“Very nice hotel !”

Ranked #121 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Yenzi
“Very nice hotel !”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Although the hotel i located near the airport, it only is a 10 minute bus ride from the city center. Rooms are modern and clean. The breakfast was very, very good. I have to agree with previous reviews: the front desk staff is superb.

If you a tired to stay in small old rooms in downtown/historic center hotels, this is a great option.

2 Thank Marcelo72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Superb front desk staff. Property very modern, clean. Only a short night spent here due to early flight, but very nice. 5 minutes from airport.

• Stayed October 2011
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2011

As others here, we stayed at the Cosmopolitan Concept to simplify getting to our early morning flight.

The hotel is very modern, with well appointed rooms. Somehow we wound up on the top floor, in a corner room with wall to wall windows on two walls. This was a nice surprise and gave the room a very airy feeling. Our room was not large by north American standards, but was a good size for Europe. The bed was very nice, and everything was clean and well maintained.

The staff were very helpful, providing directions for how to get to central Florence by bus, and recommendations for a restaurant. There is parking on site, although apparently on a first come first served basis. We had no trouble parking. Although the wifi was 5 euros extra, it was very fast and simple to access.

The bus trip to Santa Maria Novella took about an hour, and was very simple with no transfers required.

It is close to the airport, about 5 minutes drive, and there are several gas stations within a block of the hotel, making that last minute rental car fill easy (note though that there are no staff at any of them on Sundays, so you have to pay by cash).

This hotel is located in a suburb of Florence, and is very convenient to get to the airport. I would recommend it for that purpose.

Room Tip: Our top floor corner room was very nice.
1 Thank BBCalgary
Sunset Beach, NC
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I reserved a room at the Cosmopolitan Concept hotel in Florence because we had a very early flight back to the states the next moring and wanted a hotel close to the airport and the reviews of this hotel looked good.

We wanted to do some sightseeing in Florence on our last day, so I contacted the hotel to see if they would store our luggage for us before check-in time and they said they would. We arrived at the hotel around 10 AM, and instead of storing our bags they let us check in to our room which was a real plus. We told the desk clerk we had an early flight and she immediately called and reserved a taxi to pick us up the next morning.

There are three buses into the Florence train station (10-15 minute ride) that stop outside the hotel. The desk clerk sold us the tickets and gave us a detailed street map showing where the bus would let us off and where to get the return bus. If you do this, make sure you get directions to the return stop since it is several blocks away from where you get off.

Our room was a nice size, with a comfortable king size bed, a good size bathroom,a room safe and closet space. The rooms are decorated in a modern style and ours was clean and quiet even though it faced the main street.

I have no complaints at all about our one night stay. The employees were all very friendly and the hotel was nice. At 5 AM the next morning, the desk clerk even brewed us coffee and gave a bottles of juice to drink. The taxi arrived 5 minutes early.

1 Thank Coldbrew
New York, NY
Reviewed September 19, 2011

As all hotels in central Florence are very expensive and driving in the restricted areas is a daunting prospect, we decided on this hotel for the free parking and good rate. Once we got to Florence, we were not disappointed. Hotel is modern, clean (although room a bit small) and served by 3 bus lines that take you to the main train station in 15-20m for the cheap fare of 1.20euro. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only problem could be returning to the hotel at night as buses are not as frequent, but we took a cab from near the Duomo and it was 15euro including the 6.60 nightly surcharge. Breakfast was rich with cheese, bread rolls, scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt, coffee drinks, fruit etc. This was an excellent choice if you arrive by car and want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of overcrowded Florence.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
greece
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel was really good, modern and clean (on the whole), the room was nice, staff was very friendly and helpful, breakfast was good (eggs and bacon included), bus stop to the city centre is right next to the hotel, free parking, good value for money. It’s not in the city center, but it takes just 15 mins by bus to get to central staion. Only problem was that the carpet in our room needed a good wash which kinda spoiled an otherwise excellent experience.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that doesn’t mind staying a bit outside city center or is in Florence by car and won’t spent too much time to the city center, just enough to see the main attractions, and wants to travel around Tuscany (as we did).

To ξενοδοχείο ήταν πραγματικά καλό, μοντέρνο και καθαρό (εν γένει), το δωμάτιο ωραίο, το προσωπικό φιλικό και εξυπηρετικό, καλό πρωινό, η στάση λεωφορείων για το κέντρο είναι δίπλα στο ξενοδοχείο, δωρεάν πάρκιν, καλή σχέση τιμής - αξίας. Δεν είναι στο κέντρο της πόλης, αλλά το λεωφορείο κάνει μόλις 15 λεπτά για to σταθμό τρένων (κέντρο). Το μόνο πρόβλημα ήταν ότι η μοκέτα του δωματίου μας δεν ήταν πολύ καθαρή κάτι που χάλασε τις κατά τα λοιπά άριστες εντυπώσεις.
Θα το συνιστούσα σε κάποιον αν δεν τον πείραζε να μείνει λίγο έξω από το κέντρο ή αν ταξιδεύει με αυτοκίνητο και δεν θα είναι συνέχεια στο κέντρο, απλά μόνο για να δει τα κυριότερα αξιοθέατα, αλλά θέλει να γυρίσει την περιοχή της Τοσκάνης (όπως κάναμε εμείς).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Preface:
------------

I stayed here for a little over a week in July.
The price was affordable compared to hotels in central Firenze. As I was planning to explore the city I had my doubts about the location, but mostly positive reviews here - along with the prospect of a modern hotel with internet support - convinced me to give it a shot.
The Cosmopolitan largely did not disappoint, and you will soon see why.

Location:
-------------

First of all, let's get the distance issue out of the way, shall we?
The hotel is located outside of central Firenze, in a reasonable safe - if somewhat drab - residential area.
Indeed, if you are coming as a tourist, it is nowhere near anything you may have interest in. Walking to any major sight is a daunting prospect. It is possible if you are somewhat fit and not in a hurry, but as it takes more than an hour, I cannot recommend doing so on a regular basis.
Taxis should take around 15 Euro (not speaking from experience here).
The preferred solution is buses, which during daytime are plentiful (three lines serve a station right outside the hotel) and at 1.20E per direction, are rather inexpensive. Conveniently, tickets are also sold at the hotel reception.

Unless you are heading to one of the bridges, the closest the buses will drop you off to any major sight will be the train station. Punch your ticket, and disembark when most people do (don't be surprised to see the driver keep the motor running as the buses actually do a circle - it can be confusing for first timers). It is around a ten minute ride and you can take the exact same stop to go back (don't cross the road!).

The bad news is that from around 8 at night, public transportation dwindles out to about 1 line per bus per hour. So my advice is to either plan ahead to be at your stop, take a taxi or hoof it and burn some of that lasagna.

Room:
----------

I was content to find my (standard double) room spacious, clean and nicely lit.
It had, much like the reception and dining room, an air of modernity, which must be difficult to come by in a city that prides itself on maintaining the past.
The bathroom was just as clean and reasonaly sized, though oddly contained only a smallish shower.
I suspect more expensive types of rooms do feature a bath, so take that into consideration if having a warm roman style bath is part of your Italian experience.

The air conditioning in the room was adjustable. It was silent and worked well. And, since the hotel is on a major, somewhat noisy street, there's a good chance you'll be sleeping with the window closed.
(One pet peeve I had is that since the air conditioner shuts itself periodically even while the window is closed, I had some worries that it won't start at the temperature I had set it and eventually the air in the room might run out. I guess it works that way since electricity, as a resource, is a concern in Italy)

---------------

Amenities were somewhat basic, which is unusual for a place who prides itself as a boutique or "Concept" hotel.
Shower cap, soap bar and liquid soap/shampoo/conditioner (together...) and plastic cups - whose existence I suppose will irk some folks who come to Tuscany to appreciate its wines. There was no kettle in my standard double room and reception would not lend it upon request, offering hot water instead (which could hardly be considered a convenient replacement).

However I did get a coffee on the house while waiting for my taxi to the airport - which I thought was a nice touch.
To sum up, amenities is an area which could use a bit of improvement.

Breakfast:
--------------

Breakfast was certainly adequate. The buffet featured most of the basic things I expected:
Buns (only type of bread), hard boiled eggs, plain omelette, bacon, salami (no sausage), two types of cheese, canned sweet fruit, fresh apples, lettuce (no other vegetables), brioches and pound cake (it was not too dry), cereal (individual boxes! Nice and fresh though not eco friendly I suppose) and plenty of yoghurt.

As for drinks, aside from orange and some multi-vitamin juice, you could either get coffee-a-plenty from a machine which never seemed to run out of.
Typically once, the staff woman offers a choice of cappuccino or "coffee" (espresso for us non-Italians).

No complaints here.

Internet:
------------

I used Wi-Fi and therefore cannot comment on wired internet - which I did not use.
Wi-Fi costs 10 Euro per 24 hour.
I found this poorly advertised (my reservation form suggested I should inquire at the hotel and the website simply proudly announced there's Wi-Fi all across the property).

I find this to be less than proper conduct on the management's behalf - not to mention that I believe in this day and age internet should be included in the room price - much like no self respecting hotel would think of charging for electricity and water.

As for the staff themselves, I have far more positive things to say. They were extra attentive to any issue I had with Wi-Fi reception, and I got the feeling across the board they wanted my experience to go smoothly. Special props go to Anton, the night guy. But the whole crew acted professionally in all respects, and made it a point to greet the guests upon their return.

Conclusion:
-----------------

Whether you can contemplate a stay in Firenze that is somewhat removed from the sights, is up to you, of course. As soon as the management irons out some minor issues (such as making internet free and adding a couple of much-needed amenities), that choice will be a complete no-brainer.
As it is today, with polite and professional staff, new rooms, an uncharacteristically filling breakfast (for Italy) and typically reasonable rates, Continental Hotel makes your choice an all the more easier one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank FrippAdvisor