“Good location/poor cleanliness”

Ranked #237 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good location/poor cleanliness”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel is in a fabulous location. A couple of minute walk to the Duomo, Mercato Central and the S.M.N train station.
The room that I had was on the same floor as the check- in desk, but I do know they also have rooms upstairs. If you are booking here, I would recommend asking for a room upstairs. I was after a cheap room with a good location, which is exactly what I got here, but next time I would pay a little extra for the better room or find a room in one of the many hostels in Florence. The room did not have a toilet, but did have a shower (warm water, which I appreciated). The room was miserably hot at night which I hadn't expected as it was not a hot day, so when I could not sleep at 3 am due to being so uncomfortable, I opened the window to let a breeze in. This did help me sleep, but I woke up with 10 mosquito bites- I wish that were an exaggeration. Front desk was very friendly.
Bottom line: ask for a room upstairs, find another spot or if you are in for a truly budget stay and don't mind the room being a little less than clean- this is fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I personally greatly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. For 50 euros a night (plus local tax) this is a great bargain in the middle of Florence. I would liken it to staying at a Days Inn, which I stay at one quite often, but if you do not like Days Inns, I would not recommend this hotel. Here are some details: this hotel is a short walk from the SMN train station. It took my husband and I less than 10 minutes. There is an elevator up to the hotel, which is on the second floor. The owner of the hotel is extremely kind and helpful. He made reservations for us at the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia several months in advance. Once we got there, he also recommended a restaurant to us that we loved (Trattoria Palle d'Oro, ask him for directions and then get the tourist menu. We loved it!). The hotel was very clean. I thought breakfast (included) was delicious. We had yummy croissants with chocolate Nutella, rolls, orange juice, and hot chocolate. He also had coffee and tea. There is free wifi which we used with no problems. It was a fast connection - we were even able to watch YouTube videos. There is a TV, but if you don't speak Italian it won't do you much good. The only English channel we found was 1980's music videos (and yes, we watched it!). Obviously this is not their fault, but I just wanted to warn you. We were a five minute walk to the Duomo and less than 15 minutes to every major sight in Florence.

Our room did not have a bathroom and it was not a big deal to us. We never had to wait for it for more than 5 minutes.

Now, I do want to mention a couple of things. First - the owner and/or his sister smoke. I never actually saw them doing it, but the smell was in the lobby and hallways. My room did not smell like smoke. Second, his sister is not particularly nice. If you meet her first, do not despair, as he is much nicer. Third, there was a hole in our sheet and a couple cigarette stains on the top cover of the bed. Again, these things do not bother me and you would see this at a Days Inn, but I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to young couple and backpackers. If you are older or a family, I hope this review helps you make an educated decision as to whether or not this hotel is right for you. I would absolutely stay here again, but I do not think it is right for everyone.

Room Tip: I was in room #4 and it was very close to the breakfast room and breakfast starts at 8 a.m. If you p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon S
Philippines
Reviewed November 13, 2012

You might have a bit of a difficulty looking for it as I did, but once you find it, you'd feel a bit stupid not finding it sooner. It is right beside the square beside the Capella Medici and marked by imposing wooden doors which opened mechanically to reveal an inner gate. There is an elevator to bring you to the B&B, but note that it stops at half-floors, so you have to bring your bags up one flight of stairs. The proprietor is super nice! Our room was very comfortable with lovely open windows and the view to the street was nice, although the bathroom was a bit small. Continental breakfast with Nutella was served in a common room with the rest of the guests. You can also opt to have dinner at Ristorante Pizzeria Lorenzo de’ Medici which is just below the hotel.

I loved Hotel Aldobrandini! Well, except for the proprietor’s “smokestack” sullen sister.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mayfsi
Bowdoin, Maine
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Easily reached from the train station and close to most attractions, the Hotel Aldobrandini is a no frills Bed ands Breakfast with clean, good sized bedrooms. We chose a room with a shared bathroom, but had a sink in the room and had no problem with waiting for a shower. Next to the Medici Chapel and a short walk from the Duomo, the indoor market and outdoor stalls, this hotel is situated inside a large old building and has an elevator, adequate breakfasts, and very reasonably priced rooms. We appreciated being able to walk to all the sights (except for Fiesole, but it's easy to get to the bus) as well as the maps and tips offered by the manager. (We used booking.com to reserve the room.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maines
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

the owner is very nice, good service and attended, breakfast average and eatable, good location (a short distance to the terminal and all the turistic places) but the bathrooms awful...the building even inside is very old.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MightyMMigue
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The location near the train station can't be beat! Its in the heart of the city near lots of great attractions and was very easy to find. We had our own room with a shared bathroom and it worked out great for our 1-night stay. If we had stayed longer, I'd have sprung for a private bath, but in the time we were there, I never had to wait. The owner was so nice and accommodating, the bed was comfortable, and the A/C worked great. The reviewers complaining about noise must have had their windows open, because when they're closed, you can't hear anything on the street below. The breakfast was delicious and filling and everything was clean and in order. I highly recommend Hotel Aldobrandini for a stay in Florence! I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ERoe11
Calgary
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Booked one night here as we were returning a rented car before catching a train. Certainly the price was right but.........

The Hotel is located in an interesting older building and is located near many of Florence's attractions. It is within easy walking distance of the train station. The entrance is a huge automated wooden door that creaks as it opens and closes and people with a vivid imagination will think they are entering something other than a hotel.

On the negative side we found the noise factor to be quite high & it was so until well after midnight. The woman who checked us in had definitely forgotten to take her friendly pill that day & I suspect everyday. Other staff, particularly the owner were certainly better in this regard. They could use a light in the stair case as it is pitch dark dark at night and while there is an elevator available there is no good reason to render the stairs unusable after dark.

Positively we had no real complaints relative to cleanliness which is obviously a top priority. Breakfast was included but given time restraints we did not have an opportunity too try it.

This is a OK option for the budget conciouse traveler but I would prefer to add a few euros and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple