“Strictly for independent travelers”

Tornabuoni Suites Collection
Ranked #13 of 310 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Paris, France
“Strictly for independent travelers”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

First ,I would like to to be clear that my husband is fluent in Italian and we have been to Florence many times before ,this situation makes it really very easy for us to stay in a serviced apartment,but after driving for 7 hours from the south of France we arrived at the Tornobuoni suites in the late afternoon luckily with just 2 small bags,There was no porter nor a doorman but just Marco the building guard below.We finally go up to the 5th floor expecting to arrive to a penthouse lobby or a posh hall way but instead to find a bare hallway with construction going on(Hard hat workers!) not in one apartment but in the entire hall and the 2 empty apartments.
I would like to let the other readers know that Tornobuoni Suites is not a Hotel but only serviced apartments(4 to be exact) on the top floor of an office building.On weekdays there is someone working and guarding the door from 8 am till 6 pm then later on the door is closed and in the evening the building becomes dark and a bit on the creepy side,luckily I am with my husband who knows how do to everything.On our first night the electricity went completely off and again lucky for my I've got a European mobile and was able to call Larisa and it seems that this happens all the time and she instructed me to go to the hallway to turn back on the electricity via electrical box.I was a bit hesitant but after a few tries ,the electricity went back on.
On our 3rd day we decided to move to the terrace suite below because the Belvedere suite above was not to our liking although it had a magnificent view it was not on the the lift floor but on the very top floor which is about 15 to 20 flights of stairs,the door does not shut well,you have to literally slam the door and good thing the suite beside us was empty or we would have had an enemy the following day.
On our last night ,sunday it was raining heavily at around 7 pm and our door bell rang but when we asked who it was?No answer and we were smart enough not to open the door,never not in an empty building!
My husband and I figured that for Europeans like ourselves it was all right to be completely on our own but for other couples or guest from the U.S. or asia or other parts of the world not belonging to Europe,you would need assistance all the time.It was easy for me to call Larisa because I had a mobile phone but what about others? There is no telephone in the room,no room service,no concierge and very poor security(no safes in the room),instead of enjoying my day I was worying that my laptop would be stolen and our cash ,so instead we just brought our jewelry and cash with us,not very smart thing to do.
The apartment was nice,clean and spacious and Larisa the manager was extremely nice and helpful with our restaurant reservations .We did not need assistance with directions because we knew our way around.
The terrace suites and the suite across our door was very nice,bright and had many closet space and would be perfect for a couple with children who have the option of cooking at home.The cable Television,air conditioning,and wi fi internet was great!
I would definitely come back ,we had a pleasant stay but again I would not recommend this to honeymooners and older couples ,you not get breakfast in bed and chocolates on your pillow .The sheets are not changed daily ,only the towels are,sunday there is no maid service so be careful not to ran out of toilet paper.Again the bed....awful!
For the price you pay,it is really in a great location and the apartments are spacious but you have to be an independent traveler with a lot of knowledge about the city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank globalspoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
England
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This is a great place to stay if you want somewhere central to stay in Florence that's not outrageously expensive - and you don't mind not having the full amenities of a hotel. This was fine for us as we ate out all the time.
The suites are at the top of an old building on via Tornabuoni which is bascially the Bond St of Florence and just a stone's throw away from pretty much anything you might want to do there.
It's a bit of an odd system - you ring in advance and Larissa (who's lovely) cycles over to let you in.
The rooms were clean and well decorated - modern, upmarket Ikea-ish by design.
What you see on their website is pretty much what you get.
My only gripes would be i) that the 'common parts' of the building were a bit grotty compared to the standard of the room itself and (more importantly) ii) the bed was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in - really saggy in the middle. I tried the sofa bed, which wasn't much better and ended up putting the sofa bed mattress on the floor, which was a bit much at £220 a night...
Still, the view was spectacular...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Turrettwo
London
Reviewed October 9, 2008

The Tornabuoni suites are aiming at a luxury market so do set expectations... I stayed at the new Ponte Vecchio suites and for the most part these expectations were met.

I was met on arrival by Larisa, the very helpful manager of the suites. She was always able to help with my requests throughout my stay.

The suite was excellently furnished with a sense of taste and quality throughout. The bathroom was better than all the 4* hotels I stayed in - I will miss the monsoon shower-head when I am home!

The two LCD tvs were an unexpected bonus, as was the affordable minibar...

The only negatives I have were that the quality of the finish was sometimes lacking, but only on close inspection. There were some light switches that seemed to have no purpose, some plug sockets that didn't work etc... but overall these were minor issues that never negatively affected my stay.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in Florence; the location was perfect for exploring the city on foot, and the spaciousness and comfort of the suite definitely justifies the expense.

I will be staying here again when I come back.

• Liked — Comfort, location, space
  • Disliked — Wi-fi didn't work; no other complaints!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed September 21, 2007

It is very hard to come up with a definitive rating here - couples and younger people thirsting to explore the Florentine experience may easily rate it as a '5', while older people and business travellers may well leave its premises rather unimpressed.

The facts are these : gorgeous views over the rooftops of Florence ( ours, the Belvedere suite, facing towards a majestic Tuscany sunset ) , a very prestigious address in Florence's foremost shopping district, very close proximity to the Arno and a 5-10 min walk to the Duomo and the Palazzo Vechio ( and what fine walks these are ). It is also very close to the train station - unless you carry a lot of luggage, no need to take a taxi there.

The suite itself was OK, very clean and airy and of adequate size for two people but somewhat short on amenities ( small fridge, no real possiblity of cooking inside ). The bedroom is nice with a TV and a large window facing west, while the bathroom ( with a shower ) was again OK but lacking somthing special to distinguish it ( but it does have a fine view also ).

The building is of course an old one, imparting on its residents a touch of the city's atmosphere ( we realy liked it for that fact and would overlook the occasional annoying smell penetrating into the elevator) . Note that the suites are located on the building's upper two floors, while the elevator stops at the floor below them - a matter of concern for disabled people and possibly for older travellers as well.

Those looking for a number of hotel services as a prerequisite for a relaxing holiday stay, they better look eslewhere. There is a clean-up service everyday ( except Sunday ), while Janice ( the American who manages the place ) will be there to greet you and show you around. She is really helpful, knows Florence inside-out and is one phone call away from helping you arrange whatever you wish to do in the city, or sort out any problems that might arise - and that is pretty much all. To be fair, there must also be an option to provide breakfast on request - we never used it, as there are many options for that close by.

So, how do I rate this place ? I understand that some people will find it inconvenient and short on services, but in the internet age one is not excused for not knowing what he is getting himself into when booking a hotel. Therefore, speaking for those wishing to experience something of Florence and not just visit it, I'd say it's a solid 4.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tashko
London
Reviewed October 27, 2006

The Tornabuoni suites are beautifully/tastefully maintained with all modern amenities and in excellent central locations.

We stayed in the Belvedere suite which is situated in a beautiful pallazzo on Via Tornabuoni ; Florence's prime shoping street. It is within walking distance from all the main sites and boasts stunning views of the Florentine roof tops.

The owner's attention to detail and care for his guests became apparent to us for the moment we arrived.

Check out their web site. In my opinion it will give you an honest idea of what you are getting:

(---)

• Liked — Room decor and view
  • Tips/Secrets — This is not a hotel so don't expect 24H room service or bell boys
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple