garage. There is an entrance from the garage to the hotel that is quite safe.

Room Tip: Good hotel, all rooms pretty much have the same view of the neighborhood or train station.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bamafredmda
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I would not choose this property again; the sleek decor is appealing however the rooms are very small. The bathroom was tiny as well, the worst part was the paper-thin walls. I'm top status with Marriott and used points for this room however was NOT provided breakfast or even a bottle of water without an additional charge. It was a big hassle to get into the city center; plan on at least a 30 minute walk to the Ponte bridge. Overall staying here dampened my enthusiasm for Florence-I found the location very depressing with our room looking onto an industrial area. For the future I will only stay near the city center and no more AC Hotels for me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
acfirenze, Direttore generale at AC Hotel Firenze, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Madame,

First of all I would like to thank you for spending your time in writing your impression on our Hotel. Impression that we will carefully take in consideration. Regarding your notification, I would like to clarify a few aspects. AC Firenze by Marriott makes part of a Marriott new hotels brand, and this brand have services included ( like the free minibar with soft drinks inclusive in the room's rate), and unfortunately the breakfast service not included for those who decide to book their room, by using the Marriott redemption points.

The city centre starts at the main train station, and if you take a look at the map, you will notice that the hotel is located in a residence area ( and not an industrial area as you mentioned in your message) at 800 meters from the main train station, which is approximately 10 minutes walking from the hotel. Obviously to go to other sites like the duomo or the ponte vecchio it takes 25/30 minutes walking.

I would like to thank you once again for your message .

Sincerely yours

Jean Tayar
Hotel General Manager
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel was nicely decorated, breakfast buffet included. The rooms are modern and clean. The only hesitation is location. You must take a taxi or the bus (which is more complicated than you'd think!) to get to the city center were everything is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aim2trvl
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very new, ultra modern facility, close to train station. Rooms are very clean good breakfast buffett.. Would not hestitate to stay here again front desk very helpful with local attractions easy walk to local attractions

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaymaui
Sitka, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I read some of the reviews posted by this community and almost didn’t stay here, but I did and am happy to report that management apparently reads the reviews. In November 2012 I showed my Marriott Rewards gold card and got both breakfast and Internet included as part of the room rate. Many thanks to members of this community whose comments may have moved this along. I asked about tickets to the museum at the front desk and was given several options, stand on line at the museum, book a slot on line myself (here is the URL), let us book it for you on the phone for this commission, or take a tour from a company that has already reserved entry slots at this cost. They outlined each option with appropriate costs. Again, thanks to those posting before me.

The desk staff, in fact the entire staff, was friendly, if sometimes under staffed. There were some lines at check in and check out. I, myself, liked eating in the lobby for the dinner I had at the hotel. It was a lively ambiance. The food was pretty good as well.

The hotel is not “Action Central” in Florence. But I found the 25 minute walk to downtown enjoyable, especially if I detoured a couple of blocks and walked along the Arno. I was there for 4 days so also got to use the light rail, €1.20 and I was at Santa Maria Novella in 5 minutes. Finally, the hop on-hop off tour bus (I took it on a rainy day) has a drop off point about a 5 to 7 minute walk from the hotel.

If you stay here you MUST go to the rooftop terrace (right off the exercise room, which also has a view) for the panorama of Florence’s skyline. In early November the sun comes up at 7 AM. It was exhilarating to stand on the roof, hear all the church bells of Florence chime at 7 and see the red glow form a corona around the cathedral dome just before the sun broke through just at the right of the dome. Do yourself a favor and experience this before your morning espresso. The view of the dome lit at night from the hotel rooftop is also worth the short elevator ride.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple