“Great little hotel”

Ranked #385 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

found this hotel by myself when i traveled with friends and we had a pleasure time with them. very friendly owner and helpful for really good local restaurants and place to visit around FLorence. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vietnamesegod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

If I could give this hotel less than 1 star, I would. Firstly, you have to travel up 3 fights of stairs (which seem to get steeper as you reach the top) before you reach the hotel reception - or you could take your life into your own hands and use the lift.

Once you have reached the reception, usually panting and about to go into cardiac arrest, a bent-over Italian woman will then proceed to shout at you in Italian to be quiet. Again, there is another two flight staircase which is very narrow. We arrived in Florence in what happened to be a heatwave, everyday was no lower than 40 degrees celcius, but we had been warned earlier that there was no air con, but we didn't expect what met us when we got to our rooms.

My room was a room of five, which also appeared to be a hospital room from the 1940s, complete with campbeds and rocks for pillows. There was a tv rack about six feet up in the air but no tv. The shutters on the windows were both broken so we could not open or close them making the room unbearably hot (you could just about fit your head through the gap). The toilet seat had cracks and splits in it, one of which was held together with cellotape (I have photos) and the mirrors were covered in rust around the edges. In my friends room next door the five beds were are lined up next to each other which was even worse.

What was most frightening though was having to hand in the keys to your room everytime you left the hotel (oh, and the keys also had to be plugged into the wall to make the electricity work). The keys would be kept right by the entrance and the reception was often empty, so anyone could literally lean over the desk and get the keys as we did. On the plus side there was wifi! Although you had to go out of your room to connect.

PLEASE PLEASE don't book here!! It was the worst hotel I've ever seen!! There must be comedies based on it!!

Room Tip: Best advice: find a different hotel!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pinkfeet3

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

San Mateo, California
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We came upon the hotel and entered the two person lift to get us up to the 3rd floor to registration. We had an extremely crappy hotel in Rome, so I requested to see the room prior to our checking in. I entered the room, which was a triple and was completely disgusted. i went back out to guy at the front desk and asked him if this was as good as he could do. He told me that I was welcome to walk down two blocks to some four star hotels but was sure I would not be able to find a vacancy as there was a 6,000 person convention in town. I had my husband stay with our bags as my son and I went in search of an acceptable place we could stay in. Low and behold every hotel was completely booked so we had no choice but to stay here. The room itself was roomy enough but the beds and pillows were hard as bricks and the room was dirty. It had a tile floor with loose tiles (all the more to stub your toes with) and the bathrom was small and dirty as well. I was very, very disappointed in this room and even more mad that we had nowhere else to stay. I would not ever go back here and would rate this hotel as less than 1 star. It was loud and dirty and the beds were almost unsleepable. The tv did work and the shower had hot water but the only saving grace was that we were spending only one night here. This is clearly a place where students with little money would stay or if you don't mind the place not being clean or comfortable. I would not return to this hotel nor spend my hard earned money on this dump.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Bissell1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This place is not going to win awards for a grand stay - it is very simple and the rooms are minimal. However for our stay it was perfect - Benedict working behind reception made our visit to Florence memorable with the best (and affordable) recommendations of what to see/do and where to eat. One restaurant was easily the best food i had the whole time i was in Italy. When we left he even came for coffee with us!

I haven't left a review before in my life but felt i had to because the staff were so great to us.

Long and short is if you're looking to be pampered then stay elsewhere but if you're looking for an affordable base to lie your head in Florence and get great recommendations / a clean large room / brilliant location (easily found next to the river) hot shower and friendly staff stay here. Myself I am of the persuasion that why spend all the money on a hotel when you'll be spending most your time exploring the city. This place was great

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lngboarder887
Ferrara, Italy
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I'm Italian and I'm in Florence every week, so I guess I know what I can expect. This has been an emergency solution and it proved a really poor one.
Easy to find (don't know how you can miss it) and people are actually nice, but the room was not was I expected by pictures and, more important, it was dirty and with stained sheets. Definitely not where I want to stay.
And all of that for the price of a nice room in many other places, I would say. This week there is some event filling hotels, so I had very little choice.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MicheleB71
Paris
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Of course this hotel isn't a four stars palace. But it's just so far from the previous description.
According to our dear WASP tourists, the location is hard to fine. With or even without a map and half a brain, l think you can reach it very easily. And the location is really good next to restaurants and historical centre of Florence.
Some of them "wouldn't expect it to be a hotel". Indeed! lt's an old florentian building! A the hotel is installed in an former privat flat. What do they expect? A red carpet and an liftman? The elevator is small, but we can't dicently expect a bigger one in such a place. So you have to reach the third floor on foot with your luggages. What a big deal! (The staircase is far from being "teeny").
The landlord and the landlady are really nice. And they do all their best to you. You have a great liberty to go and go back when ever you want. The receptionist or the nightkeeper are often not very far and really nice and helpfull.
The breakfast is really good with plenty of choise. And plenty of time (of course we were there during the low season).
The check out day, we were allowed to let our luggages in a room till the evening. It was really convenient for us.

We have a great time in the hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank gohatto
Boston
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Oh my goodness. I can confidently say after staying here that this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I went here with my friends as part of a group tour, and luckily the tour said they will never book that hotel again. From the outside it doesn't look too bad, but after walking up the four flights of stone stairs to get to the actual hotel (it's on the third [fourth to Americans] floor of some random building) it got worse. I was also on the second level of the hotel, which the elevator doesn't go to, so I had to haul my luggage up a teeny spiral staircase. The elevator also only fit two people, and despite the fact that I can read, the staff yelled that at us every time we stepped outside the door, as if we were going to try to squeeze five people into that death trap of an elevator. Any noise we made in the hotel we were yelled at for, and I guess that one time one of the staff started swearing in Italian at our group, so our tour guide had to have a word with him. Other than the staff being incredibly rude, the place was just dirty. Our towels never got changed and the floor was gross. It wasn't very safe either, as we had to turn the keys in when we were leaving, yet the front desk that they were kept behind was rarely occupied. Granted, no one would ever come to that place to find riches, but oh well.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BCgirl09