My wife and I just stayed at the SanGaggio house for the past three nights. We were in the middle leg of our honeymoon trip throughout Italy.
For my TA friends planning a future trip to Florence, here's my rundown of the place:
First, the good ...
1) Flaminia - Our host, Flaminia, was very, very friendly and helpful. Like the other reviewers have said, she and her staff make breakfast every morning (although I certainly wouldn't use superlatives to describe it - it was the equivalent of what you might find at a good hotel in the US).
2) Location - The house is on top of a hill in an upper-middle class residential neighborhood on the outskirts of Florence. It overlooks the Boboli Gardens, and - for fans of Dan Brown out there - it's a hop, skip and jump away from where Langdon passed by, i.e. the Porta Romana is right down the hill.
Next, the not-so-good ....
1) Our Scare - We arrived on a Wednesday evening at 8pm. When our taxi dropped us off, we found a sign on the gate that read "Check in time is from 2:30 to 5:30pm. Call XXXX for after hours check in. Do not ring the door bell." Since we didn't have an international cell phone, we weren't able to make a call. We then trekked down the hill and down a dark road - with our heavy luggage in tow - looking for someone who could help us make a call. Long story short, we lucked out, but we were close to just finding another hotel.
2) WiFi - There's free wifi at the house, but it is horribly unreliable. It cuts out about every 10 minutes, and when it's on, it's slow.
3) Mosquitoes - Both my wife and I were bit at least five times each by mosquitoes. Be ready with insect repellent.
4) Privacy - As other commenters have mentioned, the walls are very thin and it's hard not to be bothered by other guests (even those who are not loud). On our last night, there was a neighbor who was playing live music (drums and singing) up until about midnight. Luckily, we'd grown accustomed to staying up late, but I can see how others would be bothered by this.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your SanGaggio House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sangaggio House Hotel Florence