“Trying to be trendy & missing the mark”

Borghese Palace Art Hotel
Ranked #137 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 20, 2010

The location of this hotel is good. You can walk to most places that you will want to see in Florence from here very quickly. The hotel is trying to be artsy, but frankly is the art just looks cheap and tacky. The pictures on the webpage make it look at lot classier than it really is.

The front desk manager was a pompous and arrogant. He literally had his nose in the air when he spoke to us (FYI...the gal who worked the afternoon shift was the exact opposite...very helpful). When we asked if he could confirm/check on our reservation at the Uffizi, first he made some excuse about why he couldn't, then he said he would and confirm to us in the afternoon. Well he didn't bother did he? He also told us that there's no way we would need a reservation for the Galleria dell'Accadamia (which we found out had a min of a 3 hour queue everyday)...read lazy...he couldn't be bothered to help out at all. We did manage to get this all sorted/booked later in the day with the young lady behind the desk who was very pleasant.

There was also a young (sounded English) fella at the hotel who brought our bags up. He was very friendly and helpful.

Be prepared for tiny rooms. They are clean, but small.

Oh, and the AC may not work. Ours didn't, so we had to sleep with the windows open. No biggie, except: we got eaten alive by mosquitos & the hotel had a private party with a very loud band that went on until the wee hours one night. Usually, we wouldn't care at all, but we had a train to catch the next morning. In our opinion throwing a noisy private party at the hotel until late in the evening is pretty rude to your guests who are paying for a restful night's sleep.

What I found most amusing was that upon check out they actually ask you to go on Trip Advisor to rate them...that's not particularly funny in itself, but the fact that they actually ask you to rate them a 5* amused me immensely...sorry guys, but you have a few things to work on first, ie. have the gal work the front desk all the time...that other fella is a snooty jerk!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kanzi75
There are newer reviews for Borghese Palace Art Hotel

Reviewed November 13, 2010

Our three day stay at the Borghese Palace Hotel was the best part of our trip to Florence. The staff helped us negotiate the maze of tourist problems inherent in Florence plus the hotel was physically centered in the geographical midst of all the important museums and tourist attractions. I can't imagine a better place to stay while in Florence. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating is because of one day of morning hot water problems which -- to be fair -- was fixed by the following day.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at the Borghese Palace Art Hotel and were beyond pleased with all details of the hotel. I booked the hotel based on other reviews and because we prefer more modern, boutique hotels, which can be difficult to find in Florence. The hotel is in an ideal location of the city - a five minute walk to the Duomo and all other major attractions - but we were also able to easily find non-touristy areas by just walking a few blocks East of the hotel. Upon our late afternoon arrival, we were told we were upgraded to a suite on a Saturday at no additional cost. The reception of the hotel is unique with local art and a funky vibe. The bar always seemed empty, but beautifully appointed. Our room was fantastic - huge for Italy standards. The bed was soft, nice pillows, and a big bathroom. The service was excellent and brought us ice, wine openers, and gave us fantastic recommendations for dinner and made reservations for us. The breakfast was one of the best we had in Italy - with full buffet included in price of the room. Our stay was delightful and I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a modern, fresh, and centrally located hotel in Florence.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

It was a nice surprise to be in such a beautiful hotel. It is a modern hotel in a old palace, decorated with a good taste. It is located in the hearth of Florence, in a calm and very charming street.
The personnel is very kind (Mrs . Annalisa is a very nice girl, very helpful and always with a smile for everybody), the breakfast was good and we really recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Borghese Palace is a wonderful combination of hip, friendly, affordable and central. I can't recall the exact price, but I remember it being reasonable for what we received. The staff, especially the front desk personnel, are extremely friendly, flexible and knowledgeable. The gym is also a great plus at this price. it was clean and under used. Though the steam room did not seem to work, the sauna was great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I would add my thoughts to the person who stayed here recently and wrote that this is "not an ideal place to stay." Napoleon's sister lived here after she married into the Italian family of Borghese, but I hope her room was not so small! The room was "economical" in size (for want of a better word) and the bathroom was tiny. But worst of all was the presence of what I presume was an English hen party making a racous noise from some rooftop patio until after 1 am on Saturday night (note to manager: it was 6/7 August and staff were uninterested in my complaint). I know they were English, because they were so loud you could easily discern their English accents. I was disappointed at paying a lot of money for a weekend break in Florence, at an "art" hotel (the art is vulgar and ostentatious), for it to be ruined by even more vulgar guests. I know an hotel does not choose its customers, but reading through the other reviews, I cannot help feeling that this place is a magnet for hen nights and just downright vulgar slappers. People in search of a quiet place beware!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sumarokov-Elston
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We booked this hotel as part of our honeymoon and of all the places we stayed in Italy (there were 5 hotels ) this was the most disappointing. We chose the hotel purely based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor . When we arrived we were told that there was no parking at the hotel but there was a car park next door. It was very expensive, more expensive than the car park in the centre of Rome , but we felt we had little choice but to leave the car there. The entrance to the hotel was beautiful , the paintings and the sculptures were really interesting to look at , so we had high hopes for the rooms. However when we got there we were quite shocked at how substandard they were. It was almost as if the rooms were an afterthought. First impressions there was no view from the window , the TV was lobsided and the bedroom and bathroom were tiny. The bathroom was so tiny that when I flushed the toliet and forgot to put the lid down the water sprayed all over my legs, whilst I was standing at the sink washing my hands...gross! After the first night of staying in the room we returned from breakfast to a pungent smell of drains . Then to our further disappointment when my husband stepped out of the shower he caught his foot on a nail that was sticking out from the door frame which was hanging off the wall. After complaining we were promptly moved to another room in which had bubbled paint on the wall above the bed which I assume was from damp from the ajoining bathroom. The best things about this hotel were the breakfasts, which was continental but had lots of choice, the location of the hotel which was close to all of the major sites and the basic spa facilites which offered a much needed rest from sightseeing. I am sure however that there are much nicer hotels in Florence especially for the price which when you add the cost of the car parking to is expensive. I personally wouldn't choose to stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple